Rally 9 track event (hpde)

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
14926088213_147d7279d7_h.jpg

To clarify a few must haves for the driving event
A helmut and closed toed shoes.Helmuts (can be shared among different groups) No passengers unless it’s an instructor or instructor giving a ride.
We have use of the track from 10am to 6pm I plan on running to 5:30.Sunset is at 6:20 so I want to give everyone plenty of time to put there belonging back in there cars.I plan on 20 minute run groups.
I would like to have everyone at the track and ready to go by 8:30.Although 8 would be better.I will have a drivers meeting at 9 sharp.If you plan on driving in Exhibition (which is a lead follow very safe and fun) ,Beginner ,Intermediate or Advanced group you must attend the drivers meeting. If you have questions.I’m here to help you.
Get ready for a wonderful, safe, fun experience!
Ron AKA Roketman

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
That's too bad. Amy was really looking forward to track day. She loved riding shotgun at NOLA.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
She can ride shot gun in exibition

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Please watch this video so you get a feel for the track
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php/28837-Track-For-GT-Rally

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV

Which layout is it (graphically)?

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
Here is a track Map of the Hunt B. Kendall has one with turns drawn in.:thumbsup

Hunt B.jpg

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Here is a track Map of the Hunt B. Kendall has one with turns drawn in.:thumbsup

View attachment 35541

Thanks! That's what I was looking for.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I will be giving rides to anyone that wants one.

Anyone going watch the video..... Over and over..... It really will speed the leaning.

Doctr V

GT Owner
Mar 16, 2010
Pennsylvania
Ron, Im glad that there will be a lead/follow. Thats my style for sure.. Ive done it a few times but am far from a pro and dont want to make a mistake... Eric

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
I realize that Helmut and closed toe shoes are the minimum, but I intend to wear some sort of pants and shirt as well. Just sayin'. (I've probably watched that video 15 times now.)

Vince H

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I'm thinking of wearing closed toe shoes, helmet & I'm borrowing Dr Frank's Borat mankini instead of pants & shirt.

Ed

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
I'm thinking of wearing closed toe shoes, helmet & I'm borrowing Dr Frank's Borat mankini instead of pants & shirt.

Ed

You might have to fight Ed Lee to the death for it. The rest of us can place bets!

Vince H

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Here is an annotated map to help everyone to know where everything is. I've tried to mark all of the important stuff!! LOL

HuntB_Marked.jpg

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
To get to the track from the Hotel, get on I-15 South and take Blue Diamond Exit going West. Spring Mountain is 47 miles along Blue Diamond (Hwy 160). You will see the entrance to SM on your right side as you approach the outskirts of the metropolis of Pahrump. There are trees, flags, and an electronic TV screen on the building set back from the road. You will check-in at the guard gate. We encourage everyone to arrive EARLY.

PLEASE be cautious when driving on the property. There will likely be various race cars driving about and they often have limited visibility. Please obey the numerous traffic/stop signs and yield to the race cars.

If the barricade is open on the road to the left of the tunnel, you can drive across the track to get to the infield or "GT Staging Area". There will be a LARGE contingent of C7 Vettes parked about. Just find a convenient area to park. I would expect by 8:00 am this barricade will be up and everyone will be asked to use the tunnel. The tunnel is a NARROW one-lane road. On the gate side, there will likely be a person who will be operating the gate. WAIT for them to let you go through. When you are coming back out, pull up to the staging area and wait for the green light and proceed cautiously through the tunnel. Just be careful and be patient for incoming cars.

Above the "Corvette Bldg" is a strip of condos. On the right end of this strip there is an open garage space we will use for the Driver's Meeting. Ron would like to start the Driver's meeting at 9:00am SHARP. Please plan to gather there at the beginning of the day. There are bathrooms in the Corvette Building AND about mid-way on the bottom floor of the condo-strip. There are even nicer bathrooms up at the Clubhouse. Lunch will be served in the Club House from 11:30-1:30. No need to rush up there, there will be plenty of food throughout that period. Terry/Monica/Kelvin (AlohaGT) garage is immediately across from the clubhouse. Our Cool Tech garage is at A5 as indicated on the map. Feel free to drop by anytime and if you need anything, let us know!

