dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Reportedly, At Least

By Jeff Glucker5 hours ago

Our friends at Road & Track are typically very much in the know when it comes to the development of future products. That's why we're extremely excited to hear that a brand-new Ford GT is seemingly being prepped to make a 2016 debut.

The choice of year here is no coincidence, of course, as that would put the new Ford GT introduction on par with the 50th anniversary of the automaker's inaugural Le Mans victory. Otherwise known as the time Ford put Ferrari firmly in check.

A new Ford GT would obviously be a welcome and wonderful thing for this world. We are currently in a golden age for the supercar and hypercar loving set, with the likes of Pagani, Koenigsegg, Ferrari, McLaren, and Porsche churning out vehicles that push the boundaries of what's possible with a four-wheeled conveyance. Adding a new Ford GT to that mix would be, well, super.

Now, we can't imagine that the Ford GT would go full-on hypercar hybrid powertrain. This is an American icon, and as such we expect it to utilize some form of V-8 engine, most likely with a bit of forced induction. Road & Track seems to think the same as well, but they also speculate that there could be a racing version that utilizes a heavily massaged 3.5-liter EcoBoost V-6 engine. Apparently these units are good for power figures well into the 600 horsepower range.

Regardless, we're just excited to see a new Ford GT enter the world. If Ford also decides to take it racing, the rest of the world should get excited as well... or scared.

debtdrives

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 20, 2007
Oakland, Michigan 48363
merge the threads?

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Can We lobby the Ford Camp to give owners of Gen 1 cars the first crack at the Gen 2 cars at list price :biggrin

Joe Dozzo

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2006
Canon City, CO
So what hotel do you recommend for the 2015 Detroit Auto Show?

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Can We lobby the Ford Camp to give owners of Gen 1 cars the first crack at the Gen 2 cars at list price :biggrin

your math skills need a refresher

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I want on the list! How cool would this be.

BM SoCal

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 2, 2009
Orange County, CA
Yeah me too. And of they were offered to current owners first it'd be tough for my wife to say no, after all it's a one shot deal.

So if it were true that a 50th anniversary GT were coming and knowing that GT40 was a taken name and apparently unavailable at a reasonable price. Also knowing that just calling it a Ford GT is annoying as it gets repeatedly confused with Mustang GT etc. Does it not seem logical that a solid name would be the Ford GT50? Just don't make it 50" high :)

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Does it not seem logical that a solid name would be the Ford GT50?

'Works for me. I've long said the FGT should have been called the GT44 or GT43 from the get-go to eliminate the FGT/GT Mustang bull pucky...especially at the parts counter. :facepalm:

SMOKDU

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2011
At least I do not have to get in line . is invoice a fair price. lol

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Keep it simple, MKII if it looks similar to ours or MKIV if it is a completely new design would be my vote.

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
+1

bret a ewing

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
If Ford was to build a successful "new" GT it would have to be a 204mph BMW i8 for $150k.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
If Ford was to build a successful "new" GT it would have to be a 204mph BMW i8 for $150k.

I think I'm going to be ILL... :ack

bret a ewing

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
Hehe..............and in less than 10 years it will be autonomous.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
IF this car is for real, I at least hope its windshield can be replaced w/o taking its front end apart.

(Yup. That STILL irritates the stuffin's outta me to this day! Yeeeeeeew have NO idea! :lol)

bret a ewing

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
State Farm windshield replacement coverage - $100.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
IF this car is for real, I at least hope its windshield can be replaced w/o taking its front end apart.

(Yup. That STILL irritates the stuffin's outta me to this day! Yeeeeeeew have NO idea! :lol)

EP, you owned your GT for about an hour and a half and as I understand it the car never left the garage. Just how many windshields did you have to replace?:confused

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
State Farm windshield replacement coverage - $100.

Dear lord!!! Do those people even have a CLUE what's involved in doing that job CORRECTLY???

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
EP, you owned your GT for about an hour and a half and as I understand it the car never left the garage. Just how many windshields did you have to replace?:confused

Eeeeeeeeh, shuddup, Steve! :lol

bret a ewing

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
Nope no idea. Additionally they no longer offer a free nick repair from Safe Lite. State Farm price ~$30 vs windshield replacement $300+.

Last edited: