Shipping our GTs to Europe for the 2016 Le Mans Classic

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
Hi all

I was so impressed with Francis and our European GT friends' gathering at this year's Le Mans Classic, I mentioned here that I'd start looking into the logistics of potentially shipping the U.S. GTs over for the 2016 event to coincide with the 50th anniversary of the GT40's win.

I've obtained a transportation company, Carseurope.net, that specializes on shipping cars globally from a friend, who has used this company for a few years to transport his vintage race cars and engine parts between Europe and the USA with excellent results. I have absolutely no ties to this company.

Below is the one way cost estimate and the time requirement between collection/shipping/deliver for your consideration to anyone who is interested. For me, I'll likely do a 2-week driving trip that concludes at Le Mans, and will likely opt for the sea freight option and take delivery of my car in the UK. Having travelled to France quite a few times, the most recent of which was the past September for almost a month...., the roads are FANTASTIC!! Let's start planning!! Below is what Cars Europe's responses to my inquiries:

Please see below estimate costs for sea & airfreight from California to Le Mans Classic in 2016

Air Freight

Collection from San Francisco and Delivery to LAX: USD 1000.00 (approx.)
Air Freight to UK - main deck position
(including all US Handling and Customs Charges): USD 15000.00
UK Arrival Charges: USD 1400.00
UK Customs Clearance: USD 400.00
Collection from Airline: USD 500.00
Delivery to Le Mans: USD 1500.00

Sea Freight

Collection from San Francisco and Delivery to Oakland warehouse: USD 500.00 (approx.)
Shipment to UK – 20 ft dedicated container
(including all US Handling and Customs Charges): USD 3200.00
UK Arrival Handling: USD 1150.00
UK Customs Clearance: USD 400.00
Delivery to Le Mans: USD 1500.00

As a guide Sea freight from California to Europe we would suggest 8 weeks from collection to delivery at Le Mans to cover any possible delays on vessel. Air freight 2 weeks will allow time for security, customs clearance and delivery to Le Mans.

We can deliver the car directly to Le Mans on our own trucks and collect them again from there. We can transport as many cars are you would like to the event and can have them all delivered in the same truck.

GTED

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
You should contact the guy that did the SHelby Run Europe. They shipped a whole bunch of Mustangs (and I think GT Joey's GT and maybe one other) all by ship.

I thought the video at the dinner said there was air freight included? It's gonna be price but the thought of seeing a fleet of 747 cargo planes loaded with Ford GTs has to be a photo op of the century (maybe any century)

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Well that's fine for West Coast guys. We need to find ways for shipping from throughout the US. You also did not include insurance. If I remember correctly, no one will insure us for more than two weeks at a cost of $1-1.5K per week.

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
First of all - I´m not involved in the planning of shipping but as I have shipped 50+ cars accross the big pond I will just add my comments based on experience.

The airtransport is a super way - but also expensive. Fast, almost no wait time and your car will never be left alone in a warehouse on the dock for long. However, I would not be afraid to ship via roll on-roll of ship or by container.

The "roll on-roll of" could be handled in almost same "just in time" logistic setup regarding delivery & pickup - but time on the water is of course 2-3 weeks instead of 9 hours in a plane.

Thousands of brand new US cars arrive in Europe by "roll on-roll of" ships - and the logistic setup in ex. Bremerhaven when they unload the cars is really impressive - and actually these cars are often just as clean when they arrive as the ones that go by container.

Cheers
Anders

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
$20k each way for air freight is pretty pricey to say the least. Would love to go, but yikes...

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Just an FYI - at Rally 9 Steven Nesta showed a brief teaser about something we've been planning for a while. More details will be forthcoming, but I am on my way to Dearborn for another meeting with Ford Motor Company this morning regarding 50th anniversary celebrations. Obviously, it's a significant historical milestone for them, and with hopefully the logistical expertise and muscle provided by FMC, this trip becomes much easier. I would still encourage people to look into alternative arrangements because realistically the amount of cars and people we'll be able to accommodate as part of the tour will be limited.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Some time ago I got quotes from shipoverseas.com for two hypotheticals:

Pick car up in Tampa, ship from Savannah to LeHavre in a container:

Container quote

Pick car up in Tampa, ship from Jacksonville to LeHavre by Roll on/Roll off:

RoRo quote

Destination port fees are not included. Insurance is 1.5% of declared value. This at least gives a ballpark estimate for east coast shipment. The pdf files have a ton of information on shipping.

Then there is the matter of insurance while driving in Europe. I haven't looked into that.

Last edited:

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Some time ago I got quotes from shipoverseas.com for two hypotheticals:

Pick car up in Tampa, ship from Savannah to LeHavre in a container:

Container quote

Pick car up in Tampa, ship from Jacksonville to LeHavre by Roll on/Roll off:

RoRo quote

Destination port fees are not included. Insurance is 1.5% of declared value. This at least gives a ballpark estimate for east coast shipment. The pdf files have a ton of information on shipping.

I tried to pull up the quote. Google asks for permission...

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I tried to pull up the quote. Google asks for permission...

Sorry Mitchell, I thought these were sharable links in Google docs. You have permission.

The links should be open to anyone now. Still learning Google docs.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
There is no way I would ship a GT via RO/RO.

GT35065

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
I'm too anal about my car to even think about shipping it to Europe, but that's a personal problem.

Matech GT1

GT Owner
Apr 2, 2009
London
It's perfectly safe to ship, but I would ship using a sealed container with 2 cars per container and nothing else inside. The time the cars are left waiting at either end of the journey is more of a concern. The tour I've been planning for Dave will have everything taken care of, including insurance for both the transit to Europe and the stay while in Europe. EVERYTHING will be taken care of so that those on the Tour will have zero worries, leaving maximum time for enjoyment. As Dave mentioned....it will be announced in due course and will be strictly limited in number.
Steve

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
There is no way I would ship a GT via RO/RO.
That is why I got the container quote. The guy initially thought I was asking about a Mustang.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
It's perfectly safe to ship, but I would ship using a sealed container with 2 cars per container and nothing else inside. The time the cars are left waiting at either end of the journey is more of a concern. The tour I've been planning for Dave will have everything taken care of, including insurance for both the transit to Europe and the stay while in Europe. EVERYTHING will be taken care of so that those on the Tour will have zero worries, leaving maximum time for enjoyment. As Dave mentioned....it will be announced in due course and will be strictly limited in number.
Steve

I'm IN

Go Blu

Midnite Blu

GT Owner #755
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
Southern California
Ralphie, you are #2 in line behind me. GO BLU

GT101

*UK Support*
Supporting Vendor
Jan 20, 2010
Colchester, Essex, UK
Just to clarify things the Le Mans Classic event runs every two years and is held in July. The main 24hr Le Mans race runs every year in the middle of June. I believe the European Tour will culminate at the main 24hr race.

The European Ford GT Owners Club will organise attendance at the Classic race a few weeks later as happened earlier this year.

Steven, Dave, Francis - correct me if I'm wrong

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matech GT1

GT Owner
Apr 2, 2009
London
GT101 - you are correct on my part, sir. :)

Saint Ho

GT Owner
Feb 12, 2013
Paris FRANCE
Yes Dave, our European Club is concerned by "Le Mans Classic", which is now, one the most important gatherings of sport cars in the world.

The dates of Le Mans Classic 2016 are not yet official, but they should be 1/ 2 / and 3 July 2016.

Francis.

larry21

GT Owner
Feb 13, 2006
Knutsford UK
I shipped a Lamborghini Diablo in 1997 to Florida on Ro Ro from Liverpool
Prior to it leaving I had Lamborghini fit a brand new clutch.
When I collected it in Jacksonville the clutch was slipping and on it's last legs.
Had to drive the car gingerly for three weeks.
On its return to Liverpool the car was undrivable I had to get it transported from the docks to Lamborghini Reading who told me the clutch was not only savaged but the flywheel was destroyed also.
I guess the dockers drag raced it with malicious intent.
When I bought my first GT I flew it over Brithish Airways it left with 8 miles on the clock and was delivered with 8 miles on the Clock. Cost £8000 in 2005 but worth every penny. Forget about Ro Ro unless you bring a load of Clutches and a mechanic with you.
Container is the way to go. Make sure their perfectly secured though. I had a car break loose and damaged in a container.
It would be great to meet you all in Le Mans

Last edited:

larry21

GT Owner
Feb 13, 2006
Knutsford UK
BTW I wouldn't expect the dockers to warm the cars up either prior to their drag racing

Last edited: