Garage Build - Size questions 4cg vs 3cg DD + suggestions please!

FGT899

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 10, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I'm currently planning a new garage addition on the house we bought this year. I'm a little limited with a 20' setback so I only have 38' to work with (58' from house to fence). I have had a difficult time deciding exactly which direction to go so I will be grateful for any advice or opinions you can give me. I have 3 cars at the moment but will probably have 4-5 by the end of next year. Here are the options I have come up with so far:

38Wx42Lx12H 3 Car Double Deep (3 single 10' wide doors - Front drive in - doors visible from street) 1596sq ft

OR a garage that faces the south neighbors house (no doors will be visible from the street)

25Wx50Lx12H 4 Car Garage (4 single 10' doors) 1250sq ft
25Wx50Lx12H 4 Car Garage (2 double doors) 1250sq ft

Cost is about $17k more for the 3 car DD vs the 4 car, and a 5 car would be about the same as the 3cg DD. Which garage type would you prefer, standard or double deep? If you go with the 4 cg, do you prefer single or double doors?

I'm having it insulated & plumbed for A/C. Planning on 1 lift for now. If I can convince the wife maybe I could squeeze out a 5 car if that makes more sense than the options above. Please let me know what you would choose and if there's anything unique that you have added to your garage that is a "must have". Thanks!

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
25 foot deep is not much. You won't have much usable space in front of the vehicles. I would go with the deeper garage. Also, if you did scissor trusses with 12 foot sidewalls, you will have more height then you will need for a full height lift. I don't like any visible garage door openings, mostly for security reasons.

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
I have a 36 X 36 garage; 3 10ft wide door, double deep. I have plenty of room in between cars. Your dimensions are even larger for even more free space. I couldn't be happier with the double deep configuration.

Howard

Attachments

• Garage 1.jpg
    Garage 1.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 382
Last edited:

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
I have a double deep as well and it works.
My advice is to go as big as possible from the beginning because you will always run out of space.
Best,
Mark

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
go as big as you can--and you can never have enough lighting. (or outlets)

standj

GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 23, 2007
Wyoming
+1 the bigger the better

John

Tomcat

GT Owner
I went as big (wide and deep) as my footprint allowed but after that budget limited me to 9' ceilings (which still works fine for my 4 pole lift). I scoot around on a short rolling stool working underneath the car and I can stack most of my cars (not the bigger BMW).
I used 2-part urethane on the floor and I did NOT light it like most people do (like a paint booth). I found that no matter how much lighting I had (in past garages), there were always shadows under the car and in places where I need shop lights. So, I put little halogen eyeball lights in the ceiling which can be aimed to light the cars and wall art like...well like artwork at a museum. I bought halogen shoplights to do my work, detailing, etc...
I recessed some old speakers in the ceiling for sound without taking up space.
I separated the single doors as much as possible and I wanted a double door but my wife said no.

Attachments

• Stable with 1440 horses lo res.JPG
    Stable with 1440 horses lo res.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 360
  • 3 cars lite 2.jpg
    3 cars lite 2.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 374

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Nice garage Tom, but why is the boat in the GT's parking space>

Cobraguy

GT Owner
A couple more must haves .......along with PLENTY of wall plugs think about your ultimate potential lift positions and install corresponding plugs in the ceiling to power them as well as your battery tenders. Also, plumb your walls for air line outlets..plenty of them. I also hung my compressor off the ceiling in the back corner behind a small sound curtain with rubber mounted straps. It is out of the way , quiet, and easily serviced.
Oh, and remember to position your ceiling fans where a car up on a lift won't interfere with them....I slightly misjudged mine and they come within a foot of my cars.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Ensure that you leave enough room (at the end or sides) for cabinetry and work bench.

Also, if you are familiar with and enjoy machine tools, a lathe and mill are very handy (along with the usual drill press, grinder & belt sander), however, they are best located in a tool room adjacent to the garage.

partssmann

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 1, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
All of the garages I have seen that I wish I had were 2 car deep. My favorite had one end with office and storage room. Also consider 38Wx42Lx12H 3 Car Double Deep (1 single and 1 double door). Having said that never liked front of houses dominated by garage doors. Like your second choice of 25Wx50Lx12H 4 Car Garage (2 double doors) 1250sq ft. I have lived with 22' deep garage and believe 25' depth would work out fine. Consider getting insulated 8' high doors and have track mounted at least 10' high to avoid interference with lift when door is up. Last thought would be to allow room for those GT doors to open. Had to rearrange my garage to allow door to open.

