GTX-1 build question

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
Does anyone here have any info on the build process of the GTX-1? what I am looking for is info on the chassis of the car. was there any structural changes or modifications to the chassis during the build process? does cutting the roof off really hurt the overall integrity of the body ? I'm guessing it probably doesn't as it would in most other cars where the roof is a structural component any info would be appreciated. thanks

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Kip is not answering his phone?

Bernard Guerin knows the X1 inside and out. Contact info on his website. http://www.guerin-design.com/index.html

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Cutting the roof off isn't going to help the integrity any. The only question is how much worst is it, is it significant.

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
I can possibly see getting a windshield shake similar to a convertible (the old days). I don't think it would weaken the overall integrity of the car or the chassis. just finished up my other GT project car. looking to do something different with this car I just got in that needs paint anyways and some minor body work.

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
Rich & Dennis could probably help also. They've taken enough of them apart. From my experience there is a plate under both of the seats, and also a billet aluminum plate in the "w" panel. I've taken the car on the track and the mile events. No windshield shake.

beckertb

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
Beaumont, TX
I can say, too, that I am quite pleasantly surprised about the lack of windshield shake or creaking over uneven surfaces of the gtx1. I dare say it is the most rigid car I have ever owned without a top by far--factory efforts included.

ben

As I recall, the reason the windshield pillars are so thick is because the door cutouts in the roof required it for torsional rigidity. If that's true, removing the roof can only have bad results if the remainder of the frame is not strengthened somehow.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
30%.

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
yep I forgot about all those little mods that were done to the fox body ragtops. they sure did have the shakes when they were done! we did the SAAC Mustang project
and did some convertibles with stiffened up suspension. those were a real treat!

doogie48084

Mar 21, 2007
Taylor Michigan
Rich and Denis fo The GT Guys would know, as well as Bernard, But Carbuilder girl as seen in the video is another source. She was at Sema demonstrating the Floor panel that was added for support. It was a carbon fiber honeycomb unit.

kjslider

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 1, 2006
socal

That's good

kjslider

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 1, 2006
socal
Isn't it?

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Scott, The Gtguys have taken over the reigns on the gtx. There is a video of a healthy blonde and a sawzall........Take aspirin before watching and make sure you had your hernia operation before going through the whole show. Dbk is right, its about 30 %, the chassis was stiffened with extra frame rails and bars under the car for less flex and more rigidity.
GTJOEY