Another way to get around.

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
I've flown fixed wing stuff forever, but thought I'd give whirly birds a try. You can fly them from your front yard and they fit nicely in the garage. Fun stuff indeed. And picking a color isn't too hard either. Anybody else out there play with these things?

Attachments

• IMG_8416.jpg
    IMG_8416.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 332
  • IMG_8435.jpg
    IMG_8435.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 333

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Very nice!

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
That looks like a lot of fun! Can you give a few specs? Just curious on cruising speed, passenger capacity, etc.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I'm not jealous. Naaaaaaaaaaaah. Not one bit. Nope. Not me. No sir. 'Never happen...

:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow

:thumbsup:thumbsup

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
And is that a GT2RS in the foreground?

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Be careful, emergency landings have much more emergency to them.

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
Well that is a whole lot of awesome and you're right the color does seem to speak for itself. Enjoy and safe travels.

Vince H

Mike Mosing

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 9, 2009
Florisiana
I was never comfortable with my wings going in circles right above my head. I am sticking with fix wing...thank you very much. :)

GT38

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 19, 2008
Glendale, Arizona
Anybody else out there play with these things?

I did, a lot (military & civilian). So have CH53Driver and FlorIdaho Chris, that I know of. That's Team Jeff in the last photo.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
In the last photo: Is that the 'hill' you told me about?

GT38

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 19, 2008
Glendale, Arizona
In the last photo: Is that the 'hill' you told me about?

Probably. That's Frenchman Peak, AKA Sunrise Peak, east of Las Vegas (Lake Mead Blvd at the top of the photo). As interesting as it always was to get in and out of there, I preferred flying to driving because the road is downright scary!

(If you're in town for Scottsdale Good Guys, let me know and we can try to meet up.)

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Yeeeeeeeup, that's the one!

'Not coming down for Goodguys this year, '38. The airlines wanted SIX HUNDURT DALLAHS - EACH!!! - to fly wifey and me down there round trip! NO DADGUM, FLIPPIN' WAY!!! 'Not for a trip that's cost $400.00 MAX for the 2 of us the last couple years! Ferggiddaboudit... :mad

Besides, there wouldn't have been enough time for us to get summa our clothes washed/dry cleaned up here and then shipped back down to AZ before we arrived. (We just got back from 'Vegas this past Friday, and FedEx just delivered the clothes/shoes we wore down there literally about 15 minutes ago!)

Last edited:

Tomcat

GT Owner
I have a # of friends who are, and even more respect for all helo guys. Landing a LAMPS at night in rough seas on a "small boy"...I am not worthy!

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Very cool pics of the other ships, thanks for sharing. The CH53 is a personal favorite. Well I'm pretty green on the heli side of things, but they sure are fun. You can drop into interesting places like GT38 has shown us. I agree with you Mike, I am more comfortable with wings that stay in the same place during the flight, but this is growing on me. And yes, emergencies have a whole new meaning to me now. This little thing has room for 4 and travels at 120kts with about a 3hr endurance in air conditioned comfort. So far I've only found places within 30min to go. Bell is introducing a new Jet Ranger next year, the 505. I have a production slot for one, so this is sort of a pilot development tool. So far so good. [ dis - nope sorry, that's a GT3RS , a GT2 would be cool]

The first flight of the Bell 505 was today : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0p3dSKEbNs4

Attachments

• 4 door R44.jpg
    4 door R44.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 157
  • R44 cockpit.jpg
    R44 cockpit.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
You are braver than I ! But than again you have done those silly but very cool squirrel suits
Congrats .Feel free to swing by and pay a vist!
My bests to Janine
I got a GT2

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Oh yea, you do have a GT2, you cool guy. Had it out much this year?

Mike Mosing

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 9, 2009
Florisiana
They are assembling the 505 next door to my hangar. Maybe...just maybe I might look into it then...maybe...I do see a ton of helo activity though. PHI, (Petroleum Helicopters Inc), one of the largest helicopter operators in the world is home based across the street from my hangar. Helicopters are surrounding me. lol

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
^^^ Well then, looks like you should look into it. The 505 will be ready in 2016, so you have some time to prepare. You might enjoy it.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Nice R44 ya got there.

Add my name to the list of those who fly with strings and mirrors and optical illusions. Lots of time in Jet Rangers, H-1, H-46 (tandem rotor beast), and a smidgen in H-3 and H-60. At the Rally X, you might even pry out of me the story of the "holy helo" and the chaplain who saw God. Or the Rortorways project I still have stalled in my garage...

GT38

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 19, 2008
Glendale, Arizona
At the Rally X, you might even pry out of me the story of the "holy helo" and the chaplain who saw God. Or the Rortorways project I still have stalled in my garage...

:thumbsup