Property taxes on FGTs

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Well, I got my tax bill in the mail yesterday for ownership of my FGT in 2014. It works out to almost $10,000 per year on an assessed value of $195K (I live in Fairfax County VA). I was expecting that, but still, getting a tax bill in the mail for that much raises my blood pressure thinking about just what the hell am I getting for all that tax--it sure isn't road maintenance! At this rate, I'll be paying more in tax on this car than for insurance, gas, and maintenance, and upgrades combined. In fact, the taxes on my car are almost as much as for my house in this county (yes the tax rate on real estate is much lower than for cars, boats, airplanes, etc.). :mad

So, I'm curious what typical car taxes are in other parts of the country on high-ticket cars. I know some of you do not have this particular annoyance, others maybe more or less.

DC-DD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 26, 2010
PA / FL
Would be in your best interest to get a vacation home in another state that has no tax on cars like that. Florida would be good and they also have no inspection. So no ugly stickers and no one touching your car. Also only one plate state on the rear were it belongs. You would have the place paid for in no time .

Dominic

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
That is the dumbest tax, oh wait we have Smog check/certs in Cali, never mind.

beckertb

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
Beaumont, TX
Another reason I moved to Texas.......thats absurd taxes annually on a car in a state with income taxes as well.....

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
To put things in perspective, I pay less than $10,000/year to register, maintain and insure 10 vehicles in Florida.

I'm sure Xcentric will add his perspective. You guys are nuts to live there if you have a choice.

Last edited:

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
^^^^ - pretty much like Florida out here in Arizona too except for i live in a county where you are not required to get emissions tested ever :biggrin

it costs me $639.47 to register my GT this year with the state of Arizona and every year it goes down....

Last edited:

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Emissions testing? We don't need no stinkin' emissions testing in Florida.

I think the last year for testing in Florida was 2000ish.

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
$90 to renew tabs for a year in Minnesota. (Earlier years were quite a bit more expensive).

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
My Colorado registration in Dec 2013 was $811. I'm estimating that the Nevada will be approximately the same.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Wow, about $90 here in Texas, plus $32 for emissions/safety inspection (stickers go away in Feb). No income tax. My property taxes run about $2k a year. Sales tax is 8.1% but not on food, drugs or labor.

txviper

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 31, 2007
Well that State is marked off the list of places I may end up.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
Emissions testing? We don't need no stinkin' emissions testing in Florida.

I think the last year for testing in Florida was 2000ish.

well i stand corrected then. that is awesome that a state with all that coastline is emissions free. maybe that is why?

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Title it in Montana.

shesgotlegs

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 20, 2006
Yikes :frown... I think...
In Toronto Canada ( little Russia ) we pay about $ 123 a year for a plate sticker however we pay 13% tax on everything we buy. Property taxes which include school taxes are about $10,000 net a year on average, and our mortgage payments are not tax deductable. Income tax rate is about 45% and our health care is included. Premium fuel is about $ 1.53 a litre canadian net ( $6.36 US a US gallon ).

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Title it in Montana.

That dog does not hunt so well now. Lots of horror stories.

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Would be in your best interest to get a vacation home in another state that has no tax on cars like that. Florida would be good and they also have no inspection. So no ugly stickers and no one touching your car. Also only one plate state on the rear were it belongs. You would have the place paid for in no time .

Dominic

Agreed. All my cars are registered either in Florida or Ohio. My Arizona cars are registered in Ohio due to their property tax. I am amazed that VA uses "market" value. Most states use a long-term asset initial value less depreciation, thereby reducing the tax over the life of the car. Someone should challenge that law in VA, it sucks!

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Pete, I have to say, I was waiting for your post.

Just to clarify for everyone else, this is not a Virginia state tax. It is a county tax, primarily levied in a few northern VA counties. If Pete moved one county away, he wouldn't have the personal property tax. But then he'd be in hillbilly heaven instead of what may be the wealthiest county in the country.

When I got my GT in 2012, it was assessed at $165k by Fairfax County. The 2013 assessment jumped to $185k. So, you can expect your taxes to go up for as long as GT values go up.

That is 3.59% of assessed value... every year.

For most personal property, of course, the tax bite declines each year with depreciation.

When I bought my Trailex trailer in 2013, I was faced with property tax on it. So I stored it at an enormous RV storage facility in PW County. This place was a few hundred acres of RVs, boats, cars, buses. No property tax.

I moved to Florida a few months later.

BTW, buying a vacation home won't work. It would have to be your principal home, meaning I believe, seven months of the year. And, knowing Fairfax, you'd probably be taxed for the time the car was parked in Fairfax.

You should talk to the guys at Katie's. Maybe you could become a partner in somebody's Montana LLC. LOL.

P.S. Your property tax on $195K should be $7K, unless rates went up.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
well i stand corrected then. that is awesome that a state with all that coastline is emissions free. maybe that is why?

We don't care since all the pollution blows across the Gulf and into Mexico.

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
TN $30 all in

KMCBOSS

RED GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Bremerton, Washington
WOW..............$75 for personalized plates - no smog here. Also, no income tax in Washington (state), property tax (house) ain't bad and no personal property tax.

Last edited: