Yikes - supercharger problem 10 hours before Rally Xport

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I love the Whipple don't get me wrong. But the truth is 2 of them have died on me. Would I be better off getting a 4.0 since the 3.4 is unreliable for me? How many 3.4's have died?

Ed

Whipple Charged

Dec 9, 2005
I love the Whipple don't get me wrong. But the truth is 2 of them have died on me. Would I be better off getting a 4.0 since the 3.4 is unreliable for me? How many 3.4's have died?

Ed
From our records, very few. Yes 4.0 is better, 4.5 is even better yet.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Yes 4.0 is better, 4.5 is even better yet.

Just curious: How many parasitic horse puppies are required to power "A" vs. "B"?

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Jaxgt has come and gone. Problem fixed. No metal shavings in the intercooler. All is well and Jaxgt will be at the rally with his car! Took a while to diagnose as after we changed the blower, we had an entirely new issue, but found it and car is running like a champ! See you guys next week at the rally!

Great on the fly service!

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Just curious: How many parasitic horse puppies are required to power "A" vs. "B"?
I second that question. What are the advantages of going to a larger SC? Just more boost, or does it run at slower RPM and give better efficiency?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
...or does it run at slower RPM and give better efficiency?

That's always been the popular view (lower rpms = less heat, etc.)...but, the s/c on new Zo6 seems to turn that belief on its head.

'Waaaay above my pay grade...

Last edited:

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
In the technical papers that some of the Ford Engineers submitted to SAE, I believe they were quoting 70-75 HP to drive the blower. Add a smaller pulley and that number will go up. I'd estimate that the Whipples are over 100HP. That all falls in line with our dyno testing of SC cars versus the TT's. For an equivalent amount of boost, the TT's are in the neighborhood of 100-150 more HP. As an example, if we're asking the engine to produce 800HP (~20psi of boost), with the TT's, you're gonna see all of these ponies show up at the rear wheels (less drivetrain losses, of course.) With the SC, ~700 of these ponies are gonna be at the rear wheels and the other 100+ are going to be driving the SC. Put another way, if two different cars are making 800 RWHP and one is SC and the other is TT, the TT is putting a LOT less stress on the engine.

All of this is very "feelable" by the butt-ometer. We've debated the SC vc TT ad nauseam and there most definitely a very feelable, instant-on/instantly-available power on the SC cars. But the TT's , while they may build boost a second or so behind the SC's, there's the easier/free-er running of the engine that is VERY detectable. When compared back to back, the SC cars feel like there's an emergency brake set against the crankshaft at about 20-30%.

Yesterday I picked up AlohaGT's TT at LAX. I drove it ~35 miles to work and then ~30 miles home. I have driven a LOT of GT's. Driving that car is a religious experience.

The last thing I'll say..... There's two kinds of people.... those completely in love with the TT cars (myself included), and those that have never driven (a proper) one!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
A 3rd kind of person living in CA that worries about CARB.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
In the technical papers that some of the Ford Engineers submitted to SAE, I believe they were quoting 70-75 HP to drive the blower. Add a smaller pulley and that number will go up. I'd estimate that the Whipples are over 100HP. That all falls in line with our dyno testing of SC cars versus the TT's. For an equivalent amount of boost, the TT's are in the neighborhood of 100-150 more HP. As an example, if we're asking the engine to produce 800HP (~20psi of boost), with the TT's, you're gonna see all of these ponies show up at the rear wheels (less drivetrain losses, of course.) With the SC, ~700 of these ponies are gonna be at the rear wheels and the other 100+ are going to be driving the SC. Put another way, if two different cars are making 800 RWHP and one is SC and the other is TT, the TT is putting a LOT less stress on the engine.

All of this is very "feelable" by the butt-ometer. We've debated the SC vc TT ad nauseam and there most definitely a very feelable, instant-on/instantly-available power on the SC cars. But the TT's , while they may build boost a second or so behind the SC's, there's the easier/free-er running of the engine that is VERY detectable. When compared back to back, the SC cars feel like there's an emergency brake set against the crankshaft at about 20-30%.

