Rally Newbie questions (Dress Code), What to bring??

Doctr V

GT Owner
Mar 16, 2010
Pennsylvania
Most of you know by now, Amy and I are attending a GT Rally for the first time next week. Whats the dress code for the evening dinners, is a sport coat advised, I have no problem bringing them but dont want to be the only boob with one on. LOL. Daytime at the car show and cruises I assume is shorts... It looks like 80's all week there. Pants and helmets I assume for racing like the other tracks Ive been to. And I assume short black dresses are fine for the wife at night...nothing major. And anything else that we need that would be crucial besides lots of money for craps at night and a bunch of Advil??? Thanks for the help.. Eric

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
People wear everything Doctr V. Stormcat will wear his formal shorts to the evening functions! LOL. I like to wear a sport coat to dinner. There are a few restaurants that will ask for business casual but often times dressy casual is what the nicer restaurants will ask for. The majority of restaurants will be casual or sporty casual. Our group is as laid back as can be! Be prepared to wear whatever you would like but be prepared to have lots of fun!!!

Ed

PS Since it's your first time you have to buy all 90 of us a drink! No kidding!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Hotel bathrobes.

Doctr V

GT Owner
Mar 16, 2010
Pennsylvania
Hotel bathrobes.

LOLLLL Oh lord this is gonna be a good trip... Thanks to you too Ed.. I will pack a couple coats..

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Casual. Except for the formal...

5D3_5657.jpg

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
5D3_5655.jpg

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

Last edited:

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Whats a sport coat?

Blue Moose

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Chandler,Arizona.
Comfort first. Style optional. Some are in shorts or jeans for the whole rally. It truly doesn't matter. There is no dress code. You'll see soon enough.
Lady moose

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
If you like to look good, you will never be overdressed. You'll just look good. Go ahead and raise the bar.

OTOH, many do not look good no matter what. At least their cars look good.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Whats a sport coat?

Yeah, I think they documented those in a history book about the 80's.

If shorts and tshirts and sandals aren't OK let me know. This is Vegas.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Wear what you are most comfortable in - but bring a helmet for the track.

I usually wear shorts most of the time, unless there is a particular event that needs something better.

Doctr V

GT Owner
Mar 16, 2010
Pennsylvania

I usually wear shorts most of the time, unless there is a particular event that needs something better.

Thanks guys. Are riders allowed on the track with me if Im not super serious or aggressive? In other words, should I bring her a helmet or skip it??

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX

Thanks guys. Are riders allowed on the track with me if Im not super serious or aggressive? In other words, should I bring her a helmet or skip it??

Drivers and passengers must wear helmets. Although I'm not sure if the 'parade' laps have different rules.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Most tracks have a dress code. Have those rules been posted yet? All require a Snell rated (year varies) helmet some tracks required long pants and closed toed shoes and maybe even a long sleeved shirt and a face wrap if you have a beard. Some also require gloves and a fire extinguisher in the cab. So precisely what are the requirements (a new track day post would be greatly appreciated)

Also what restraints - 3 point belts or 4 or me 5 point harness?

FYI at the Bondurant schools I've been at they did require long pa ts and closed shoes (no sandals or barefoot). No extinguisher

Last edited:

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Dr Frank has always said that clothing is optional when he is present.

Ed

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Most tracks have a dress code. Have those rules been posted yet? All require a Snell rated (year varies) helmet some tracks required long pants and closed toed shoes and maybe even a long sleeved shirt and a face wrap if you have a beard. Some also require gloves and a fire extinguisher in the cab. So precisely what are the requirements (a new track day post would be greatly appreciated)

Also what restraints - 3 point belts or 4 or me 5 point harness?

FYI at the Bondurant schools I've been at they did require long pa ts and closed shoes (no sandals or barefoot). No extinguisher

At Miller it was a helmet. No one checked the year. T-shirts & shorts were the most common.

At Laguna 2 weeks ago it was long sleeved shirt, pants, 2005 Snell helmet & fire proof gloves. I wonder if oven mitts are ok?

Ed

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
StormCat uses fireproof golf gloves.

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
Casual. Except for the formal...

View attachment 35429
Wow, looks like a scene straight out of Animal House "Thank you sir, may I have another." I think these guys should be on double secret probation. :facepalm::cheers

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Whats a sport coat?

Pretty sure it´s a race suit where you have cut off the bottom half .... you´ll look good in that RocketMan :wink