Horsepower for Hope, Sarasota FL, 11/15/14

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Four GTs at this charity car show today. My red, andymlowe's white, Howard's tungsten, and fellow Sarasota Cafe Racer Joe Curley's yellow.

Joe also brought his over the top TT Pantera GTS.

Joe won "Best Domestic Car" for his yellow GT. But, to give some idea of the judging, he also won "Best Hot Rod" for the Pantera. :lol

IMAG1700.jpg

5D3_8668.jpg

5D3_8667.jpg

5D3_8672.jpg

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Without giving away any of Joe's "hot rod" secrets, he is able to run 10 psi boost on 100 octane av low lead. His 351 CR is 8.5:1.

He has cured all drivability issues, the most stubborn of which was vapor lock. You can see two vertical pieces of ss adjacent to the carb, which serve as heat shields. Combined with heavy insulation of the fuel lines, no more vapor lock.

He replaced the rear quarter windows with air intakes of his own design to aid engine bay cooling. They also give him access to the carb, which would otherwise be almost inaccessible. I should have taken a photo of his Connolly leather seats.

5D3_8663.jpg

5D3_8664.jpg

5D3_8665.jpg

This Panoz Roadster is one of 174 according to the owner. 2,500 lbs and 300 hp 4.6 mod motor.

5D3_8674.jpg

5D3_8673.jpg

Last edited:

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
One more from the cocktail party last night. Nice combo, eh? Handheld, 70mm, 1/6 @ f/4, ISO 3200.

5D3_8659.jpg

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
There were a total of 176 Panoz AIV Roadsters [Aluminum Intensive Vehicle] manufactured from 1997 thru 1999.

Mine is a 1999 Ten Year Anniversary model of which there were only 10 produced.
Purchased the machine new; it is number 7 of 10 Anniversary Editions and number 1 of 4 produced with a Kenne Bell Twin-Screw Supercharger installed by Panoz at their assembly plant.
Note the “tongue” on the hood forward of the hood scoop, this “tongue” was only on the supercharged versions so as to allow clearance of the pulley on the front of the supercharger.

023_20a_zps811e8af0.jpg

Panoz Roadster Production Numbers

Start of Panoz Roadster Production:
1990 1 fiberglass body mule never titled.
1991 1 alloy body with stainless steel chassis race car.
Only car ever titled with the Costin rear end - titled as a 1992.
1992 9 pre-AIV Panoz Roadsters (all had stainless steel space frame)
1993 23 pre-AIV Panoz Roadsters
1994 6 pre-AIV Panoz Roadsters
1995 6 pre-AIV Panoz Roadsters
Pre-AIV Panoz Roadsters sold to the public = 44

Start of Panoz AIV Roadster production:
1996 Switch to Panoz AIV Roadster - 6 cars built for crash test and mules.
Only 4 survived as pre-production prototypes.
No 1996’s were ever sold outside the factory.
VIN VB213005 was the first production Panoz AIV Roadster sold to the public.
Those produced prior to #5 were built for testing, show and demonstration purposes.
1997 Panoz AIV Roadster Production:
21 Red
19 Black Metallic
4 Green
3 Blue
2 Silver
Total = 49
1998 Panoz AIV Roadster Production:
19 Red
13 Black Metallic
7 Sunburst Yellow
7 Silver
7 Blue
6 Cabernet
6 Ocean Extreme
4 Green
1 British Racing Green
1 Pearl White
1 Copper Bronze Extreme
Total = 72
1999 Panoz AIV Roadster Production:
16 Yellow
14 Silver
11 Titanium
8 Black Gloss
2 Red
2 Black Metallic
2 Blue Metallic
Total = 55
AIV Panoz Roadsters sold to the public = 176
Total Panoz Roadsters sold to the public = 220

Overview:
Designed and prototyped in 1996, the first Panoz AIV Roadster was sold in 1997. Production of this model ceased in 1999, but some were sold as 2000’s. There were even some cars that remained unregistered and were first sold in more recent years.

The Panoz AIV Roadster was made possible by the special engineering of its aluminum frame. Discussed in detail in this section, cars with aluminum frames are now much more common. Some Honda, Audi and Jaguar models are now built this way. However, in 1997 there were very few. The Acura NSX used aluminum unibody construction. The Plymouth Prowler used a partially aluminum body on an aluminum frame. What made the Panoz car so special was that it came from a small independent manufacturer who produced an innovative design before the majors.

Another event that allowed the Panoz AIV Roadster to come into being was the production of the Mustang Cobra. First offered in 1996, this Mustang had an all aluminum sophisticated V-8 engine. These engines were built by hand by a two person team. Each had a plaque that carried the signatures of the engine builders. The Mustang Cobra was built by the Special Vehicle Team (SVT) of Ford - the arm of the company that designed and built high performance vehicles. Panoz employed Roush to help fit this new engine and its five speed Borg-Warner transmission to the new Panoz Roadster chassis.

The Panoz AIV Roadster employed many other systems that were used in the Mustang Cobra such as the brakes, heating, air conditioning, ventilation system, wiring, engine computer, instruments and so on. As a result, the car can be serviced at any SVT Ford dealer.

