Yikes - supercharger problem 10 hours before Rally Xport

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I moved my car this AM, to get ready for pickup scheduled in 10 hrs to head to Vegas. I heard a weird sound from the supercharger and had a good friend, who is a great race mechanic, look at it early this am. Car drove fine about 2 weeks ago, and sounded normal, albeit a pesky supercharger belt squeak which I thought nothing of. Only first noticed sounds today.

He said he is positive it is an internal problem in the Whipple (it’s a Gen 2). In his words, either ‘ a gear to gear problem ‘ or perhaps the ‘rotors are hitting each other because of a bad bearing’. He was confidant it was not the idler / tensioner pulley or belt.

His advice was not to take the car to Vegas, as if the Whipple went out completely during hard driving, ‘it would be really bad if it chewed up metal parts and spit them in the engine…’ Yikes.

Any thoughts appreciated as at this point, as will probably not transport car.

Bummer on my end.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
His advice was not to take the car to Vegas, as if the Whipple went out completely during hard driving, ‘it would be really bad if it chewed up metal parts and spit them in the engine…’ Yikes.

You already know your best option. :wink

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
We have 3 slightly used Whipples for sale. I know Kendall and the GT guys are going to be doing some work at the rally. Since you already have a whipple, installing a new one would not be that hard. Let me know if your interested in buying one. I could ship it out on the transporter with my cars and it would be there on sunday / Monday if you can get one of those guys to do the install. Let me know....

option #2, have the transporter stop by our place. We could install a new whipple in less than 2 hours while the carrier waits. I imagine he will be passing by somewhat close to us anyway.....

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Bummer Dude .. :frown Shelby may have a good solution for you !! Hope to see you and Blackie in Vegas !!

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
jax - I replied to your email as well. I agree with Shelby. If swinging by his shop works, that's great and 2-hours is a good or even conservative figure to swap 1 for 1. His team is very qualified. If that doesn't work, you could bring it all the way to Vegas. Ryan is arriving Wednesday night. If you want/need it done before that, the GTGUYS may be able to do it and it letting them use our garage and tools at Spring Mountain would be no problem for us if it can help you.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Rich and Denis expressed a desire not to do any work this trip but you can always ask.

What day is your car expected in Vegas? If you can get the unit here I have tools and we can swap it in my garage if you and it would be here Saturday, maybe Sunday.

They can be rebuilt. PSE Superchargers in Oklahoma City.

Last edited:

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Two of my Whipples died also. I'm on Whipple #3. I can't give details here but ask me at the Rally.

Ed

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
First off you guys are awesome. So many volunteering to help. What a group. Kendall/Shelby/Twobjshelbys. THANKS!

Rich (GT Guy) just called me – I left him a message as he is going to be at the Rally.
He said his concern was that when Whipples go bad (he has seen it three times) often shreds of metal find their way into the intercooler.
If that is the case, he said one has to replace the intercooler too (bigger job), otherwise metal will work its way into the engine (bad and very expensive).
He suggested very risky to just swap Whipple without being ready to replace the intercooler too if need be.

Might have to either ship something else to the rally or go car less

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
You can have your SC off in less than an hour and see if there is debris sitting on top or the inter cooler. This will tell you how damaged the SC is .. good luck !!

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Ugh. Murphy's Law. Sorry to hear, Jax. But have no fear. Bring your CGT. That'll fit in nicely around here!

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Shelby to the rescue!!!!!! I hope it works out for you jaxgt.

Ed

PS Or maybe Kendal can do it at the Rally?

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
My intercooler was fine after both Whipples died. Only the one Whipple grenaded & sent metal on top the intercooler. No metal in engine. Intercooler was fine.

Ed

PS I was told they only have a 10,000 mile life span & can't be rebuilt. I'm not believing that anymore. At least the rebuilt part of it.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Ed, our experience is similar to yours. "Only" 1 in 3 had any kind of metal on the intake filter screen (aka intercooler). Not enough to be statistically significant as to what Mitchell may expect. The most common failure that we've seen is pilot bearing failure which then leads to rotor contact. Sounds terrible but typically not crunching together to cause metal chunks. If any evidence of metal particles, the intercooler can be cleaned.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Hopefully, you can have the car serviced at Elite Motors - they should be able to tell you if the intercooler needs replacement, and might even have a replacement if necessay.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
It would not suck to see your CGT, (and have me pester you for a ride), if the best car in the world is out of commission.

andymlow

GT Owner
May 17, 2007
Sarasota, FL
Sorry to hear about the SC Jax. You have to come anyway regardless. The CGT would be most welcome if need be. Maybe Heffner can get a twin turbo on there before the rally and you can avoid all this Whipple BS?

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Car is on its way here. We will address the issue Thursday morning when it arrives and have you all ready for the rally. We have everything needed here in house to repair the car short of it needing a new engine.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Gotta say, that's pretty awesome...and badass, Shelby:) Crisis averted!

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Car is on its way here. We will address the issue Thursday morning when it arrives and have you all ready for the rally. We have everything needed here in house to repair the car short of it needing a new engine.

:thumbsup :thumbsup

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
WOW bummer news but awesome solution! What a great bunch of people!:thumbsup