The New Shelby GT350

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
Just kicking tires again thinking about a 350R. I read the new updates for 2019 and only color changes, some aesthetic interior changes and suspension changes. Think they will ever do a DCT? Is 2020 the last year?

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Here are a few random data points for you, but I'll admit since I bought my R is October I havent been as close to the market as I was:
  • Prices on the R are coming down. I'm seeing used Rs with asking prices in the high 60's and rumors of a few new Rs going for MSRP (previously $5k ADM was about the best you could find)
  • The performance gap between the base GT350 and R seems to be closing with the 2019s
  • According to the posts on FB from Billy Johnson, there seems to be pretty significant gains in the suspension and ABS tuning for 2019. I assume that includes the R
I'd be surprised to see a DCT or a 2020 model, but I havent been following it too closely.

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
Here are a few random data points for you, but I'll admit since I bought my R is October I havent been as close to the market as I was:
  • Prices on the R are coming down. I'm seeing used Rs with asking prices in the high 60's and rumors of a few new Rs going for MSRP (previously $5k ADM was about the best you could find)
  • The performance gap between the base GT350 and R seems to be closing with the 2019s
  • According to the posts on FB from Billy Johnson, there seems to be pretty significant gains in the suspension and ABS tuning for 2019. I assume that includes the R
I'd be surprised to see a DCT or a 2020 model, but I havent been following it too closely.

I agree with the pricing for sure. Seems like you have pretty good experience in "cars". How much do you like/love your R? I would plan on driving it fairly regularly. Still miss my Gen3 Viper Vert though..and maybe it was just the rawness and versatility of the open top.

FGT899

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 10, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
FWIW, I don't have experience with the R, but I have two close friends with them - one with a F12 Ferrari and a stock 350R, and one with a 488 Ferrari and a Hennessey 850hp R. Both of them repeatedly tell me they opt to drive their R's over the Ferrari's and say the driving experience is more enjoyable. I hear comments like this a LOT regarding the R. If I had more time I would have one in my garage.

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
I love the R. It is the most confidence inspiring car Ive owned. You feel like it will take every input and respond exactly how you want with no drama. It feels very nimble, despite its size. The R is very progressive at the limits. It does have a bit of that Viper feel to it, but I always felt the Viper was looking for an excuse to kill me. The engine sound is just amazing. I daily drive the car about an hour each way to work. No issues as a daily driver.

If I had any complaints, it would be about the ergonomics. But all those issues are well known and there are aftermarket solutions available that are very reasonably priced (e.g. clutch pedal spring, gas pedal spacer, rock blockers, etc). Also, my car seems to tramline a bit more than others. May be the alignment.

No hesitation in recommending the car. If buying a '19, I would see how close the performance gap is, unless you want the R for collectibility.

RickH

GT Owner
Mar 5, 2015
Florida
I thought the tramlining was a function of the Sport Cup 2 tires being so soft and wanting to follow every crevice in the road. I have to grip the steering wheel more aggressively than my other cars.

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
From what I've read, thats a big part of it. But my old race car with stickier and wider tires, never had the problem. Suspension geometry, stickiness of tires, alignment...lots of contributing factors. I bought the Steeda G-Trac brace that is supposed to help but havent installed it yet. It has mixed reviews about whether it helps or not. At $80 bucks, figured it is worth a try. Though I'm pretty convinced the Ford suspension engineers got it right on this car.