Autometer direct fit replacement gauges - Orders accepted beginning Monday 11/10/2014

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Two years ago I did a full gauge replacement with Speedhut units. At that time all my OEM factory gauges worked perfectly. They are now packed up nice and tight and sitting on the shelf.

I was not happy to make that decision, but thought it was the best long term solution for my GT and my peace of mind.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Thanks Ralphie!

I think if we projected ourselves out 3-5yrs and had to deal with replacing OEM gauges priced like the headlights now are, this is going to look reasonable

Bottom line, if gauges need to be replaced often, the supply will eventually run out.

This is more supply on a 10yr old car; like NOS/NIB!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Two years ago I did a full gauge replacement with Speedhut units. At that time all my OEM factory gauges worked perfectly. They are now packed up nice and tight and sitting on the shelf.

I was not happy to make that decision, but thought it was the best long term solution for my GT and my peace of mind.

But... (I hate it when that word is used to introduce a thought, but...) It is practically a given that one of your salted away gauges will inevitably fail... I'm hoping that they will pony up with the two others with a total replacement cost that is equal to Speedhut. I'm inclined to buy a complete set of the replacements. My boost gauge died, and I bought, from a forum member, an original. If I get the entire set of small gauges and put them in before the next failure I'll at least have an original set of small gauges. Did that make sense?

(Ralphie, Maker's Mark cocktails are good.)

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
They are now packed up nice and tight and sitting on the shelf...

...and possibly failing while on the shelf, because nobody knows (or is not saying) why they fail.

Good luck with that!

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
My Opinion (everyone has one, just like an a_____le):

1) Autometer made bad gauges for the original Ford purchase for the GT. But, they won't admit any fault to providing an unreliable product.

2) Autometer now wants to sell us new gauges at a price that some are objectional to - yet we have asked for replacement gauges at a price lower than Ford replacement prices, and they have done this.

3) Autometer is not planning to remake the most visible and most expensive gauges, the tachometer and the speedometer - I find this to totally unsatisfactory, as their original units are as defective as the small units.

4) Ford signed off on the original units, which have been found to be defective - thus Ford should take a portion of the responsibility for (1) the replacement price, and (2) that replacements must be generated for all of the original defective units, i.e. the tachometer and speedometer. Whether this responsibility is to demand that Autometer provide replacement units at a fair price, or provide the necessary cost to retool these units to make them reliable, is up to Ford - yet, we need Ford to keep the pressure on Autometer to provide reliable solutions.

I know SpeedHut is an alternative, yet for those who have low mileage cars with bad gauges, and wish to keep them as examples of original equipment (believe me - I'm not one of them), I think that Autometer provided them with an inferior - no, actually defective - part.

As I have not had a failure, it could have come at any day - they know this, as do I. I will likely purchase their replacements as a hedge, but feel only 66% complete if I cannot also purchase the tachometer and speedometer.

Last edited:

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Not bitching about the price, which seems fair for a low production item. But...that ad alone is enough to make me live with no working gauges. The arrogance. Implying SpeedHut is a compromise. Unreal.

My gauges are alive and well, and a tip of the hat to SpeedHut!

Last edited:

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Lot's of good stuff here.... I'm just going to +1 the lot of it. It's a good start on their part, but the job isn't done.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Allegedly some persons have been trying these. I'd like to know if they are noisey. My experience with Autometer stepper-motor gauges was that they were annoyingly noisey.

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
If I can help with machined tooling, just let me know. Someone Send me a print (s) if its not to involved I'll have my guys make it as fill in job.

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Ford: Look at Nike and just do it :willy

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Allegedly some persons have been trying these. I'd like to know if they are noisey. My experience with Autometer stepper-motor gauges was that they were annoyingly noisey.

I only hear my Speedhut gauges when 1st turning the key on and the engine is off.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
...and possibly failing while on the shelf, because nobody knows (or is not saying) why they fail.

Good luck with that!

Yes that might indeed happen.

All I know is that for 6 years and 20K miles they worked perfect. And that was without using a battery charger/tender.

I know I will not be re-installing the OEM gauges while I own my GT. Should I ever have to sell it all I can say is "They worked perfect"! :biggrin

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
My conversation with AutoMeter (starting back 5 years ago) was that Ford was the limiting factor. Ford has not given them the go ahead on tachs/speedos, so nothing in the pipeline. I am happy we have new gauges available at a reasonable price with NO middleman.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
That is unequivocally false.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I'm sorry Dave, but those are the statments from AutoMeter direct. First it was the contract, then it was signing off on the new stuff, now it's no provision for tach/speedo. If this is not true, then shame on them even more.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I'm not doubting that's what you were told.

They are free to make the tach and speedo if they choose.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Well, I guess we know where to apply pressure. Thanks Dave.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
I am grateful to know that replacements for the smaller gauges are to be produced. I'll wait and see on the quality. I am fortunate that all of my gauges are still working fine...so far. Hopefully these will prove satisfactory and longer lived than the OEM. I also hope they plan to keep these available for some time to come when replacements are needed. Since a full set is not available, no use in ordering until I need one. If its a speedo or tach that I need, its still a set of SpeedHut gauges that is the path to repair.

My experience with Auto meter stepper motor gauges has not been favorable and neither has been their lack of warranty support. They are just as arrogant on their warranty for the normal line products as they imply in the GT advertisement. Every time a gauges of theirs has failed, its my fault for actually using the gauge..... And several have failed.

Last edited:

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
I will be purchasing an entire set of the smaller gauges (my boost gauge went this year.) I had confidence years ago something had to be done (especially with Dave input). When they see 3000 plus orders for the gauges, I believe autometer will come through with tach and speedo! (my tach was first to go 3 yrs ago). I only wish they are all available at once because I am only going to take the dash apart once!! Would be nice to know what the defect is and the remedy to have confidence going forward in the replacements!
Remember car is now approaching 10 yrs old, not sure other super car makers would do anything more. That we got this far thanks to Ford GT community!!

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
They will not get 3000 orders. With only partial sets available, they will likely sell no more than a couple hundred of each. Which may be good enough. There will be the initial rush of orders for folks like you that have dead gauges in the dash and have been waiting. Then there will be a trickle from a number of folks taking a wait and see approach. If they do the tack and speedo, I predict they would sell a number of complete sets if they prove reliable.

They should also state some sort of warranty terms.