Last edited:

Cobraguy

GT Owner
All of the garages I have seen that I wish I had were 2 car deep. My favorite had one end with office and storage room. Also consider 38Wx42Lx12H 3 Car Double Deep (1 single and 1 double door). Having said that never liked front of houses dominated by garage doors. Like your second choice of 25Wx50Lx12H 4 Car Garage (2 double doors) 1250sq ft. I have lived with 22' deep garage and believe 25' depth would work out fine. Consider getting insulated 8' high doors and have track mounted at least 10' high to avoid interference with lift when door is up. Last thought would be to allow room for those GT doors to open. Had to rearrange my garage to allow door to open.

Agree on all points....as well re the door tracks; One of my garages has a 14' ceiling so I installed the tracks 4" from the ceiling and used a jack shaft opener. This way the lift on that bay can be very close to the door and still allow a car to be stored right at the top with no track interference.
I also have some 10' high ceilings with lifts and regret not going to 12' when I built so I could walk under the raised lift or work on a car on the floor with one stored above. A strip of stick on LED lighting under each ramp solves the shadow issues.

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
garage

Don't forget outlets near the ceiling just in case you get a neon sign addiction.:lol

Attachments

• _12_07_2012_1207.jpg
    _12_07_2012_1207.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 153

cobrajeff

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 5, 2006
Daytona Beach
Tomcat -

You're killin' me - a GT, a red Pantera, AND a Glastron Carlson boat? Three of my favorites - how 'bout bringing the GT
to the Mustang Show in Pensacola at the end of March? Always a good show, very few GTs (or Panteras, for that matter).

Jeff

Tomcat

GT Owner
Nice garage Tom, but why is the boat in the GT's parking space>

The boat is gone (until I get back to Perdido Key Florida)...traded for the GT!

Tomcat

GT Owner
Tomcat -

You're killin' me - a GT, a red Pantera, AND a Glastron Carlson boat? Three of my favorites - how 'bout bringing the GT
to the Mustang Show in Pensacola at the end of March? Always a good show, very few GTs (or Panteras, for that matter).

Jeff
I was not using it enough and sold it to make room for the GT.

Attachments

• Boat in front of house smaller.JPG
    Boat in front of house smaller.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 140

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
My advice is to go as big as possible from the beginning because you will always run out of space.
Best,
Mark

go as big as you can--and you can never have enough lighting. (or outlets)

^^^ 'Gospel.

No matter how much room you think will be enough, in the end it won't be! Build the garage as large as space & 'codes' (and your stinkin' neighbors :mad) will allow the 1st time.

And as 'drummer pointed out - you can never have too many outlets. My detached garage has 'em about every 6-8 feet along its 3 solid walls as well as on either side of, and in between, the two roll-up doors. I've never been sorry I did that! You won't be either!

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
The boat is gone (until I get back to Perdido Key Florida)...traded for the GT!

Good move, and you bought your GT well!!!

rf18412

GT Owner
Feb 28, 2011
Omaha, Nebraska
Did I mention I totally love my garage ?

As big as you can you will LOVE every inch. Add bathroom, the guys can come and go and never bother the bride or mess up "her" house. Min 8 foot tall double wide doors, most any large vehicle is about 7 foot tall. Don't do single wide doors, total pain in the ass, even get a 2 1/2 wide door. If you are planning a lift you may want the door tracks high to the ceiling. Need a side walk in door. If you have usable attic space install real steps and you will use the space. Stay away from the drop down steps, we are to old to dick with that. Consider a Hydronic heated floor, it is super nice but a luxury. Regular HVAC is cheaper. Extend the Cable TV and internet from the house to the garage. Try to use the power from the house and avoid a separate meter.
Plan locations for a flat screen TVs then pre- wire power and cable. Get as much of your benches and cabinets on wheels.
The Garage will be "flex space" for endless guy time with cars, sports, poker, etc. Trench drain is nice for hosing out the garage and washing cars.

Did I mention I totally love my garage ? The best 100k I have ever spent!

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Lots of good advice, but in my opinion, you want a 200amp service direct to the shop. Any heavy duty equipment and you will likely over tax the house breaker board, even if that is 400amp.