Suggestions for pneumatic tools....

BAT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 11, 2012
Central Mitten
Finally added a compressor in the garage and now am in search of pneumatic tools. After digging through Grainger, Northern Tool and a few others, my head is spinning. So any suggestions of brands, what to get, etc. would be appreciated. I am no mechanic by any means but I do the baics ( change brake pads, change the oil and other fluids, plus miner modifications). Besides cars and trucks, I also play with KTM dirt bikes. Thanks in advance...

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
FWIW, I find air tools really beat the heck out of fasteners, so even though I have several air tools, I rarely use them (not even for lug nuts). Im partial to Snap on (almost all my hand tools are also), but the $ might scare you.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
It depends on your usage. Snap On and Mac and others like them are pricey but will last forever. I'd say Sears but they've given up on being a pro type tool out but I imagine aren't now any worse than the others you get.

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
I've been very happy with my Ingersoll Rands.

The impact can be greased periodically to extend the life of the internal gears.

They have a composite available that is light weight and can really make a difference.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
It depends on your usage. Snap On and Mac and others like them are pricey but will last forever. I'd say Sears but they've given up on being a pro type tool out but I imagine aren't now any worse than the others you get.

I had to get the drain plug out of a SBC. I broke the allen wrench and went to Sears for a 3/8 allen socket for a 3/8 ratchet. Was in a set for ~$20. OK.

While using it it shattered in less than 2 seconds. Back to sears to find out most of the stocked tools are imported from China - just like harbor freight.

so, what to do? I then went for the upgraded AMERICAN MADE set for $60...... buyer beware.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
The general rule is to buy highest quality tools. However, on pneumatic tools and electric tools I take a more nuanced approach. If you can afford Snap-on, by all means, go for it, but if you don't use pneumatic tools very often, the cheaper ones will probably outlast your intended usage. I'd go for the Craftsman or equivalent. The one area not to go cheap, as MAD IN NC related, is on the 1/2" drive impact sockets. Those take a real beating, so get the best. A 3/8" drive air ratchet can be real handy for getting off fasteners where you don't have a lot of room to swing the ratchet--if you can get the socket on it, the air ratchet will make quick work of getting it out. The air ratchet also doesn't beat the sockets as hard as a 1/2" drive impact wrench, so you can get away with using the standrad sockets you already own. I have air tools, but I only use them occasionally, or when a fastener is really stuck.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
I then went for the upgraded AMERICAN MADE set for $60...... buyer beware.

Mike, I think I missed the nuance. Are you saying that you purchased an upgraded set of Craftsman? If so, I was not aware there was an upgraded set available. What are they marketed as? Thanks

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Is it true that Kobalt (the Lowe's house brand) bought the tool factory IN THE US that Sears used to use?

I got something at Sears just after we moved to Vegas and I recall seeing they had two classes of product, the second having the lifetime warranty and the first not.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Sears sells two lines. Sears and Craftsman. Only the Craftsman HAND tools have the lifetime warranty. IE not air tools, not air driven impact sockets, not torque wrenches. Hand tools.

Back to air tools. I bought the full set over the years. The only ones I use anymore are the 1/2 impact, a die grinder and the tools for filling tires and blowing out the garage.

In the impact. Don't cut corners here. IngersolRand 2131 is about the best impact you could own. Its also sold under the Craftsman name but its the same impact. The one that shows 600 ftlbs in the 1/2 inch drive. I have on occasion used an air hammer chisel to remove a frozen bolt on an old truck.

Air ratchets are more trouble than dragging the hose around is worth. Get a GOOD Bosch, DeWalt or Milwakee lithium battery driver tool, makes short work of belly pan fasteners and any other time you need to do a lot of them. The air ratchet is just too unwieldy with the hose and the electric driver is stronger.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Well, my $.02 is that the air tools are going the way of the dinosaurs in favor of cordless. We have two of every air tool known to mankind plus three others, but have slowly been evolving toward the cordless tools because they are that much more convenient. We now use our shop air almost exclusively for filling tires (as well as driving the air over hydraulics on the tire changer).

Take a very serious look at the Milwaukee cordless tools and wherever possible get their brushless versions. The brushless motor versions are typically more powerful and better on battery life. Our 1/2 impact tool (lug nuts, etc) is now cordless as well as our favorite and most-used impact which is the 3/8. We also have Milwaukee's 3/8 cordless ratchet and numerous versions of their drills and drivers. Long story short, we have had a long history of using air tools and the shop is completely outfitted to run air tools quite easily (lines everywhere and big compressor) but the reality is that we prefer the cordless tools and we believe that Milwaukee is the best in the business.

For our shop/garage at Spring Mountain I found myself recently shopping for compressors and then I realized what the heck I was doing. Out there we have a small compressor for tire filling and we are almost exclusively cordless - by explicit preference.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
I still find that "wrenching" with hand tools gives me more pleasure than battery powered or air tools - however I have learned to wear mechanic's or latex gloves to protect my hands. Yet, there are some duties that are best done with air tools - die grinding, cut-off wheels are most useful when removing riveted ball joints; an air ratchet for bolts and nuts which have no room to swing a wrench or hand ratchet; an impact wrench for stubborn nuts; a cordless drill to spin off lugnuts once loosened. I like to "feel" the tightness of a bolt or nut with a wrench, ratchet or torque wrench - it's a sort of emotional satisfaction that one can only get with a hand tool (after learning from experience that making it too tight will wind up twisting it off and require an easy-out). The whole idea of "wrenching" is to feel at one with the assembly or disassembly.

