The New Shelby GT350

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
My local Ford dealer sent me a package yesterday that contained a Ford GT 350 brochure and a Ford Performance CD which featured about a half hour report on the GT 350. The video was hosted by various Ford project engineers who worked on the development of the car and they explained all of the special features on the car. It's technical but great viewing. If you have a GT 350 on order, you should ask your dealer if he has a brochure and the Ford Performance video on the new GT350. It makes for great viewing and will be a great piece of documentation for the future.

I think this is probably the same video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=UPFPtNDBNHM&app=desktop

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
And this from Hot Rod:

http://www.hotrod.com/cars/new-car-...out-the-2015-shelby-mustang-gt350-and-gt350r/

FTA: "The Mustang GT350 and GT350R’s flat-plane crank 5.2L V8 engine is lighter than the Ferrari 458's flat-plane-crank 4.5L V8 engine."

Read more: http://www.hotrod.com/cars/new-car-...helby-mustang-gt350-and-gt350r/#ixzz3k21cjl9j
Follow us: @HotRodMagazine on Twitter | HotRodMag on Facebook

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I just got back from taking a ride with a Ford Engineer around the track and was blown away by its, power, suspension, and torque. It is a race car you can drive on the street. Unbelievable the way it holds the turns, curves, and hills. We drove on all. What a day for us lucky ones at Rally #10. I've got to have one SOMEHOW. We couldn't take pictures at the track, sorry. The GT 350R is a Ford GT in a Mustang Suit, a race car built for the street. Holly Crap it's a screamer and I don't think it's going to have any competition on the street. Engineering put the britches on completion with this one. I just hope Ford builds this in big numbers!

Last edited:

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
^^^ What Tomy said! The only thing I can add to his "...blown away by..." is its sound. :biggrin :thumbsup

Hot lap in an R with a pro driver. OMG! Gotta have it. :)

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I took a hot lap in a GT350R with a Tier 3 driver, I think her name was Cristena. I now feel bad getting one. I'm not even going to be able to get 60% of what she could out of the car. Insanely capable machine. Really fun stuff.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
The capability of the car, irrespective of the price, is astonishing. Factor in the price and the first domestic flat-plane crank engine, and it becomes an instant legend. My ride was incredible!!!!

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
I took a hot lap in a GT350R with a Tier 3 driver, I think her name was Cristena. I now feel bad getting one. I'm not even going to be able to get 60% of what she could out of the car. Insanely capable machine. Really fun stuff.

I rode with her too. I told her to drive at ten tenths and not to hold back. She said "OK" and Jeez, it was an impressive lap. There was one turn when I was thinking " there's no way we'll get round this"... And she did! By the end of the lap she'd caught up with the blue 350 in front of us.

BAT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 11, 2012
Central Mitten
I too was impressed with the 350R. The torque up top is crazy good.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV

Do you think you get more or less out of your GT than the GT350? I know Gary Patterson (Shelby American) so at Rally 9 when SAI was out at the track with us I let him drive my GT. He'd driven one before but not on the track. He got a lot more out of it than I did and said he could have done more but he was worried about the engine temp (mine ran pretty close to the top all day, Rich said it was because of the increased boost.) (P.S. I wish I'd had Gary in the car earlier in the day - I learned some better lines on the track for the last session.)

Also, for your rides were you in regular GT350 or the GT350R version? Which did you get?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
GT350R scares women

[video=youtube;EMtKMP3HVs0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMtKMP3HVs0[/video]

Lots of talk but kind of funny at the end

txviper

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 31, 2007
I am so glad I ordered a GT350R after taking a ride in one at the Rally. It is a total beast!

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I kid you not, each Driver knew we all owned a Ford GT therefore they drove us like they had Stolen Them. My driver told me "Enjoy this Sir, you'll think it's a Ford GT dressed in a Mustang suit", and he was right on! OMG.

txviper

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 31, 2007
Agreed! I am thinking a 05/06 GT vs GT350R around a track would not be pretty for the GT.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I think the GT would be ok, assuming the playing field was leveled on the tire front. GT on GY, 350 would run away.

andymlow

GT Owner
May 17, 2007
Sarasota, FL
Agreed! I am thinking a 05/06 GT vs GT350R around a track would not be pretty for the GT.

Not according to my driver who was in the tungsten GT. He said in his opinion the Mustang would seem faster because the GT is better balanced and more effortless at speed. Advantage GT according to him.

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
Not according to my driver who was in the tungsten GT. He said in his opinion the Mustang would seem faster because the GT is better balanced and more effortless at speed. Advantage GT according to him.

A couple people that had the chance to ride in both Thursday said the GT did feel smoother around the track.

Lots of variables come in to play however, driver being one of them.

Got to say the ride in the GT350R was impressive.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I think the GT would be ok, assuming the playing field was leveled on the tire front. GT on GY, 350 would run away.

Define OK.

You in GT350R as is and you in GT with Sport Cup 2s, you in GT350R is still going to win. The same-driver gap in times at a long track is way too great to be attributed to just tires.

txviper

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 31, 2007

I rode in same GT and would put money on the R all day long. The GT was braking earlier and accelerating later. That same driver described the R as "Angry". That is a good assessment, lol

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida