Trailer Tire Recommendations?

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I love my Trailex trailer. 17,000 miles since June 2013. But...3 tire fails since June 2013.

One metal fragment sliced the cord. One screw embedded in the shoulder. And now, apparent tread ply separation. The tire tread section is bulging.

A couple of tire dealers say these Goodyear Marathon Load Range C tires are the best. If true, that is sad.

Any other trailer tire recommendations?

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
All trailer tires are noticeably much worse than what you are used to for a passenger vehicle. Look for some threads around 2008 to 2011 that discuss this. I think DBK went through almost a full set when he trailered his GT to one of the Rallys. Typically, they age quickly - thus a new tire can fail after few years even if not run. Always carry a spare, some even carry 2.

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
One metal fragment sliced the cord. One screw embedded in the shoulder. And now, apparent tread ply separation. The tire tread section is bulging.

A couple of tire dealers say these Goodyear Marathon Load Range C tires are the best. If true, that is sad.

Gary, sounds like mostly bad luck.

The metal fragment and screw in the shoulder could happen to most tires.
The bulge sounds like a broken belt, which could be caused by a bad pot hole or other impact.

I know your aluminum trailer doesn't weigh a lot, but a "C" seems a little light. Can't remember the weight ratings off the top of my head (they will also vary slightly by size), but a heavier tire (D or E) would hold up a little better to road hazards.

Jeff

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
What Ralphie said -- trailer tires suck. I've used both Marathons and Carlisle's (and another brand I can't remember right now), both supposed to be the best according to tire dealers. Both tire brands only lasted about 5 years or less with very low mileage. I've had many, many blowouts during 5-12 hour trips and not from road debris or damage -- they just blew out. If they were under 5 years old, I usually got a credit for a replacement tire after they measured tire tread depth and I forced the dealer to call the manufacturer, but never a free replacement tire. Over 5 years old and you get nothing and the tire dealers never volunteer to call the manufacturer for you. I always check tire pressures before I leave on a trip. I usually only make 2-3 long trips each year and the trailer sits in one spot the rest of the time. I'm trying a new approach now to see if I can get more time on my tires. First, I bought tire covers to keep the sun off of them while in storage. Second, I'm taking all the weight off the tires by jacking up the trailer, and third, I went from D rated tires to E rated tires. We'll see if this will get me more than 5 years out of these tires. Now to wait the 5 years.

Last edited:

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I have not found any D or E in ST205 75R-14. Can't go bigger. These are OEM and actually rub very slightly. Enough to leave some inner sidewall rubber marks on the trailer frame. Not where the failures occurred though.

Last edited:

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
I run 225/75R 15 and 4 tires on a 20 ft enclosed WellsCargo trailer which weighs 4500 lbs plus the car weight.

Last edited:

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Dang! My 24.5 ft Trailex tandem weighs 1,950 lbs. I don't even have to title it in FL (under 2k lbs). 5,500 lbs with car. 7,500 lbs with car and 20 starving Hondurans.

No wonder you're blowing out tires, Jerry. You need dubs on that rig!

Last edited:

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Whoops. I looked it up and it's actually 3100 lbs curb weight. Still 50 percent heavier than yours and it does have dubs (4 tires).

Last edited:

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Xcentric,

When I bought my Trailex it had load range B tires on it. Everything went fine for the first year or so. I made multiple cross-country trips with my GT in it. Then I started having blowouts, one after another, at least six total. I thought the trailer tires were out of alignment or something else had to be screwed up. So I called up Trailex to raise holy hell and they asked me how often I was having the wheel bearings greased. I responded indignantly, "You need to grease something?". I felt really stupid as I remembered my boat dealer greasing the axle bearings on my boat trailer every year when he serviced the boat. I never even thought about it with the car trailer.

In any event my wheel bearings were bone dry and at my typical cruise speeds of 85 to 90 mph pulling that damn thing the bearings were red-hot and so were the wheels and tires. Once I greased my wheel bearings the blowouts stopped.

I did switch to C rated tires and I've had excellent luck and mileage with them. The tires I have used for the last several years are Kuhmo 205R 14C, rated to carry 2271 pounds at 55 psi. I don't know if these are the best tires but they have sure been good for me. All the best.

Chip

Last edited:

mopar

GT Owner
Jan 23, 2014
grosse ile mich
I love my Trailex trailer. 17,000 miles since June 2013. But...3 tire fails since June 2013.

Any other trailer tire recommendations?
they are the best c rated tire for sure d would be better

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Having an enclosed trailer since 1993, with, I have no idea how many miles driven, you should try a really crappy tire..... I have strayed from the Goodyears a couple times (2-3 if I recall, Cooper, and Sumitomo where 2 brands that come to mind). Yeah those really sucked. On my trailer now, and at least the last 2 sets.... Goodyear marathon....

Oh, and yes I carry 2 spares. ABSOLUTELY.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Ok, thank you all. I would prefer more plies, but N/A in the size I need. Most of my trailer miles have been at 70-75 mph. I only just found out that ST tires are rated for 65mph.

On the way to LV we weren't in any hurry. 60-65. Fuel economy improved 20% over 70-75. 16.5 vs. 13.5. It was pleasant to find diesel for $3.08/gal in Texas.

And, thank you Chip...I didn't know wheel bearings needed annual repacking. My trailer is newer, so I thought it would have sealed bearings. Carl Carbon says repack annually, something I don't recall him mentioning and not in the trailer docs.

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
And, thank you Chip...I didn't know wheel bearings needed annual repacking. My trailer is newer, so I thought it would have sealed bearings. Carl Carbon says repack annually, something I don't recall him mentioning and not in the trailer docs.

Gary, a lot of newer trailers have grease zerts in the center of the hub. I just hit mine with the grease gun every year when I rotate the tires. Just make sure you use high temp grease.

You can also install bearing buddies if they don't have the zerts already. They install in place of the bearing cap on the spindle and allow the same function of greasing with a gun.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Gary, a lot of newer trailers have grease zerts in the center of the hub. I just hit mine with the grease gun every year when I rotate the tires. Just make sure you use high temp grease.

You can also install bearing buddies if they don't have the zerts already. They install in place of the bearing cap on the spindle and allow the same function of greasing with a gun.

If you don't have Zerk fittings in the hubs, you can replace the bearing caps with "BearingBuddy"s (http://www.bearingbuddy.com/) which are available at virtually all trailer or boating stores. When installing, clean out all the old grease, replace the rear seals, then load with grease 'til the buddy pops out. I always used the NAPA Marine Bearing Grease (obviously for the boat trailer), which is also handy for my snowmobiles' grease points. http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/C...ing-Grease-14-oz-CRC/_/R-SLCSL3120_0006410094