Gt350r

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Does anyone in our forum own, of have access to a GT350R? I'm starting on a track-only 65 tribute car and would love to have access to the real thing so I can verify details, etc. The plan is to run it in SVRA or similar vintage events. My favorite has to be the second protoype that Ken Miles drove so sucessfully. Its especially cool because of the Terlingua Racing decals!

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Sounds like a great project. Good luck and post some pictures.

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Yes, great project. I have been racing and building vintage Mustang race cars for 8 years now and would be happy to share my knowledge and experience - so do not hesitate to ask.

In the beginning I used Cobra Automotive in Wallingford, CT a lot - and still buy special parts from them from time to time - but must also say that it is my experience that building the strong performing Mustang these days can take two quite different roads ..... going for the true "as they were raced back then" setup OR maximizing performance with todays performance knowledge and parts.

We also did a full ground up resto of SFM6S006 - one of the very first "Carryover" cars - and have lots of pics. from then.

Many US built and raced Mustangs are really not true to the original FIA homologation - but are more just look a likes, running way stronger engines, lighter clutches, modified transmissions, lighter materials etc.

Good luck with the project :thumbsup

:cheers
Anders

Last edited:

KennethClay

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 15, 2012
New York
A friend of mine has a late 1965 build, titled 1966 GT 350R. He's not on this forum, but he'd probably respond to you. Feel free to PM me your contact info, and I can pass it along.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
We had the GT350R #02 raced by Jerry Titus at Keels & Wheels in Seabrook, Texas in May. It was totally restored in Tulsa, Oklahoma by Jim Wick and I think the car is being stored there. I can get you with Jim if desired, PM me. This vehicle was the national championship GT350 and our 65 GT350 #108 raced against it at Green Valley, Texas in the 60's

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 779

GT35065

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sounds like a cool project. I've thought about converting my clone to GT350R specs, but I think it would be a huge undertaking and I don't track the car, but I love the look. Probably be better off starting from scratch. My license plate is GT350R, but that doesn't count. If you do it I would be interested in the process too.

Attachments

• get-attachment (4) gt350.jpg
    get-attachment (4) gt350.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 769

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Check these out GT350R #108 in race mode. Enjoy Texas Mongrel.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 777

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Additional pictures

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 788
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    361.4 KB · Views: 798

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Love the Pictures of #108 Tomy. Any interior or engine pics?

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Sorry, I don't have any of #108 but have a few of #102 Titus Car. Enjoy

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 733
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 771
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 800
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 772
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 769

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
PM sent.

GT35065

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
THamon, your vintage pictures are outstanding.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Tommy, number 98 is the exact car I'd like to build! I can't believe I didn't go to Keels and Wheels this year so missed it. I've been back and forth on the restomod versus original issue, and decided it has to be a balls-on replica of the car as it was back in the day so I can have the real experience on the track. Should be a fun build, maybe I can pick your brains from time to time?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV

I hope the contact I sent you can help. I didn't want to put his name here because the last time I saw him he was thinking of winding down. But his son is probably still at it. In any case if they agree to help then feel free to post up a pointer to him. I see him every year at the Shelby American Collection fundraiser in Boulder.

Good Luck!

donnymac

Defered Ajudication
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 26, 2008
West Texas
Tommy cool pics! What is the story on the Mexico car?

The 17 tribute car was built by a guy back east who did a really good job. We have done a little running gear work to it and it needs some suspension work still yet.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 316
Last edited:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
We're you able to contact the guy I sent in the pm?

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Donnymac, Sorry I didn't post sooner but I was on a Dove Hunt in S. Texas last weekend. Number 108 GT350R was sold to my Father by Carroll Shelby on 9/11-65 and raced about 6 months throughout the Southwest. In 2/1966 it was driven by Pedro Rodriguez in the Polar Gran Prix at Green Valley, Dallas, Texas and beat Factory Team Car 5R002 driven by Jerry Titus who Nat. Champion. We sold R108 shortly thereafter to Freddy VanBuren (Mexico, City) in 1966 and raced extensively in the USA and S. America and Mexico and was painted in the Mexico colors of White, Red and Green. This car became quite famous after beating the National Champion Titus. Titus told Shelby he would never come back to Texas and race. Today his Son Rick Titus and I are very close friends. Rick Titus will be at our Ralley 9 in Las Vegas telling lots of stories about he and his Dads racing career. Great Guy. Thats the story of the Mexico Car GT350R # 108. Hope I'm not boring anyone, as it was a very fun time in the Hamon History.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
We're you able to contact the guy I sent in the pm?

Tony, yes, I contacted them but due to poor health they are out of the business. Too bad, he was a legend in the GT350R storybook.

I've ended up dealing with Jim Crowle at Shelby Parts and Restoration in Wyoming. Jim has been really helpful and is supplying most of the parts I'll need for the build. Oh, and my clone will no longer be of 5R002, but of Tomy's Dad's car, 5R108. - will be cool to have "Gene Hamon Ford, Texas City, Texas" written diwn the side of the car!

donnymac

Defered Ajudication
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 26, 2008
West Texas
Donnymac, Sorry I didn't post sooner but I was on a Dove Hunt in S. Texas last weekend. Number 108 GT350R was sold to my Father by Carroll Shelby on 9/11-65 and raced about 6 months throughout the Southwest. In 2/1966 it was driven by Pedro Rodriguez in the Polar Gran Prix at Green Valley, Dallas, Texas and beat Factory Team Car 5R002 driven by Jerry Titus who Nat. Champion. We sold R108 shortly thereafter to Freddy VanBuren (Mexico, City) in 1966 and raced extensively in the USA and S. America and Mexico and was painted in the Mexico colors of White, Red and Green. This car became quite famous after beating the National Champion Titus. Titus told Shelby he would never come back to Texas and race. Today his Son Rick Titus and I are very close friends. Rick Titus will be at our Ralley 9 in Las Vegas telling lots of stories about he and his Dads racing career. Great Guy. Thats the story of the Mexico Car GT350R # 108. Hope I'm not boring anyone, as it was a very fun time in the Hamon History.

Thanks so much for the info and very cool that you were in the middle of it all. I would like to buy you a beer one day and hear more. Wish I could make the Rally but impossible as October is jam packed with obligations.
White Wings or Mourning dove? Either way, S Tex is hard to beat!
Thanks again. Much appreciated.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
An eagle-eyed person spotted my "deliberate" mistakes; its Jim Cowles not Crowle, and he's in Wisconsin, not Wyoming. There's way too many states that begin with a W! And, SPR have been great to deal with so aplogies for my cock-up!