Yikes - supercharger problem 10 hours before Rally Xport

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada
I think it was a question of 3.4 vs 4.0!
I have a a june 2012 3.4l and hope to have no issues til 100,000 miles. At that point, I will be dust, myself.

So...........

Whipple Charged

Dec 9, 2005
?????? Am I

Get me the serial number from the top of the compressor/bearing plate.

Whipple Charged

Dec 9, 2005
Yes, I did.

Thanks!

Give me some info like boost, engine rpm and I'll get you some info.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Turbo's are not "free HP". Back pressure takes energy too. At 20psi, there is only a slight difference.

Regarding that last sentence, my friend, you are VERY sadly mistaken. It's not a theoretical debate. I have a multitude of dyno charts of YOUR superchargers on Ford GTs and similarly, a couple of dozen dyno charts on TT GTs. The TT - at the same boost pressures are making MORE THAN 100HP over the Whipples. FACT.

Obviously you are very proud of your products, and you have every right to be. There are advantages of a SC over the TT route. Cost per HP added, for example, is decidedly in the SC favor. As far as the workload on the engine, HP/psi of boost, and less-than-OEM crank keyway torque, the TT's are king. Many, many other pros and cons - but please don't hang your hat on HP/psi of boost unless you have the facts to back it up.

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada
Get me the serial number from the top of the compressor/bearing plate.
Thanks and will do after family, this weekend.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
i love my whipple superchargers and have one on my boat too. i am still running the stock supercharger on my Lightning but hope to put a Whipple on it someday. i hope to buy a Cobra Jet with a Whipple someday too. if and when i ever do.... that is when i will put TT's on my GT. i want to run TT's with my Borla headers that Kendall and Ryan installed at Cooltech. so i am hoping that Heffners kit works with headers or can be modified to work with headers. does anybody know if any of the TT kits for GT's on the market are Header compatible out of the box or do they have to be modified???

Last edited:

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
does anybody know if any of the TT kits for GT's on the market are Header compatible out of the box or do they have to be modified???

Hey Freddy! This turns into a packaging challenge. From a peak psi/HP perspective, there is likely a multitude of custom options that you can choose from to place the turbos in different places. However, our experience is that the ultimate performance/driveability of the TT's is when you can get the boost from the TT as LOW in the rpm range as possible. In order to do this, two of the largest factors are the size and the location of the turbos. Simply stated, the closer that you can get the turbos to the exhaust ports, the faster that you can get them to spool. Within our GT's - the closest practical placement is in the space occupied by the large OEM cat converters. Now, if you consider that the turbos are placed here you have a relatively short space (and the challenge of sneaking under the half-shafts) to fit manifolds or headers. Long story short, when we worked with Heffner in developing the "V2" of his TT kit, we eliminated his (beautiful) headers in favor of the stock manifolds and a very "proprietary" sized tubing from the manifold outlets to the turbos. The results were amazing and in the unanimous opinion of those that upgraded to the V2 - they were "stunned" at the difference in driveability.

In summary, you can keep your headers and get a custom-developed TT system. You can get even bigger turbos if you are not confined to the cat converter location and you can have HP where the sky is the limit. As a race machine, this may a better choice.... it all depends on what you want to do with the car.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
Hey Freddy! This turns into a packaging challenge. From a peak psi/HP perspective, there is likely a multitude of custom options that you can choose from to place the turbos in different places. However, our experience is that the ultimate performance/driveability of the TT's is when you can get the boost from the TT as LOW in the rpm range as possible. In order to do this, two of the largest factors are the size and the location of the turbos. Simply stated, the closer that you can get the turbos to the exhaust ports, the faster that you can get them to spool. Within our GT's - the closest practical placement is in the space occupied by the large OEM cat converters. Now, if you consider that the turbos are placed here you have a relatively short space (and the challenge of sneaking under the half-shafts) to fit manifolds or headers. Long story short, when we worked with Heffner in developing the "V2" of his TT kit, we eliminated his (beautiful) headers in favor of the stock manifolds and a very "proprietary" sized tubing from the manifold outlets to the turbos. The results were amazing and in the unanimous opinion of those that upgraded to the V2 - they were "stunned" at the difference in driveability.

