Question for the GT Experts

StormBringer

Jul 18, 2014
Greenwich & Malibu
Are there color and option combos that are more collectible than others? Layered with that question is one about factory options....are there delete options that are more collectible than others. When the orders were first being taken at Griffin Ford I was talking with the VP there. There really were no second thoughts on the order... a red(IV) and black(II) GT were ordered with all four options. I guess I raise the question because the way some GT's are advertised with delete stripe or other deleted options.

You can see what I'm getting at with this GT which I will be taking a look at tomorrow. Serial number ending in 40 and only one option. I do not see the added value in deleted options.

http://www.mecum.com/lot-detail.cfm...emv&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=CA0814-S120

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Heritage cars are worth MORE with all the options. I would say 9.9 out of 10 customers that inquire to us about a heritage prefer to have all available options (Mac, wheels, calipers). Only DELETED option I would say could actually add value would be a car without the stripes. A black car with no stripes is typically worth a little more than one with.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
The only delete option is side stripes. Which are tape. Peel them off if you don't like them. Add them back if you change your mind.

Everything else is a matter of taste.

Most colors look good with the painted stripes option. Except for black.

I guess I don't even understand the premise of "collectible."

Who can explain the current value of the Heritage paint? It's just paint. No heritage. Not my favorite, but congrats to those who are profiting from it. Except, condolences on your loss of a GT if you sell it.

Last edited:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
It will be difficult to sort out how options (or lack thereof) affect the price of a Heritage car. The delivery miles factor will be a bigger impact. I would expect $350K or more.

For other colors, I think a black/stripe delete car would in fact get a premium over a striped car. I think there are possibly other combinations that look better without the stripe. On the other hand, my personal opinion is that the yellow cars should have the black stripe and that a no stripe would hurt it all other things being equal.

I think the BBS wheels definitely add. Painted calipers not so much. And I don't think the Mcintosh radio would matter to most people who drive the car - you can't hear it over the exhaust anyway.

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Midnight Blue without stripes looks good as well.
But, I feel that way because that's what I have.
Best.
Mark

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Why does the Mecom ad have a disclaimer that the vehicle cannot be registered on CA?

bret a ewing

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
I would have been happier without the Mac. Center speaker looks terrible and coulda used the extra storage.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
^^^ Agree, although the mac sounds great in my garage, which is the only place it has ever been played.

And, another point of view on wheels. While I love the optional wheels, I think I love the base wheels more, because I think they suit the retro-muscle look of the GT better. I would want the base wheels on a Heritage, and I'd paint the spokes orange, which I think really works well (like Dino's ex-Heritage). Painting the optional wheels orange doesn't work for me.

5D3_2318.jpg

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I do not see the added value in deleted options.

The only "added value" a deleted options car may have for some lies in its relative rarity. 'Not important to most.

Speaking for my own darned self, the only 'option delete car' I'd pay anything extra for (all other things being equal) is one w/o a MAC. :willy

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
Canadian cars did not come with MACs. I believe to save weight. And we gained some storage space with out it.
As for stripes in most cases IMHO stripes really do add to the car. For sure on the black ones as the black winning car at Lemans in 1966 had stripes !!:biggrin:wink

B. West

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2012
Irvine, CA
I was fortunate to find my car exactly the way I wanted it (Red, stripes, red calipers, no mac, and base wheels). Although I do plan to get an optional set of wheels at some point, I prefer the base wheels as it resembles the concept and looks more classic to me. Other than that, there are no other options I would want that I don't have. The mac radio sounds great but looks horrible IMO in addition to the bulbous speaker decreasing visibility and view of the gorgeous engine bay. I think as we move forward, it is all individual preference. My experience in insurance (9 years in claims and licensed agent for 10 years), the options from an insurance standpoint will add very little value to the base car. Wheels are wheels and necessary for the car to function. A radio is a radio, and the rest is cosmetic. I could get into a whole other discussion on how the insurance companies arrive at values but let's reserve that.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Canadian cars did not come with MACs. I believe to save weight. And we gained some storage space with out it.

As for stripes in most cases IMHO stripes really do add to the car. For sure on the black ones as the black winning car at Lemans in 1966 had stripes !!:biggrin:wink

while you saved weight with the mac removal - you lost it with the "safety" bumper extension

re: xcentric comments on Blk w stripe, I prefer it over the candy cane red w white................

bret a ewing

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
The only way a non-stripe optioned car would be universally more valuable is if it were the only non-stripe car. As in the '97 Viper RT-10 painted solid Viper Blue.......only one ever built. The rest of the batch (52) all had white stripes. Because stripes just look a whole lot better and folks ordered them that way.
IMHO of course......:wink

Last edited:

550rwhp

GT Owner
Nov 6, 2012
North of Dallas, Texas
Personally, I think red cars are the fastest and look the best.

I am not a fan of the mac, but thanks to Shelby, the Mac relocation kit (the GT Guys have one too) rocks and really opened the car’s interior up.

My car is a red stripe delete, but I put flat black vinyl stripes on it.

Honestly, I would take any FGT out there.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
re: xcentric comments on Blk w stripe, I prefer it over the candy cane red w white................

The cool thing is, everyone who has a GT believes their color is the best. It all works out.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
The cool thing is, everyone who has a GT believes their color is the best. It all works out.

I disagree - I like all the colors! :thumbsup

I wish I could afford to have one of each...

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
while you saved weight with the mac removal - you lost it with the "safety" bumper extension

Yes but I took that off within the first week of ownership. Hell otherwise it looks like a luggage rack from some other British car!!

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I was fortunate to find my car exactly the way I wanted it (Red, stripes, red calipers, no mac, and base wheels). Although I do plan to get an optional set of wheels at some point, I prefer the base wheels as it resembles the concept and looks more classic to me. Other than that, there are no other options I would want that I don't have. The mac radio sounds great but looks horrible IMO in addition to the bulbous speaker decreasing visibility and view of the gorgeous engine bay. I think as we move forward, it is all individual preference. My experience in insurance (9 years in claims and licensed agent for 10 years), the options from an insurance standpoint will add very little value to the base car. Wheels are wheels and necessary for the car to function. A radio is a radio, and the rest is cosmetic. I could get into a whole other discussion on how the insurance companies arrive at values but let's reserve that.

Here is the mac relocate mod.Its excellent! Specracer did mine for me!
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/s...-delete-for-us-newbies?highlight=mac+relocate

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
The downside of the relocate being loss of a significant amount of the minimal storage space we have. That being the reason why I haven't installed the relocate kit sitting in my garage for the past few years.

I think I'm building myself up to the mac delete instead of relocate. Just get rid of it. Seriously, does anybody listen to it while driving? Which leads me to think about pulling the head unit out and using that space for a storage cubby. Yeah. If I ever need tunes, news, radio, whatever, I have a smartphone that does all that.

Which makes me wonder why anyone would consider the McIntosh option to be value added. It's a $4,500 negative the way I see it.

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
The downside of the relocate being loss of a significant amount of the minimal storage space we have. That being the reason why I haven't installed the relocate kit sitting in my garage for the past few years.

I think I'm building myself up to the mac delete instead of relocate. Just get rid of it. Seriously, does anybody listen to it while driving? Which leads me to think about pulling the head unit out and using that space for a storage cubby. Yeah. If I ever need tunes, news, radio, whatever, I have a smartphone that does all that.

Which makes me wonder why anyone would consider the McIntosh option to be value added. It's a $4,500 negative the way I see it.

:agree: