Rally Newbie questions (Dress Code), What to bring??

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
Last year was our first Rally and I was pleasantly surprised at how laid back it was. A few people were dressed up but it just isn't my thing. I think the most expensive thing I wore last year were my Asics tennis shoes...LOL

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
At Miller it was a helmet. No one checked the year. T-shirts & shorts were the most common.

At Laguna 2 weeks ago it was long sleeved shirt, pants, 2005 Snell helmet & fire proof gloves. I wonder if oven mitts are ok?

Ed

That is why I ask. Every place seems to have different rules, and maybe even the group has different rules than the track. I'm OK with buying gloves etc so long as I know well enough in advance.

StormCat uses fireproof golf gloves.
Funny.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
It is a standard custom at tracks for HPDE, to wear long pants, closed shoes, sometimes even a long sleeve shirt. Our track days have been far more laid back. Some have even worn shorts (don't plan on that).

The rest as others have said, its very casual

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
It is a standard custom at tracks for HPDE, to wear long pants, closed shoes, sometimes even a long sleeve shirt.

I have never understood why wearing long sleeve shirt and long pants could be considered a safety precaution ..... either you wear a fire protective suit that is documented to work in case of accident or it really doesn´t matter what you wear - long or short sleeve ......

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Doc V - you can wear any kind of dress you want - long , mid thigh, short---after all this is in Las Vegas

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I do shorts and a short sleeve shirt.Lets stay cool!Un less the track has different rules

Doctr V

GT Owner
Mar 16, 2010
Pennsylvania
Doc V - you can wear any kind of dress you want - long , mid thigh, short---after all this is in Las Vegas

LOL, sounds good... I will sort through my collection and see what still fits.... Drank a lot of beer golfing this summer... What happens there, stays there... And no pictures on youtube!!!!!!!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
... What happens there, stays there... And no pictures on youtube!!!!!!!

Ya might wanna check with Bill Bennett re: the reality of both...or lack of it...

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I laid down my motorcycle on the street & my jeans didn't protect me at all. I believe cotton long pants & long sleeve shirts would not help you at all in a crash or fire. They might even be worse for you in a fire. Just wear shorts, t-shirt & your wive's oven mitts & you'll be good! Ah, helmet is good.

Ed

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
The track is pretty liberal on attire. But, please be safety conscious for your own sake. Avoid polyester and try to stick with pure cotton. If your car has a cage the track will require a full fire-rated driving suit. Helmets required (of course). Everyone will have to have a wristband on your left wrist and they will check for wristband, helmet on, chin strap cinched and seat belts on. I'll create a thread on the track rules, etiquette, etc.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I'll create a thread on the track rules, etiquette, etc.
That's what I've been waiting for. I'm a newbie at this and don't want to show up and not have the right socks :)

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Everyone will have to have a wristband on your left wrist and they will check for wristband, .

Wristband??

Doctr V

GT Owner
Mar 16, 2010
Pennsylvania
Wristband??

I assume that will show that you signed the waiver of liability and to show that your car has been teched in some cases. Atleast thats what they do to us at the 1/4 mile tracks...

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
I assume that will show that you signed the waiver of liability and to show that your car has been teched in some cases. Atleast thats what they do to us at the 1/4 mile tracks...

Ahh ... stupid me - I thought it was the safety strap you sometimes see used when driving open cockpit cars / open window racing ....

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I agree 1000%, however I have long since given up trying to understand this or that, as to why, when it is feudal, to do so, and could be the difference of getting on the track or not. Hence, I have as a just in case brought my drivers suit, and full gear as a just in case to all of the rally's. Our events are totally lax, where some events that I have instructed at, are much less so.

I have never understood why wearing long sleeve shirt and long pants could be considered a safety precaution ..... either you wear a fire protective suit that is documented to work in case of accident or it really doesn´t matter what you wear - long or short sleeve ......

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Ahh ... stupid me - I thought it was the safety strap you sometimes see used when driving open cockpit cars / open window racing ....

That would be called an "arm restraint." I usually wear one on the left arm in a closed car.