In summary, you can keep your headers and get a custom-developed TT system. You can get even bigger turbos if you are not confined to the cat converter location and you can have HP where the sky is the limit. As a race machine, this may a better choice.... it all depends on what you want to do with the car.

Thanks for the info Kendall. believe it or not i have never even ridden in a GT with TT's :willy

i have had the pleasure of racing my GT in many different modified configurations producing different amounts of horsepower down through the years and TT's are the next step for me unless i want to put bigger fuel pumps in, etc.

stock supercharger used in combo with TT's would offset the torque loss in the lower rpm range from the headers as i would not use Borla headers and would get a set of shorty headers instead. cutting the rear bumper off would offset the increase in weight from the turbo's.

at this point i can find 10 reasons to put TT's on my GT and one not too :cheers

Last edited:

shesgotlegs

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 20, 2006
I have 55,000 miles on my Gen 1 that includes many track days with zero problems.
I also have about 80,000 miles on a JDM longblock that includes a Whipple 3.3 or 3.4 ( can't remember) in my everyday street 2003 harley Ford pickup that has 590 rwhp and rwtq with zero problems. This truck has been on the drag strip many many times ( and catches many off gaurd :) :)
Anyway aside from the very noticeable performance loss due to the heat soak in some applications with the GT's set up, i have found them to be of very good value over all. :thumbsup

As an aside, i have also owned 2 Kenne Bells applied on the Harley in the past and was extremely disappointed in their tendency to consume their own oil . :thumbsdow

Whipple Charged

Dec 9, 2005
Regarding that last sentence, my friend, you are VERY sadly mistaken. It's not a theoretical debate. I have a multitude of dyno charts of YOUR superchargers on Ford GTs and similarly, a couple of dozen dyno charts on TT GTs. The TT - at the same boost pressures are making MORE THAN 100HP over the Whipples. FACT.

Obviously you are very proud of your products, and you have every right to be. There are advantages of a SC over the TT route. Cost per HP added, for example, is decidedly in the SC favor. As far as the workload on the engine, HP/psi of boost, and less-than-OEM crank keyway torque, the TT's are king. Many, many other pros and cons - but please don't hang your hat on HP/psi of boost unless you have the facts to back it up.

Correct, but I said with the proper air inlet system...... The stock air box, with new filters is EXTREMELY restrictive to the positive displacement SC. At 20psi with a 4.0L, the right air inlet system is worth well over 50hp. Since the TT doesn't have the inlet restrictions, its not apples for apples. And as for facts, I think building twin screw superchargers since 1988... I have a few facts to back it up.

As for torque on the front of the crank, that wasn't even mentioned, nor argued. But were not talking EGT's, zero chance of ever passing emissions or being legal in CA, massive lag, poor throttle response (especially with factory electronics). I certainly didn't say TT's don't make HP, I've had them here on our dyno so I know what they are capable of. I clearly gave the boost numbers where they are competitive and when they are not.....

Whipple Charged

Dec 9, 2005

Correct, but I said with the proper air inlet system...... The stock air box, with new filters is EXTREMELY restrictive to the positive displacement SC. At 20psi with a 4.0L, the right air inlet system is worth well over 50hp. Since the TT doesn't have the inlet restrictions, its not apples for apples. And as for facts, I think building twin screw superchargers since 1988... I have a few facts to back it up.

As for torque on the front of the crank, that wasn't even mentioned, nor argued. But were not talking EGT's, massive lag, zero possibility for ever passing emissions testing, poor throttle response (especially with factory electronics). I certainly didn't say TT's don't make HP, I've had them here on our dyno so I know what they are capable of. I clearly gave the boost numbers where they are competitive and when they are not.....

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Jaxgt has come and gone. Problem fixed. No metal shavings in the intercooler. All is well and Jaxgt will be at the rally with his car! Took a while to diagnose as after we changed the blower, we had an entirely new issue, but found it and car is running like a champ! See you guys next week at the rally!

Wow. Just seeing all this now. Glad to see you here at the Rally 9 Mitchell!