Something wrong with viewed topics

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I'm an avid user of the "New Posts" link/button on all forums I view. This one behaves strangely, and I don't think it always did so.

When using the New Posts function you get a list of topics that you haven't read yet. If you have read a topic since the last time you "Mark Forums Read" the title of the topic is plain. If it has something you haven't read yet, there is a little circle (my screen resolution makes it hard to read, but I think it is two down pointing arrows). If you click on that it takes you to the first unread topic on whatever page of replies it is at. Very handy for just reading new stuff...

Here's what happens.

If I click on the new reply indicator I do get to the first unread topic. I can then use the back arrow to go back to the new topic list. The indicator will still be dark, but if I refresh it goes away.

However, here's where things deviate. For as long as I'm in my session the read topics and I refresh it is correct. However, if I visit again it seems to forget that I've viewed them individually and puts up the new topic indicator next to all the topics since the last time I did "mark forums read".

I'd first noticed this when I read on my Samsung (I don't use tapatalk, just the regular mobile browser, don't try to teach me new tricks). If I read them on the phone and then go back to the desktop I still see them as unread. It also happens if I exit the desktop and return.

At first I thought it might be windows rot and browser settings, but I just got a brand spanking new Thinkpad T540p, logged in for the first time, and see the same behaviour so I consider that I've "reinstalled windows" (which is always everyone's first suggestion.)

The seen/unseen mismatch also occurs between multiple desktop systems so it's not mobile related.

Maybe the mods can take a look at the "memory" function on the forum. I think some forum software doesn't keep state within a session but can be told to do so...

I also remember this working at one point and like I said, I wrote it off as software rot.

Cheers,
Tony

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Tony -

It works a lot better in Google "Chrome"...

There seem to be a lot of issues with Explorer - and I use Version: 11.9600.17207

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Tony -

It works a lot better in Google "Chrome"...

There seem to be a lot of issues with Explorer - and I use Version: 11.9600.17207

I use Firefox for 99.9% of everything. I use explorer for some work email client stuff. But it happens on android platforms (my phone and tablet) too, so I don't think it is browser dependent.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Seems like every time there is a vBulletin update, something doesn't work right and/or some functionality is lost. Remember when we could upload four photos at one time? Where did that go? Internet Explorer is almost useless on this forum. I'm not blaming Microsoft for everything, because IE generally works ok...but not here.

Since Tony's issue is cross-platform, that would point to vBulletin rather than one browser or another.