The Panoz AIV Roadster was a mix of the very latest technology with features derived from cars of the 40’s and 50’s. For example, the top is a two bow affair with cloth covering that is erected and snapped onto the body with plastic side curtains similar to early British sports cars. In many ways, the car is a cross between the Shelby Cobra of the 60’s and a modern American hot rod.

Panoz AIV Roadster Specifications: [Non Supercharged Base Version]
Transmission: 5-Speed Manual
Engine 4600cc (Ford)DOHC V-8
Power (bhp) 305 @ 5800 rpm
Torque 300 lb-ft @ 4800 rpm
Redline: 6800 rpm
Miles Per Gallon: 17/23 mpg
Curb Weight: 2570 lbs
Performance (0-60mph) 4.3sec
Performance (0-100mph) 11.7 sec
Top Speed (mph) 140
Skidpad: .97g
Slalom Speed: 67.0 mph
Braking, 0-60 mph: 119 ft
Base Price: (1997) $56,750 (plus luxury tax)
Place Of Manufacture: Braselton, Georgia (USA)

The Last Panoz AIV Roadster:
The last Panoz Roadsters built were the Anniversary Editions which had titanium paint and polished wheels and engine. The interior was blue leather. Some had "aftermarket" superchargers. Each had a special plaque.

In 1999, the last 10 cars were sold in 2000 as anniversary specials. The Anniversary Editions are identifiable by their titanium paint, hand-sewn blue upholstery and 18-in. BBS RK chromed wheels with a unique chrome center cap. They had polished Penske shocks. Under their hoods, the Anniversary Editions had hand-polished aluminum valve and plenum covers. Panoz's signature was engraved on the top of the cylinder heads. Each engine also carried a number plaque. Four of these cars had aftermarket superchargers installed as non-factory equipment. In addition to the four anniversary editions that were supercharged, some regular 1999 cars were supercharged for dealers after they were sold by the factory. The 10th Anniversary Limited Edition A.I.V. Roadster carried a suggested list price of $68,850. The supercharger added $5695 to that. All 10 were sold before they were built.

This is one of my favorite machines; have had it for almost 15 years now and still as much fun as the first day of ownership.

Not a FGT, but it is one fun and very wild machine to drive.

020_17a_zps1f9f7588.jpg

031_28a_zps49406941.jpg

034_31a_zpsca90a149.jpg

035_32a_zpsd6cba5c4.jpg

MyPanoz_zpsf12349b9.jpg

Last edited:

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Great panoz! I always liked these. And have been sort of looking for one. Thank you for posting!

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Great panoz! I always liked these. And have been sort of looking for one. Thank you for posting!

Uh, oh! ;-))

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Without intending it, this seems to be the definitive Panoz Roadster thread.

One issue my friend mentioned was the continuous pelting the body takes, because of the open wheels. He loves his car...perfect for Florida Nov to Apr.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Just had the whole hood of a car done last week with xpel film, wow, these films have gotten really really good. I walk through our garage and look at the different films we have, and amazing how far that have come. Tell you friend to wrap the sucker and don't look back. Roketman is about to do his whole car.

One issue my friend mentioned was the continuous pelting the body takes, because of the open wheels. .

We shall see. Lots of interesting new things coming. Have to keep focused.....

Uh, oh! ;-))

IkeCan

May 20, 2015
Spirit, Do you have any information on the Panozlife forum. It seems to have gone down. The domain name has expired. It was the best internet source of information on the Panoz cars.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Spirit, Do you have any information on the Panozlife forum. It seems to have gone down. The domain name has expired. It was the best internet source of information on the Panoz cars.
Is that you Jim?

IkeCan

May 20, 2015
Yes, Gary.

The Panozlife forum went down a few weeks ago and I have been looking information about the site in hopes of bringing it back online. It appears that the domain name expired. My hope is that the content is still there and we just need to renew the domain name and map it to the content.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Yes, Gary.

The Panozlife forum went down a few weeks ago and I have been looking information about the site in hopes of bringing it back online. It appears that the domain name expired. My hope is that the content is still there and we just need to renew the domain name and map it to the content.
I'll PM Spirit to alert him to your post.

Caffeine & Gasoline tomorrow.

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Hello IkeCan,
I too noticed a couple of weeks ago that the site had gone dark.
Yes, it is/was a good site for information regarding our Panoz cars.
I think that Andrew Naber out in California is the owner of the domain through GoDaddy.
I have been waiting to see if it would come back on.
Another contact might be Lisa White at Panoz down in Georgia to see if she has any knowledge or information to help out.
Sorry that I cannot be of more help.
I too hope it comes back on line.
Let me know if you have any success in your quest to get it back up and running again.
Regards,
Spirit

IkeCan

May 20, 2015
Spirit, Thanks, I contacted Andrew Naber today and he said that the expiration on the domain name must have slipped by him. He was going to see if he can renew it. He said the content should still be on the site. I checked later today and saw that Panozlife.com is no longer available. Hopefully, Andrew renewed the name before someone else did. I will let you know if the domain name changes.

Gary, I appreciate you helping me out!! I do not have the ability to PM on this forum.

Regards,
IkeCan (Jim)

IkeCan

May 20, 2015
Thanks!! I will see you tomorrow @ Caffeine & Gasoline.

BAT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 11, 2012
Central Mitten
One more from the cocktail party last night. Nice combo, eh? Handheld, 70mm, 1/6 @ f/4, ISO 3200.

View attachment 36284