First 4.5L running on a GT!!!!

HPGT

GT Owner
Jul 31, 2012
Little Rock, AR
I'm relieved to know the stock fuel pump + the boost-a-pump is sufficient.

SMOKDU

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2011
Great numbers . My intake we made has a bigger mass air housing so we did not need to use the mafia, did you guys also make that bigger? Who dialed in the mass air for you? I am running e85 and also ran out of fuel pump with 19 psi but e85 needs more fuel as we know. What size pulley do you run and if I spun my 4.0 to 25 psi would we see about the same outcome? I see you also went with mass air card under like we did congrats and get some better tires .
image.jpg

DieselDr

GT Owner
Jun 30, 2014
Texas
Are all the 4.0 whipple guys still using the accufab twin blade throttle body? I'm assuming the whipple throttle body on this setup is much larger than the accufab, correct? How is the drive ability with the larger throttle body? I wanted to do a similar setup with my car but was advised the throttle body would adversely effect drive ability.

Extreem Exotics

GT Owner
Dec 13, 2013
Dallas Texas
I would assume some people are using a mono blade as well on the 4.0L.
The throttlebody that I have on the 4.5L is much larger. The drivability is not any different. I am still needing a few tweaks here and there before it is 100%.

DieselDr

GT Owner
Jun 30, 2014
Texas
That's what I was getting at extreem. The throttle body you are most likely using is larger than an accufab twin blade or monoblade. It starts with a larger flange off of the blower. Thank you for the confirmation. Time to contact whipple.

MoTeC Magic

Spectator
Aug 21, 2009
Dallas, TX
That's what I was getting at extreem. The throttle body you are most likely using is larger than an accufab twin blade or monoblade. It starts with a larger flange off of the blower. Thank you for the confirmation. Time to contact whipple.

Yes, the new mono-blade is MUCH larger than the Accufab twin. We ran a Whipple mono-blade on Mark's GT that is also larger and had no issues. The Whipple mono-blade on the 4.5L is substantially larger than the mono-blade on the 4.0L. It drives well... it is sensitive to the idle set screw setting though and how much idle air contribution comes from the IAC motor. They must be set right or you will get a high idle. We have Chris's GT idling right at about 950-1000 RPM.

The 750 RPM idle days pretty much go away with the large throttles. You have to maintain a gap around the blade to prevent blade to bore interference... the bigger throttle inherently has more "gap" around it because of the increase in circumference from being larger and therefore lets more air in at idle. We have a few things we are going to try in the tune to reduce the idle with less idle timing but overall it idles pretty well in our opinion when set correctly and isn't at all bad as is.

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Are all the 4.0 whipple guys still using the accufab twin blade throttle body?
I'm still using the stock throttle body on my 4.0L equipped GT.

SMOKDU

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2011
Can you run this single blade on the 4.0? I think I might also spray with this stuff next year.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:

MoTeC Magic

Spectator
Aug 21, 2009
Dallas, TX
Can you run this single blade on the 4.0? I think I might also spray with this stuff next year.

I don't believe so. The 4.5 mono-blade is substantially larger than the 4.0L mono-blade... as is the intake plenum for the 4.5L much larger than the 4.0L.

As to the Ethanol, if you're going to put the effort in to go there... might as well go all the way and go methanol. It's a much better fuel!

Cheers

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
How does the stock fuel system hold up to ethanol and worst methanol? I would think not so well.

MoTeC Magic

Spectator
Aug 21, 2009
Dallas, TX
How does the stock fuel system hold up to ethanol and worst methanol? I would think not so well.

Doesn't... I've confirmed with the GT fuel tank manufacture that components in the stock tank are not compatible with Ethanol or Methanol. There are probably additives in various race gasoline fuels that are also not ideal either...

I assume that SMOKDU was speaking about an upstream meth kit...

On the note of fuel systems... we laser scanned the stock tank and designed a race fuel cell replacement that has about 5 gal more capacity than stock and is compatible with gasoline, race gasoline, Ethanol, and Methanol...

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I presume that the fuel pumps, lines and seals may be not compatible as well. How about the injectors?

SMOKDU

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2011
Doesn't... I've confirmed with the GT fuel tank manufacture that components in the stock tank are not compatible with Ethanol or Methanol. There are probably additives in various race gasoline fuels that are also not ideal either...

I assume that SMOKDU was speaking about an upstream meth kit...

On the note of fuel systems... we laser scanned the stock tank and designed a race fuel cell replacement that has about 5 gal more capacity than stock and is compatible with gasoline, race gasoline, Ethanol, and Methanol...

Great how about bigger fuel pumps that will handle 1000 plus blower HP.

MoTeC Magic

Spectator
Aug 21, 2009
Dallas, TX
I presume that the fuel pumps, lines and seals may be not compatible as well. How about the injectors?

Tank shell and some lines are compatible, but pumps, wiring, some plastic, seals, and check valves are not compatible with ethanol or methanol. This is why we laser scanned and reverse engineered the stock tank to design a multi-fuel compatible race cell.

As to the stock injectors... I'd guess they are but the o-rings are not. The 1000cc ID injectors we use are compatible. We also machine the intake manifold for ID 2000cc injectors that are satisfactorily acceptable as long as no water is in the fuel system. Basic alcohol fuel system maintenance.

Same as why we designed our GT Mechanical fuel pump system. It is compatible and delivers the volume and fuel pressure needed for higher hp and or alcohol applications.

Cheers

MoTeC Magic

Spectator
Aug 21, 2009
Dallas, TX
Great how about bigger fuel pumps that will handle 1000 plus blower HP.

I don't know of replacement in tank pumps.. I assume it is doable but haven't heard of or seen a solution for that.

You could use the stock pumps to feed a surge tank and in turn feed a larger external pump. Needs to be laid out and designed correctly but this would work well. Electric pumps just have pressure and amp draw limitations.

The best solution I know of is our mechanical GT fuel pump system. See FUBAR's mechanical pump thread. http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/s...Fuel-System-(lots-of-pix-not-dialup-friendly)

Mark's system was not ideal, we built his system trying to avoid the added cost of a surge tank. I would advise a surge tank to feed the mechanical pump. Fuel system would then handle anything you could through at it.

Cheers