The New Shelby GT350

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
GT350 R cf wheel.

5D3_10183.jpg

Apparently, to paraphrase Henry Ford, you can have any color cf wheels you want as long as it is gloss black.

Between chunking instead of curb rash, and no silver paint option, I'm not feeling the love for the cf wheels unless the car is mainly a track weapon. Two piece rotors.

5D3_10198.jpg

Last edited:

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Thanks for the useless picture Gary.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Thanks for the useless picture Gary.
I was hoping you'd tell me how to repair the damage.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I was hoping you'd tell me how to repair the damage.

Send Ford a $3,000 check for a new one.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Wow!

Attachments

• gt350.jpg
    gt350.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 151

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
A guy at Carlisle saw the GT 350 R that Ford brought. He called his dealer in Connecticut, confirmed his dealer had an allocation, and placed his order. At MSRP.

I'd tell Luis that my decision is to never ever buy a car from him.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I'd tell Luis that my decision is to never ever buy a car from him.

+1

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
To bad Luis did not read his letter before he sent it to you, too many errors in it. I am surely old school and always have been careful out my spelling and "english" before sending a letter. I think the lack of quality in written communications reflects lack of care in other areas as well. Just my $.02. Good luck on your search Ed. See you and Heidi at the Rally.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Yikes Ed, that ADM is totally unreasonable. I too have heard of dealers selling their R Mustang at MSRP.
I agree with Jack, although I would probably call him and tell Luis the dealership will not get your current or future business....

Hey Rex, Nice pictures!
You can certainly see a difference in counterweight "cheeks" on the FPC and much more machining and balancing. Obviously an attempt to finely balance the crankshaft to low imbalance levels. The holes axially through the cheeks are interesting as well.
Thanks for posting!

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I guess I missed this in the discussion, but I thought the stripes were painted. They are tape. And the pinstripe is integrated with the rest of the stripe. No peeling off the pinstripe.

I think the wrappers are going to have to figure out this rather complex series of surfaces so that we can get stripes without pinstripes.

Black really flattens the sculpting of the side surfaces.

5D3_10188.jpg

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Hey, he's in Vegas. There are plenty of stupid people around here that will certainly bite for it. If you're serious buyer I can send you the contact info for the owner.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Send this to Luis (this thread) -

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/s...w-Shelby-GT350?p=398073&viewfull=1#post398073

& tell him to read the responses....

Last edited:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Also, I'd suggest going over to the Shelby forum as there are plenty of people there claiming orders at MSRP.

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Patience, that's all I can say- Remember the 2006 ZO6 Corvette, every dealer in CA wanted $25K over MSRP- In 2007 same car was selling at invoice or few bucks over (not MSRP but invoice)- Ask me how I know :biggrin

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I could have sworn the R was getting a hybrid carbon material for the brakes? Lees spendy than full ceramic, but way better with the heat.

Did I dream that?

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Maybe I read it here;

http://blog.caranddriver.com/mustang-shelby-gt350-and-gt350r-order-form-leaked/

"But there’s still plenty to be learned from a quick scroll through the seven-page document. For instance, we find out that the track-focused GT350R comes with carbon-ceramic brakes up front, standard, and that the R model wears tires that are 10 millimeters wider on the front and rear (305s and 315s versus 295s and 305s on the standard GT350)."

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN

I believe there was considerable thought and development experimentation done on various brake systems for the GT350. Maybe for both the base and R versions but for sure the R did look at ceramic brakes. I recall seeing photos on our forum of shots with big wheel "hubcaps" on mules hiding the brakes from sight.

As we all know carbon or ceramic brake rotors do have limitations. They are quite fragile and quite costly. One can only summarize that pricing vs performance tradeoffs were weighed by the team against pairing the R with CF wheels which are also costly. This comparison must have (IMO) led to the decision to leave the rotors cast iron (which presumably showed acceptable performance) and go with the CF wheels which significantly reduce suspension weight. I guess this was valued more than the brake system as the R does have iron rotors.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Are they? They are for sure not one piece, but I have had it in my head that a true 2 piece rotor would come apart and the hat could be reused, and the friction surface could be replaced. Perhaps I should be updating my thoughts, if indeed they are considered 2 piece.

Also on the brakes, I was told that the iron "stopped better". I would speculate that this would be in more isolated situations vs full on track and constant repeated use. But one thing I know for sure, they are 6 piston calipers and the friction material is HUGE, visually the pad looks twice as big as whats on the GT. And when you push the middle pedal HARD, there is a LOT of inertia that is VERY quickly turned into heat.

Two piece rotors.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I could have sworn the R was getting a hybrid carbon material for the brakes? Lees spendy than full ceramic, but way better with the heat.

Did I dream that?
The two piece rotor with pins allows the rotor to float with heat expansion. Reduced fade. Reduced warp. A bit lighter due to aluminum hat.

These were available from FRPP for GTs. Still occasionally on ebay.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Are they? They are for sure not one piece, but I have had it in my head that a true 2 piece rotor would come apart and the hat could be reused, and the friction surface could be replaced. Perhaps I should be updating my thoughts, if indeed they are considered 2 piece.

Andy, I am not sure to which post your “Are they?” is directed, mine or Gary’s??

Gary is correct (as is your definition of a 2-piece brake rotor), the rotors (at least front) are two piece meaning you can disassemble the friction surface rotor on which the pads wear from the “hat” which is attached to the front spindle through the five wheel studs. The outer steel rotor can be removed from the hat and either resurfaced to remove warpage, gouging, etc. or replaced with a new ring while the original hat retained.