Saleen S7

racer22

GT Owner
Jun 20, 2013
I'm interested in learning more about the non-turbo Saleen S7 and would like some feedback from the Ford GT community, especially any S7 owners. The Ferrari Chat guys slam the S7's fit, finish and mechanics. Are they just being Ferrari guys or is the S7 that bad? Some even referred to it as kit-carish; ouch. Please comment.

Last edited:

TCT

Apr 24, 2006
Send a private message to Cudaman on Viperalley.com His S7 was a non-turbo version before he went TT with it. I was recently upgraded and now has well over 1000HP.

He is the guy to talk to when it comes to S7 ownership as he drives his a lot.

I have been a passenger in his S7 many times and it is very impressive. At 170+ MPH it feels like your going 55. Quality is good but I have heard of some issues that can be frustrating. He knows all the details.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
I remember at Rally I the Saleen guys gave us demo-rides on Stevenson Highway and Maple Road. Fast , harsh , Raw , Hard , rattles, creaks --felt more like 100 mph when you were going only 70mph.
My impression was it was not at all 'refined'....especially after having the Ford GT for a few months. Margaret wanted to buy one...till she took the ride...
Paint was nice.

my '2-pence'
andy (ajb)

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I remember at Rally I the Saleen guys gave us demo-rides on Stevenson Highway and Maple Road. Fast , harsh , Raw , Hard , rattles, creaks --felt more like 100 mph when you were going only 70mph.
My impression was it was not at all 'refined'....especially after having the Ford GT for a few months. Margaret wanted to buy one...till she took the ride...
Paint was nice.

my '2-pence'
andy (ajb)

Oh, you mean it rode like a GT40 or Cobra?

:)

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I think it needs a few more louvers in the body! LOL

Ed

PS I think you need a good mechanic if you get a S7.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Tony - I never rode in a GT 40 but drove several Cobras by Superformance. The S7 is more refined and felt more stable than any of the Cobras and I am sure would do better on a long trip.
andy (ajb)

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I'm interested in learning more about the non-turbo Saleen S7 and would like some feedback from the Ford GT community, especially any S7 owners. The Ferrari Chat guys slam the S7's fit, finish and mechanics. Are they just being Ferrari guys or is the S7 that bad? Some even referred to it as kit-carish; ouch. Please comment.

I was told by one of the staff at a dealership in 'Vegas that their experience with S7s had been that the cars spent "more time on the hoist than on the road"...and 'twas said with emphasis.

...for what it's worth...

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
I was told by one of the staff at a dealership in 'Vegas that their experience with S7s had been that the cars spent "more time on the hoist than on the road"...and 'twas said with emphasis.

...for what it's worth...

sounds like the perfect car for ya EP......

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
sounds like the perfect car for ya EP......

Naaaaaaaaah. I'd have to pack a lunch to make it all the way across the expanse that's loosely referred to as its "door sill". Good LORD that thing is w-i-d-e.

(And the little 'shoe box' into which one's feet are supposed to go when seated is too small! :lol)

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Nice shots Ralphie of while we were at Rally II.

Jun 9, 2014
Northern Virginia
Almost as w-i-d-e as Diablo

Naaaaaaaaah. I'd have to pack a lunch to make it all the way across the expanse that's loosely referred to as its "door sill". Good LORD that thing is w-i-d-e.

(And the little 'shoe box' into which one's feet are supposed to go when seated is too small! :lol)

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Almost as w-i-d-e as Diablo

Almost as wide as Kim's...

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
A GT & a S7.

Ed

Attachments

• Ford GT & Saleen S7.jpg
    Ford GT & Saleen S7.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 253

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I liked them then and I like them now. But it's a different pay grade :)

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
Almost as wide as Kim's...
yep- they have the Kardashian look to me-JMO

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
too long aft of the rear axle IMO, Never been that impressed with the esthetic value.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit

I think the S7 is a cool looking car and it does have race history. It is as close as you get for a race car titled as a road car. I would not really call it kit car, I would call it race car. It is not a luxury sports car. I've been in it on roads both good and bad. On less than stellar roads, it will absolutely jar your fillings loose. It's hard to get in and out of and is spartan. Because of the asymmetrical cockpit, the passenger has a teeny tiny footwell. It has a colorful reputation for mechanical quality control. I will never forget listening to Lee Saunders, who clearly has balls the size of boulders, keeping his right foot planted for an eternity trying to knick 200 mph on the runway in one at Oscoda during the inaugural Car and Driver 0-200-0 shootout. I think he could spit over the edge at the end of the 13k foot runway when he managed to stop.

If I had a mega dollar collection and was looking to tick off every box, I would probably have one. As garage art or a car to draw a crowd, it has star quality. As a car for pure road driving fun or enjoyment, it would not be near the top of my list.

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
I think the S7 is a cool looking car and it does have race history. It is as close as you get for a race car titled as a road car. I would not really call it kit car, I would call it race car. It is not a luxury sports car. I've been in it on roads both good and bad. On less than stellar roads, it will absolutely jar your fillings loose. It's hard to get in and out of and is spartan. Because of the asymmetrical cockpit, the passenger has a teeny tiny footwell. It has a colorful reputation for mechanical quality control. I will never forget listening to Lee Saunders, who clearly has balls the size of boulders, keeping his right foot planted for an eternity trying to knick 200 mph on the runway in one at Oscoda during the inaugural Car and Driver 0-200-0 shootout. I think he could spit over the edge at the end of the 13k foot runway when he managed to stop.

If I had a mega dollar collection and was looking to tick off every box, I would probably have one. As garage art or a car to draw a crowd, it has star quality. As a car for pure road driving fun or enjoyment, it would not be near the top of my list.

Hey Dave you attended Rally IX. Just sayin'.

Here to help!

Vince H

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
I've owned one (mine was the twin turbo version). Bought it to resale, but had My fair share of time with it. I hated it. Looks very cool, but as a road car..., it drove like total hell. Fit and finish was not that great either. I've seen worse, but I haven't seen worse on another car that had a similar msrp.