Low Intensity Infrared garage heaters

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Looking at options for heating the garage. Its pretty warm now as its super insulated but it does get a bit chilly when it hits -30 here in MN :)

Anyone have experience with these low intensity infrared units?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
What do you mean by "Low Intensity Infrared garage heaters"? 'You mean the electric powered ones or...?

I used a pair of nat. gas powered infrared units in the pumphouse of a car wash I once owned. They worked like a charm. 'Thermostats worked completely independent of any outside power source. IOW, even if all the power in town was knocked out for days - the pumphouse stayed warm as toast regardless. ('Only needed ONE to heat the area, but, I installed TWO in case the thermostat on one of 'em died...or one of the units itself died. That way the pumphouse would still be heated.)

They looked a lot like these:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...ci_sku=17353&gclid=CPX8msnckcICFQWTfgodCFQAYQ

Propane units are avail. too...

(Edit: Now that I think about it, I believe mine were "Mr. Heater" units.)

Last edited:

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
I use Freidrich window units year round which cool and heat in both garages.

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Gas powered are the ones I was told about.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Do it. You won't be sorry. They work.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
I use Freidrich window units year round which cool and heat in both garages.
If those are the mini split heat pumps, I have one in my garage (2 ton), but it pretty much maxes out at about -25c...no way will it work in -30f. Do yours work in -30?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Do it. You won't be sorry. They work.

When it comes to garages I would take EP's words as gospel! He is the foremost expert on cars and garages!

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
When it comes to garages I would take EP's words as gospel! He is the foremost expert on cars and garages!

Merciless!

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
They work best when placed over empty floor space so their energy goes into the slab. The slab is then the energy reservoir. Avoid placing them directly over a parked car and certainly not less than 12' over a vehicle, they could overheat objects directly underneath. Depending on the model they deliver a significant amount of accumulated energy and work really well over a concrete slab that then re-radiates the energy all winter. Good options for garages if used correctly. Propane or nat. gas.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
GT Drummer is located in Richmond VA, -30 isn't happening.

Do yours work in -30?

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
If those are the mini split heat pumps, I have one in my garage (2 ton), but it pretty much maxes out at about -25c...no way will it work in -30f. Do yours work in -30?

I doubt it would. I did not pay attention to temp in OP post.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
GT Drummer is located in Richmond VA, -30 isn't happening.

Correct--only time it gets that cold is when I show up at home with a new car.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Correct--only time it gets that cold is when I show up at home with a new car.

Nice

BAT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 11, 2012
Central Mitten
What do you mean by "Low Intensity Infrared garage heaters"? 'You mean the electric powered ones or...?

I used a pair of nat. gas powered infrared units in the pumphouse of a car wash I once owned. They worked like a charm. 'Thermostats worked completely independent of any outside power source. IOW, even if all the power in town was knocked out for days - the pumphouse stayed warm as toast regardless. ('Only needed ONE to heat the area, but, I installed TWO in case the thermostat on one of 'em died...or one of the units itself died. That way the pumphouse would still be heated.)

They looked a lot like these:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...ci_sku=17353&gclid=CPX8msnckcICFQWTfgodCFQAYQ

Propane units are avail. too...

(Edit: Now that I think about it, I believe mine were "Mr. Heater" units.)

These are good heaters but beware, the air will be extremely dry.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
These are good heaters but beware, the air will be extremely dry.

...and what better condition for a pumphouse...or a garage for that matter! :lol :thumbsup