Gt350r

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Gene Hamon GT350R

I've posted this on the Shelby Forum, but thought folk might be interested here too. After about 20 months, my GT350R Tribute SVRA car is almost finished. Here's a picture of it in the shop next to the GT. Now just waiting on the motor and I'll be off to the races. The car is a copy of 5R108 before it became the 'Mexican Flag car' and its livery etc is exactly as it was when Tomy's Dad, Gene Hamon, owned it and it kicked Titus's ass at Green Valley back in the day with Pedro Rodriguez at the wheel.
I've done everything on this car (except the engine), including all paint and bodywork, it's come out really nicely and I can't wait to get it on the track. I didn't build the motor but trusted it to Judson Massengil here in Houston. He is a multi-times winner of the Engine Masters Challenge and is telling me that I can expect 550HP from the 302, which, considering it has to be rule-compliant with iron heads, low-rise manifold and single Holley, is pretty damn impressive. I've also included a picture of the car on the day I received it from my "so-called Friend" Tugboat (thanks Larry - you did warn me that it was rusty!)

Attachments

• 93 overview.jpg
    93 overview.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 359
  • 2 stripped.jpg
    2 stripped.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 421

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Beautiful car David!!!
Well done.

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
Last time I saw it there where no wheels. Looks awesome and even better in person!

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
David,

YOU ARE AN ARTIST!!!!

Thugboat

mccarter1369

Ford Enthusiast
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 18, 2006
Denver, CO
We just finished restoration of 5R530 in 2014/2015; received concours gold at SAAC-40 this last summer. Happy to provide info if still needed/wanted.

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
Congratulations Dave! I know there are many hours of sweat, skinned knuckles and love that are invested in this car. Looking forward to more pics when it is all together, and more showing it on the track.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Incredible! Nicely done, David! We need to have a Houston get together just to stare at that car.

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Great project and results Dave.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Incredible! Nicely done, David! We need to have a Houston get together just to stare at that car.

I'll organise a "crank that mutha up" party once the engine is in the car

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Well done, looks fantastic! Any idea how many hours you have into it?

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Well done, looks fantastic! Any idea how many hours you have into it?

About 1500. The entire back half of the car was rusted out and had to be replaced. One of the big jobs was raising up the rear fender lips by 2", lots of tedious cutting and welding

kosupply

GT Owner/Board of Directors
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 27, 2006
Houston
Does anyone have access to a 2016 GT350R?

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
Kevin,

Everyone is waiting to get their hands on one. I had a line on a GT350 w/track pack yesterday at Baytown Ford for 2K over sticker. Drug my feet and missed it.
Lets get together soon. I will be at MSR off and on this weekend.

Larry Boatner

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Well, after 26 months of on-and-off work, I drove my 350R tribute for the first time last week. I originally thought that, even though it's built for vintage racing, I'd be able to drive it on the street too. Fat chance! The heavy-duty clutch is like an on/off switch, the unboosted brakes are pretty hopeless, and the steering is unbelievably heavy. Sounds good though, even with glasspacks, 533HP make a lot of noise!
Pictures attached, as some may remember, the car is a tribute to 5R108 as it was originally delivered and campaigned by Tomy's Dad, Gene Hamon. It later went on to become the Mexican Flag car. It sold at Monterey this year for $675,000. By doing all the work myself, including body and paint, I've got less than 10% of that sum invested. Can't wait to get it on the track! (one "before" picture included)

Attachments

• 1 arrival day.jpg
    1 arrival day.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 299
  • 120 finished car.jpg
    120 finished car.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 295
  • 122 finished car.jpg
    122 finished car.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 283
  • 117 finished car.jpg
    117 finished car.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 278
  • 119 finished car.jpg
    119 finished car.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 273
  • 118 finished car.jpg
    118 finished car.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 276
  • 116 finished car.jpg
    116 finished car.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 279

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
Wowzer Dave, it really looks good. Your description of driving it brought back my 427 Cobra memories. I remember the night I bought it I was driving home, mid June and thought my sneaker soles were going to melt! The footbox had minimal insulation and aluminum is a great conductor, hence a lot of discomfort but it was worth getting used to until I spent more time trying to fix problems than driving it. Yours sounds like fun. Are you going to register it and if so what are you thinking of for vanity plates? Tex Mex??

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Tea Bag would probably be closer.

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Great looking car.

The seats look like the description of your clutch ... I guess 100% popometer feeling, right ?

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Nice work Dave, vey impressive.:thumbsup

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Wowzer Dave, it really looks good. Your description of driving it brought back my 427 Cobra memories. I remember the night I bought it I was driving home, mid June and thought my sneaker soles were going to melt! The footbox had minimal insulation and aluminum is a great conductor, hence a lot of discomfort but it was worth getting used to until I spent more time trying to fix problems than driving it. Yours sounds like fun. Are you going to register it and if so what are you thinking of for vanity plates? Tex Mex??
Got a set of original 1965 Texas plates, and will reigister it as a 'historic vehicle' so I don't need to get it inspected.
Brombear, the seats are from the same supplier to Shelby back in '65. Its amazing how many of the original suppliers are still around; seats, rear window, oil pan, etc.

digman1

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 8, 2007
Dallas Texas
Great job on the Hamon Ford recreation. It looks ready for the track. Really enjoyed hearing about it in Austin !

I went to several years of racing at Green Valley Raceway outside Dallas, and bet I saw the original race back then. I was part of the Amalie Racing Oil sponsored Mustang Team,with Freddie Van Buren driving.

Those were the glory days of racing.

Attachments

• d.jpg
    d.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 214
  • scan0024.jpg
    scan0024.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 244
  • h.jpg
    h.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 223