Rumor

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
Didn't GM/Chevy just spend umpteen millions on new Vette achitecture? GM may not owe $$ on the old bonds, but they can't be pissing away crazy $$ on a car that will sell, what 5-15,000 units?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
"Mid-engine Corvette is a go"

Yaaaaaawn...ya, ya, ya...that's what we were told back in 1970, too.

'Probably every bit as accurate a statement today as it was back then... :bored

Even if it does happen, it won't be a 'done deal' for several Y-E-A-R-S down the road yet.

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
It's not a rumor.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I'll buy one. They could probably get 15,000 pre-orders today.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
If Chevy does this then the persistent rumor of a new mid-engine Ford would suddenly have some credibility. Any word on what model year? The Ford rumor I heard was for 2016 which would mean we'd see leaked photos, perhaps press releases and cars at the major automotive trade shows. If something from Ford doesn't show up at the next SEMA then I think it is still just a rumor.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
It's not a rumor.

Serious?

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Didn't GM/Chevy just spend umpteen millions on new Vette achitecture? GM may not owe $$ on the old bonds, but they can't be pissing away crazy $$ on a car that will sell, what 5-15,000 units?

Pissing away $$ at GM?? How about $4B to tool/launch a 'new Silverado', followed by lethargic receptivity/sales, followed by criticism of Ford's direction to aluminum, followed by a subsequent announcement of a new direction for GM trucks to aluminum (about $6B). Vette's would get lost in the rounding.

In the retail world, a 'mid-engine' Vette is the perfect car to compete with................. itself.

The only reason to build it, is to race it. e.g. a homologation vehicle for a 2016/17 LeMans when they change/consolidate eligibility for the (LMP2?) class.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
The only reason to build it, is to race it. e.g. a homologation vehicle for a 2016/17 LeMans when they change/consolidate eligibility for the (LMP2?) class.

That is also my speculation about a new Ford mid engine. The available market could never again justify a from scratch design and tooling, but to make enough to qualify for whatever FIA class they will participate in could justify. Remember, the "street" Cobras and GT40's were relatively small in number just enough to meet the requirements.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
It is my understanding the C7 Zo6 will be the top of the Corvette line and the ZR1 will be the mid engine and wont carry the Corvette badge. However this is a few months old so who knows.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Not sure why it took any manufacturer to figure this out. Dodge produces their halo Viper with 640 Hp and gets nailed, then they come out with the Hellcat.

My kids may as well be running these companies.

And btw GM F up the new Escalade so badly I went with the GL550.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
And btw GM F up the new Escalade so badly I went with the GL550.

No sh!t......the Escalade front is nothing but a rip-off of a Mac Truck. Hideous.

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas

You should know Dave by now when he responds like that......especially about car stuff. :)

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
You should know Dave by now when he responds like that......especially about car stuff. :)

+1

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida

Very true. I was just trying to bait him into posting a picture of the test mule. :lol

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Very true. I was just trying to bait him into posting a picture of the test mule. :lol
I vote for that!

GT Venum

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 4, 2010
Wisconsin
Zr1

ZR1.jpg

Is this the new ZR1?

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
So will the upshot of winning Motor City Masters be Camilo designing the C8/Zora ZR1??

ht0kcznapcj5oh6zbq7w.jpg

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
That would be great, but politics at GM probably won't let that happen.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
So will the upshot of winning Motor City Masters be Camilo designing the C8/Zora ZR1??

No, he has nothing to do with it. I'm assuming this car has been virtually complete from a design standpoint for a long time. I knew they were hammering out the design at least as far back as 2011, and I'd guess farther than that.