Passenger Mirror

tkennedy41

GT Owner
Apr 12, 2012
Yardley, Pa
:facepalm: I won't go into the details, but I broke the passenger mirror on my GT. I was able to remove it but I had to cut the wires because I could only get my fingers on the connector. It seems to be located between the outer & inner door skins. Do I have to take the door completely apart or is there a trick? By the way, I ordered a mirror ($500) and they tell me they have 112 in stock at the Ford Dealership. I told I didn't plan on ever replacing it again!

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Hang in there...had many close calls, it's hard to keep bearings with width of car, b-pillars, rear view

tkennedy41

GT Owner
Apr 12, 2012
Yardley, Pa
Well, I didn't notice it at first but I managed to buckle the sheet metal on the leading edge at the mirror base. Had a guy come look at it and he said he wouldn't mess with it and if it were him, he'd leave it. Said it would be more of a red flag if the paint got damaged during repair and I repainted it versus just leaving it alone. It is a very slight buckling so I have a choice but it will certainly will bug me knowing of the imperfection. Anyone know of a repair shop that had to make a similar repair, or at least what to look for (in a shop) when I start searching??

1434gt

GT Owner
Aug 29, 2006
The gt guys I will call first

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
The gt guys...

:agree:

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Live with it for a bit

Next time ur due for major service: 5000, 10,000, 15,000 miles; let the GT Guys do it as part of a larger job

That way the insurance can pay fo it; and all those minor things you have ever wanted adjusted (fit/finish; gaps, ford racing parts or mods, short throw) they are experts to set right

Insurance co will probably have check in ur hand if u get pics or an estimate with their help.

tkennedy41

GT Owner
Apr 12, 2012
Yardley, Pa
Thanks for all the info. I contacted the GT Guys and sent then a picture. Sounds like a tough job so I will wait. Don't want to take a chance of screwing up the paint. It is a small defect and after I install the new mirror, I will probably be the only one who will actually know it's there. Small price to pay to keep it as original as I can.

DanQ

GT Owner
Aug 18, 2005
Lake Zurich, IL
Well, I didn't notice it at first but I managed to buckle the sheet metal on the leading edge at the mirror base. Had a guy come look at it and he said he wouldn't mess with it and if it were him, he'd leave it. Said it would be more of a red flag if the paint got damaged during repair and I repainted it versus just leaving it alone. It is a very slight buckling so I have a choice but it will certainly will bug me knowing of the imperfection. Anyone know of a repair shop that had to make a similar repair, or at least what to look for (in a shop) when I start searching??

Is the paint cracked? If not, a paintless dent guy might be able to remove it for $100 before you put the mirror back on.
Hard to tell without at picture.

tkennedy41

GT Owner
Apr 12, 2012
Yardley, Pa
Not sure this will work, it's my first photo insert. The Paintless guy I talked wasn't sure he could get to it. There's not much room between the dent and the mirror attachment point.

Mirror 1.jpg

SMOKDU

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2011
Call dent wizard they do work for us. They can tell if they will crack the paint. There is room to do it with the mirror off. Good luck

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
That will be tough for a dent less treatment. It appears to be close to the crease.