I numbered the corners for the simple reason to make communication easier when Ron or another instructor is speaking to you. I also noted the approximate Track-ON and Track-OFF locations. Ron will cover ALL of the safety and driving etiquette rules. Note that when you are getting on, you will be staying to the right as you come up to speed. Similarly, if you intend to exit the track you will be staying to the right as you decel to a safe exit speed. If you are on-track, be especially observant of these two special areas of the track. Ron will cover in much more detail.

The straight between the hair-pin-like Turn 5 and Turn 6 is the fastest straight of the track. I suspect that the GTs will be conservatively at 130mph before braking. You will be climbing up in elevation through 6, 7, and up to 8. To lower-HP cars, this is almost like a straight and they can stay at WOT all the way to the Turn 8 braking zone. Be careful through this high-speed part of the track as the speed at the turn-8 braking marker could even be higher than at turn 6.

So, while 5 to 6, and 6 to 8, are the highest speed parts of the track, turn 5 is tricky for any car but maybe especially for a high-HP, mid-engine car with a lot of TQ. Compounding this already tricky corner there are a few PAINTED candy-canes and curbing through this section. PAINTED surfaces are SLIPPERY! I think Ron will talk a lot about turn 5 and give everyone his advice for the best way through. It has a higher probability for incident AND it is the turn before the main passing area. I would recommend that slower drivers exercise good track etiquette and if you see someone behind you in turns 2, 3, and 4 be prepared to let them pass AFTER turn 5. Similarly, if you are behind a slower driver through 2, 3, and 4.... give them a little distance at turn 5. There will be some rotations there - guaranteed... let's just keep them to 10-15 degrees max and not 180, 360 or 720!

Anyway, I just wanted to pass along a few tidbits. EVERYONE is there to make sure that all participants have both a safe and wonderful time!!!

Last edited:

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Thanks for the info nota4re. Good stuff. Maybe 5 is best taken sideways! LOL.

Ed

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
^^^ Looks like a good opportunity for power oversteer.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Schedule for Track day
Arrive 8-8:30 Unload your car of all lose objects.Including our cute little trunks
Instructor meeting 8:30-900
MANDATORY DRIVERS MEETING 9-945 Please do not miss this.Your saftey depends on it!
Exhibition/Beginners 10-10:20
Intermediate 10:25-10:45
Advanced 10:50-11:10
Exhibition/Beginners 11:15-11:35
LUNCH IS AVAILABLE 11:30-1:00
Exhibition/Beginners This is a good time to get lunch
Intermediate 11:40-12:00
Intermediates This is a good time to get lunch
Advanced 12:05-12:25
Advanced This is a good time for lunch But I will need 4 instructors for the next group
Exhibition/Beginners 12:30-12:50
Intermediate 12:55-1:15
Advanced 1:20 -1:40
Exhibition/Beginners 1:45-2:10
Intermediate 2:15-2:35
Advanced 2:40-3:00
Exhibition/Beginner 3:05-3:25
Intermediate 3:30-3:50
Advanced 3:55-4:15
Exhibition/Beginner 4:20-4:40
Intermediate 4:45-5:00
Advanced 5:05-5:55
As you can see there is only 5 minutes between run groups.Please be ready!
Only Instructors can take people for rides.
There will be Loaner helmets available at the track.
Nothing is really set in stone so we can adjust and change things as necessary.
Its all about a fun safe time. This is all that matters.
So get ready to have some fun!!!!!
Ron Aka Roketman

Doctr V

GT Owner
Mar 16, 2010
Pennsylvania
Thanks for the info nota4re. Good stuff. Maybe 5 is best taken sideways! LOL.

Ed

I will follow Ed Sims...

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Is there a place we can practice heel-toe for a couple of turns before getting on the track?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Can we have our gopros in the cab?