Yesterday I picked up AlohaGT's TT at LAX. I drove it ~35 miles to work and then ~30 miles home. I have driven a LOT of GT's. Driving that car is a religious experience.

The last thing I'll say..... There's two kinds of people.... those completely in love with the TT cars (myself included), and those that have never driven (a proper) one!

my first race car was a Datsun 240-Z with 280-ZX Turbo drivetrain. i had a custom blow through turbo/intercooled setup that had to blow through three sidedraft Mikuni 44 carb's to feed the 2.8L straight six motor. this car was super lightweight and fast but drove like a 60's cobra which i have driven on a road race course too. it was a tempermental bitch to tune and nightmare when it came to reliability as i would often be winning the race only to lose to a part failure. one time i qualified first and my motor would not fire for the main. this car taught me what not to do with future projects.

when i bought my '01 Viper ACR i parked the Datsun and never drove it again. The Viper is hard go fast in but not as hard as my old Datsun was. the GT is a walk in the park compared to these cars.

anyway, i have a turbocharged dragbike now that runs really good and me and my race team look forward to putting TT's on my GT someday with the help of my car lift, etc and would like to have it setup to still use my Borla Headers. can Heffners TT kit be setup that way?

Last edited:

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
A 3rd kind of person living in CA that worries about CARB.

Me too Clinton! Probably not in the cards... until one day when I can retire in Nevada..... and live happily ever after at SM!

Whipple Charged

Dec 9, 2005

Do you mean 4.0L vs 4.5L? That answer is really complicated. At the same airflow, the larger compressor is slightly less but the 4.5L has more capacity so per rev it takes more. Its always best to fit the SC that best fits the airflow required. The 4.5 is by far our best compressor. Bigger, better everything.

Whipple Charged

Dec 9, 2005
Me too Clinton! Probably not in the cards... until one day when I can retire in Nevada..... and live happily ever after at SM!

3.3L and 4.0L are CARB legal.

Whipple Charged

Dec 9, 2005
I second that question. What are the advantages of going to a larger SC? Just more boost, or does it run at slower RPM and give better efficiency?

Closer to peak efficiency through the entire rpm range. If your just chasing HP, then you want the compressor to be as close to the "sweet spot" near peak rpm. If your chasing torque, you want the smallest compressor as it hits sweet spot early but sacrifices HP. But in general, keeping SC speeds down is beneficial in every way. Longer life, lower temps, etc.

Whipple Charged

Dec 9, 2005

Turbo's are not "free HP". Back pressure takes energy too. At 20psi, there is only a slight difference. Many don't realize how restrictive the stock air box is. Remove that and the proper SC vs TT is rather close. Now at 30 and up psi, there is a significant difference as the power consumptions start to greatly increase. But with the right air system, the 4.5L, our new massive throttle body making 20+psi of boost is acceleration very few can compare too.

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada
Do you mean 4.0L vs 4.5L? That answer is really complicated. At the same airflow, the larger compressor is slightly less but the 4.5L has more capacity so per rev it takes more. Its always best to fit the SC that best fits the airflow required. The 4.5 is by far our best compressor. Bigger, better everything.

I think it was a question of 3.4 vs 4.0!
I have a a june 2012 3.4l and hope to have no issues til 100,000 miles. At that point, I will be dust, myself.

Whipple Charged

Dec 9, 2005
275ax with elliptical TB.

Attachments

• Ford GT 275_1.jpg
    Ford GT 275_1.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 136
  • Ford GT 275_2.jpg
    Ford GT 275_2.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 133
  • Ford GT Eliptical 800.jpg
    Ford GT Eliptical 800.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 128

Whipple Charged

Dec 9, 2005
A beautiful install at Fischer Motorsports with a FM custom air intake system....

Attachments

• FM 275 2.jpg
    FM 275 2.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 138
  • FM_275 1.jpg
    FM_275 1.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 125
  • FM 275 3.jpg
    FM 275 3.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 128

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
3.3L and 4.0L are CARB legal.

I know that's why I own one! :thumbsup

Kendall and I were referring the TT when speaking of CARB.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

Do you mean 4.0L vs 4.5L?

Yes, I did.

Thanks!

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada
?????? Am I