However, if your income business is doing these operations, I'm sure these esthetics are long gone….

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Well, my $.02 is that the air tools are going the way of the dinosaurs in favor of cordless. We have two of every air tool known to mankind plus three others, but have slowly been evolving toward the cordless tools because they are that much more convenient. We now use our shop air almost exclusively for filling tires (as well as driving the air over hydraulics on the tire changer).
Thanks for the tip. I have seen people use them, but hadn't really thought about it for myself. I'll take another look at that option. They are much quieter too.

Dolph

GT Owner
Dec 25, 2012
Ruston, LA
I still find that "wrenching" with hand tools gives me more pleasure than battery powered or air tools - however I have learned to wear mechanic's or latex gloves to protect my hands. Yet, there are some duties that are best done with air tools - die grinding, cut-off wheels are most useful when removing riveted ball joints; an air ratchet for bolts and nuts which have no room to swing a wrench or hand ratchet; an impact wrench for stubborn nuts; a cordless drill to spin off lugnuts once loosened. I like to "feel" the tightness of a bolt or nut with a wrench, ratchet or torque wrench - it's a sort of emotional satisfaction that one can only get with a hand tool (after learning from experience that making it too tight will wind up twisting it off and require an easy-out). The whole idea of "wrenching" is to feel at one with the assembly or disassembly.

However, if your income business is doing these operations, I'm sure these esthetics are long gone….

I agree with ya. Very true.

Dolph

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston

Take a very serious look at the Milwaukee cordless tools and wherever possible get their brushless versions. The brushless motor versions are typically more powerful and better on battery life. Our 1/2 impact tool (lug nuts, etc) is now cordless as well as our favorite and most-used impact which is the 3/8. We also have Milwaukee's 3/8 cordless ratchet and numerous versions of their drills and drivers. Long story short, we have had a long history of using air tools and the shop is completely outfitted to run air tools quite easily (lines everywhere and big compressor) but the reality is that we prefer the cordless tools and we believe that Milwaukee is the best in the business.

For our shop/garage at Spring Mountain I found myself recently shopping for compressors and then I realized what the heck I was doing. Out there we have a small compressor for tire filling and we are almost exclusively cordless - by explicit preference.

I was looking at cordless impact wrenchs. 1/2 inch, 600ft lbs or more to replace my pneumatic IR 2131 that I have used for many years. Looked at DeWalt and Milwaukee and both of them fall short of the goal. IR has a cordless rated at 750 but its $600 and I'm not sure on IR's reputation on electrics yet.

Did I miss looking at the right model or is there some choice other than the high dollar IR cordless you can recommend?

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I didnt mention IR at all. I am a BIG Milwaukee Cordless advocate. Milwaukee has numerous models in different sizes and price points. Go to Ebay, for example and search on Milwaukee cordless impact. You'll see models like the Milwaukee 2763-20, "the most powerful cordless wrench in its class, delivering up to 700 ft-lbs of maximum fastening torque, 1,100 ft-lbs of nut-busting torque and up to 2X more runtime." If that isn't sufficient to replace your pneumatic tools, you must be working on tractors!! LOL.

The Milwaukee M18 18V Li-Ion 3/8" Impact Wrench Friction Ring 2654-22CT is probably my favorite. A GREAT balance between size and TQ capability. It has no problem to spin of lug nuts and in working with any fastener smaller than 1/2", this thing is overkill. It also has 3 different tq settings.

Please know that we virtually NEVER use power tools for final fastening. We'll use them for removal (except where the fasteners go into aluminum) and we'll use them for initial tightening but we will use Snap-on digital TQ wrenches for all final tightening.

Milwaukee has an entire line of really great tools.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Thanks for the model numbers to search for. That's what I needed and those are indeed the kind of impact I would need. The IR was just the only thing I had found close to the specs for the pneumatic one I wish to retire. I almost never use an impact to drive a bolt or nut except on specific items that really need it. Alternator pulley nut is a good example.

The 3/8 impact you mentioned looks like a great tool. You say it usually has no trouble with removing lug nuts? Have you removed any on 3/4 ton pickups and trailers? Would be a great carry along tool for trips....

Appreciate the first hand knowledge. Prevents me from wasting money on tools that really don't do what I need.

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
As little as I use air tools, I bought mine from Harbor Freight. The 60 gallon compressor was free so I don't have a lot wrapped up in it... Tools I use often I spend money on.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Have you removed any on 3/4 ton pickups and trailers? Would be a great carry along tool for trips....

Often more lugs but typically shouldn't be much more than 110 ft-lbs each so 3/8 has easy time of them. Careful using extensions as they can nullify a lot of the effectiveness of any impact.

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
Kendall is right on with this. I had been using an air impact for the Radical hubs as they sometimes take over 300 lbs to break free. I had a cheaper battery powered unit that was supposed to be able to handle the torque, but it was barely adequate for use on the sports cars so I was skeptical. After checking out Kendall's Milwaukee, I ordered one and I have never looked back. I can change out tires and wheels all weekend and the thing has never let me down and especially enjoy not wrestling with the air hose.
:biggrin

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Just wanted to say thanks again for the recommendation. I purchased a Milwaukee M18 Fuel 1/2" impact. VERY Impressed. I will be adding more Milwaukee FUEL tools to the shop, some on my Christmas list already. I know now that when my 25 plus year old compressor dies or finally rusts out, I will not need a larger more capable one. Nope, smaller just enough for tires and detailing. I have been converted and will likely never drag an air hose under a car again. Thanks.