Rumor

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
http://jalopnik.com/heres-chevys-plan-for-the-mid-engined-2017-corvette-zor-1633072245

GM’s head of global product development, Mark Reuss, confirms that the company is working on the next Corvette. Our sources elaborate on this salient piece of information, telling us that, after 61 years of evolution, the C8 will be revolutionary.

The new Corvette will be the mid-engined American Dream Machine that Chevy couldn’t, until now, muster the courage to build. In truth, the factory is still not prepared to detail what’s coming, which is why you’re looking at the 2017 model year through our freshly waxed crystal ball.

THE PLAN: The C8 flagship, the Zora ZR1, will debut the new mid-engine architecture. Launching as a 2017 model, it will define the top of the Corvette hierarchy just as its precursors did in 1990-1995 C4 generation and 2009-2013 C6 model years. As before, the ZR1 will be low volume, roughly 1500 units per annum, and high priced. We figure around $150,000.

Attachments

• a6cb0zofnzjqtkspybrd.jpg
    a6cb0zofnzjqtkspybrd.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 317

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I hope it doesn't look like an Evora with GTR taillights.

Chris A.

GT #32
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2007
Ortega Mountain, CA
Yuck....if that's the current design direction they better get Camilo cracking!

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Hmmm. Looks Cadillac.

partssmann

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 1, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
Camilo's Next Project

Like I have been saying, hope Camilo gets a shoot at the design of the Corvette to elevate it to supercar status. See October Car & Driver article.

Attachments

• ht0kcznapcj5oh6zbq7w.jpg
    ht0kcznapcj5oh6zbq7w.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 291
Last edited:

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Not to mention the rest of the rear fascia and exhaust tip arrangement...also GT-Rish.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Put Darby on it.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
That would be great, but politics at GM probably won't let that happen.

Well, all I can tell ya is I was called by a certain VERY high volume 'Vette dealer back East a couple days ago, and I was told the mid-engine car is for real and will likely be here in 2 to 3 years (based on this-and-that, blah, blah, blah). 'Was also told the present C7 chassis was designed from the get-go to accept a mid-engine configuation 'down the road'...so there you go.

This gentleman couldn't shed any light on what would/might be under the car's 'rear deck lid' though.

Edit: BTW, he also said the word is it'll "sticker" for around $150K...but, based on the fact our FGTs stickered for more than that back in '06, I be thinkin' it'll sticker somewhere North of $150K. A "sticker" of $165/$170 would seem to me to be more like it these days...but, who knows just what will be included in its list of std equipment? That would be a large factor.

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I meant I would be surprised if GM allowed Camilo to design the next Vette. He would do a kick ass job, but many others already working there are going to be pissed big time when a reality star got the "star" job.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
I meant I would be surprised if GM allowed Camilo to design the next Vette. He would do a kick ass job, but many others already working there are going to be pissed big time when a reality star got the "star" job.

Obviously, Camilo is more than a 'reality star' with 20+ years at Ford. You may remove foot from mouth now, Clinton;)

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Obviously, Camilo is more than a 'reality star' with 20+ years at Ford. You may remove foot from mouth now, Clinton;)

That was the one thing that was never mentioned on the show.

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
More exposure: http://jalopnik.com/heres-chevys-pl...d-2017-corvette-zor-1633072245/+matthardigree

I find it interesting (but somehow doesn't look finished from a design perspective), interesting if GM goes midengined with the corvette. Judging this and the actual model I can only applaud them progressing so fast.

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
I bought a 2014 C7 coupe (z51), yellow, black wheels. It is my daily driver and one of the best cars I have ever owned. I've never owned a Vette before. If this car is real. I will take one, maybe two.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
So will the upshot of winning Motor City Masters be Camilo designing the C8/Zora ZR1??

ht0kcznapcj5oh6zbq7w.jpg

http://jalopnik.com/heres-chevys-plan-for-the-mid-engined-2017-corvette-zor-1633072245

GM’s head of global product development, Mark Reuss, confirms that the company is working on the next Corvette. Our sources elaborate on this salient piece of information, telling us that, after 61 years of evolution, the C8 will be revolutionary.

The new Corvette will be the mid-engined American Dream Machine that Chevy couldn’t, until now, muster the courage to build. In truth, the factory is still not prepared to detail what’s coming, which is why you’re looking at the 2017 model year through our freshly waxed crystal ball.

THE PLAN: The C8 flagship, the Zora ZR1, will debut the new mid-engine architecture. Launching as a 2017 model, it will define the top of the Corvette hierarchy just as its precursors did in 1990-1995 C4 generation and 2009-2013 C6 model years. As before, the ZR1 will be low volume, roughly 1500 units per annum, and high priced. We figure around $150,000.

This Red car in the Car and Driver mag is Camilo's design.. He did it for the magazine. His design for this article won over two other well known car designers !! The other two guys were responsible for the Enzo and the Mc F-1. I'd say he beat some pretty good designers. I like it!!

Last edited:

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
That was the one thing that was never mentioned on the show.

Uh....the TRUtv show was sponsored by GM.
So why would you expect them to tout Camilo's Ford design experience?
Does not fit the "narrative" as they say.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California

I also had similar thoughts when I saw it. Even a similar sounding name.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
FWIW they did change the proportions for that thing on the cover. They wanted taller height and shorter length vs the actual sketch proportions. Whenever Camilo does this stuff for magazines, which he's been doing quite frequently, they usually have some input on the final cut.

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
FWIW they did change the proportions for that thing on the cover. They wanted taller height and shorter length vs the actual sketch proportions. Whenever Camilo does this stuff for magazines, which he's been doing quite frequently, they usually have some input on the final cut.

Public Service Announcement, Dave knows everything! Please continue with your day.

Vince H

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Dave knows he knows everything, that's what makes him so insufferable. LOL!:lol

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Dave knows he knows everything, that's what makes him so insufferable. LOL!:lol

I see how it is. Since we're not sharing romantic wine country suites with hot tubs any more, now I'm insufferable?