Electric Door Release

SaskGT

GT Owner
Dec 24, 2013
My outside door release buttons do not work if the car is running. Work fine with the key on or off as long as the engine is not running.
Tried the deactivate/reactivate autolock feature in the owners manual. The horn chirps like it should but no difference in either the autolock activated or deactivated
positions. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Poor ground at the battery sets gremlins loose throughout the electrical systems.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

SaskGT

GT Owner
Dec 24, 2013
I did remove, clean and reassemble the ground, no change.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
My outside door release buttons do not work if the car is running. Work fine with the key on or off as long as the engine is not running.
Tried the deactivate/reactivate autolock feature in the owners manual. The horn chirps like it should but no difference in either the autolock activated or deactivated
positions. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Can it be one of those Canadian features?

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
So... if you get out of the car with the engine running, and you close the door, you are locked out?

SaskGT

GT Owner
Dec 24, 2013
So... if you get out of the car with the engine running, and you close the door, you are locked out?

Yes, I only did it once, now carry extra key and shut it off before I get out.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
It sounds like a problem with the autolock system, which is only activated when the car is started.

The diagnostic test in the manual of the SJB is more than I would attempt.

Just deduction on my part after reading the shop manual.

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
...likely another aging car issue. more of what's in store.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
It's normal - the car locks if the engine is running.

A year or so, I started mine (up on jack stands) and got out check some engine parameters. Windows was closed, and I couldn't get back in to shut it down, even with spare key fob. Finally pulled some wires and shut down the engine. I could then open it with the spare key.

Lesson learned - if you get out of the car with the engine running - LEAVE A WINDOW OPEN!!!!!!

Last edited:

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Ralphie - this post intrigued me as well. Ryan and I tried it with a GT in the garage. With the engine running (and Ryan sitting in the car) I could still operate the external electric door latches. Weird.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Ralphie - this post intrigued me as well. Ryan and I tried it with a GT in the garage. With the engine running (and Ryan sitting in the car) I could still operate the external electric door latches. Weird.

I know - but it did happen - clamshell was up too, I couldn't figure it out. I was in gear with the hubs turning.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I could be like with many other cars he doors will lock if the car is in "motion." Like Ralphie's was with the wheels turning.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I could be like with many other cars he doors will lock if the car is in "motion." Like Ralphie's was with the wheels turning.

Yes, that is how autolock works. It gets a signal from the VSS. One step of the diagnostic test for the door locks checks the VSS signal to the SJB.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
If you read the owner's manual, you can shut off the autolock feature. This was one of the first things I did when I picked up my car.