Track Rash Prevention

GTHunter

GT Owner
Feb 14, 2012
Houston, TX
Lately, I have noticed people applying tape to cars for track days. I was thinking of alternatives that would be just as easy and effective. I then had the idea of plasti-dip. Plasti-dip is a rubberized film in an aerosol can that is paint friendly and can be peeled off with ease. You can pick up many colors at home depot for abut 2-6 dollars per can. Has anybody tried this? Its seems to be a good option, considering you can do the wheels as well.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I would doubt it would survive on the wheels and the heat, at least on the front wheels. What about that spray clear bra stuff that someone posted about?

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Plasti-dip is awesome.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
If you have clear bra on all your leading edges you have nothing to worry about.I do however recommend that you keep a safe distance to the GT in front of you.The Venturi tunnels work like a vacuum sucking everything off the road and shoot it out the rear! If you have ever been behind a GT in the rain you know what I am talking about

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Amen to that Ron.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Amen to that Ron.

Try not to get behind me, Kevin - :lol

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
At the last event at Laguna a guy with his black ZR1 had a temporary rubber-like coating on 1/3 of his car. It is clear. He paints it on with a small roller using a few coats. He showed me at the end of the event how he peels it off in one big sheet. It was very cool. It's called Armour Proof. He says to paint on more than a few coats so it'll peel off in one piece. His black paint was fine underneath. It never came off or lifted on the edges until he took it off.

Ed

http://armourproofcoating.com/products/specialty-coatings/

Attachments

• IMG_0376.jpg
    IMG_0376.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 235

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
What Special Ed is not telling you is that he and Heidi loaded up their hot tub with the stuff, ran ropes down their throats and made themselves candles.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
ouch!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
If you have clear bra on all your leading edges you have nothing to worry about.I do however recommend that you keep a safe distance to the GT in front of you.The Venturi tunnels work like a vacuum sucking everything off the road and shoot it out the rear! If you have ever been behind a GT in the rain you know what I am talking about

I have clear bra but I think I'll still do a liberal application of tape, especially in the exit areas by the wheel wells. Not because of rocks but because of the rubber goo that gets thrown up there.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
see my recommendation for easy, fast rubber mark removal on my thread

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/s...uct-To-Remove-Track-Rubber-Marks-From-Your-GT

Ed

93extxdps

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 17, 2007
Texas
Dup.

93extxdps

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 17, 2007
Texas
image.jpg
image.jpg
Plasti dip will work as temporary paint protection.
And on wheels as brake temp will not affect it coming off when you want it to come off.
Key is to apply enough coats so it comes off as one piece.
image.jpg