Detailer for rally 9

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I know how to wash my car. Is that all these guys at the Rally do? Washing is not detailing. If these guys are washing and calling it detailing, then I don't need it. I need a detailer for...detailing...not washing.

Just trying to understand what is being offered here. Is it a detailer for Rally 9, or a car washer for Rally 9?

Maybe if these guys posted their services it would help. You're going to wash my car and call it detailing? No thanks. You're going to bring six grades of polishes and buffers and get rid of all swirls and make my paint look a foot deep? Ok...that's some detailing I'd pay for.

If I have effed up my car by washing it, then nobody in the world is going to improve it by somehow magically washing it without touching it.

Last edited:

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Not to derail this thread any further as most probably don't give a sh*t, but a true 'detailer' washes cars, but not all car washers are 'detailers'. No one is looking for a wash, decon, 3 step paint correction and LSP at the Rally (well, maybe Vince;)). But they know how to wash a car and minimize the marring associated with it. Three buckets (one for wheels, two for paint), soft clean mitt, proper technique (wash top down), forced air or soft waffle microfibers to dry, none of this waterless BS. Sound simple? It is. But I'd venture to guess one out of every 100 'car washer' knows what 2 bucket technique is much less use it. A true 'detailer' lives by it.
That's my last contribution to this discussion.

If Terry's guy can do the above, I'm all for it and happily pay him for it. Otherwise, I'll just find my own.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
http://www.detailingspot.com/?page_id=15

How about using a foam gun?

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
Not to derail this thread any further as most probably don't give a sh*t, but a true 'detailer' washes cars, but not all car washers are 'detailers'. No one is looking for a wash, decon, 3 step paint correction and LSP at the Rally (well, maybe Vince;)). But they know how to wash a car and minimize the marring associated with it. Three buckets (one for wheels, two for paint), soft clean mitt, proper technique (wash top down), forced air or soft waffle microfibers to dry, none of this waterless BS. Sound simple? It is. But I'd venture to guess one out of every 100 'car washer' knows what 2 bucket technique is much less use it. A true 'detailer' lives by it.
That's my last contribution to this discussion.

If Terry's guy can do the above, I'm all for it and happily pay him for it. Otherwise, I'll just find my own.

My sentiments exactly. Full stop.

Vince H

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
A real full detail job of the painted surfaces, wheels, cleaning interior, and the engine compartment will take hours to do. Heck I washed mine today (drove through a little rainstorm on the way home) and that took me almost an hour.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Tony
I want to book washings at your house ! Please put me first on the list!
Thanks

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007

"Go ahead - Make My Day!"

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...=aps&hvadid=3527171869&ref=pd_sl_7235lm9afh_e

I have a Gilmore I don't know which model. No recoil compared to my 44 mag.

41O0f66DVKL._SP160,160,0,T_.jpg

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Tony
I want to book washings at your house ! Please put me first on the list!
Thanks

I'm old school. I use a bucket, Turtle Wax Ice soap (I've found it doesn't destroy wax) and two well worn microfiber towels. I use one really soft one in the washing cycle. I quarter the car - hood and front, top, rear and wheels. With the dry air you can't do the whole car at once (same was true in Colorado). So I wet it with the hose, wash with the soapy water, rinse. I do the whole car. I then totally rinse my soft soapy towel (because it is the softest) and then wet the whole car down (if water doesn't bead I know it's time for wax). Then I wipe off the water with the soft washing towel (never letting it get too wet) and immediately follow with a dry towel since the first towel will leave some streaks. This process this morning took a full hour. By the way, if the car was black this would have been an all day affair.

I've really got to give credit to either the original owner or the GT guys for the polish job. I'm almost in year 3 and the rain was just rolling off. Here you've see it - I can't claim it was never driven in the rain :) That said, the Vegas dry road grime sucks big time !!! I got it in the driveway and start giving my girl a bath. My wife came out and wanted to know what I was doing. She saw the black goo on the rockers and understood.

Wheels are the hardest. There is so much f8n brake dust but I think some of it is road grime and you can't get the area around the lug nuts clean. I suppose you might use q-tips but on my Cobra I pulled them off every year and just cleaned the wheels outside and behind the lines and waxed them and it made cleaning them much easier.

Last edited:

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
I like this type of "one stop wash & scratch" place ..... after all, the car just keeps getting dirty all the time :wink

IMG_6389.jpg

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
That picture is very cringeworthy, Anders. I did take my wife's Expedition through one yesterday, though. It's too hot and that truck is too damn big:)

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
The difference between a car washer & a detailer is the same difference between a bartender & a mixologist. That analogy is for Dr Frank! LOL

Ed

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
The only time water touches my GT is if I'm in the rain (not often). No scratches after 8 years & 49,000 miles. Dry washing should be researched a little before commenting (i.e. when Bonehead is not looking I'm going to dry wash his GT in Vegas - LOL!) Ask BlackIce what happen to his GT when he left it in my garage!

Special Ed

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
The only time water touches my GT is if I'm in the rain (not often). No scratches after 8 years & 49,000 miles. Dry washing should be researched a little before commenting (i.e. when Bonehead is not looking I'm going to dry wash his GT in Vegas - LOL!) Ask BlackIce what happen to his GT when he left it in my garage!

Special Ed

Wash at your own risk, Brother Ed. But I must warn you that I may or may not have one of these installed for busy bodies that can't adhere to look-but-don't-touch.

[video=youtube;fDrzMGdYWZc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDrzMGdYWZc[/video]

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Ok, James Bond - I will dry wash you car wearing my flame retardant suit!

Ed

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
VERY funny Special Ed. Are you a relation to Mr. Ed?

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I do own two horses. Neither of them with the name of Mr Ed. By the way Dr Frank, you owe me more than a few drinks - pay up in Vegas.

Ed

Aug 12, 2013
I just wanted to take a minute and introduce myself. I am the detailer that had the privilege of taking care of all the GT's at last years rally in Sonoma, California. Being a Ford guy, I had a blast doing it and would love to join you at this years rally in Las Vegas and offer my services once again. I am trying to gauge interest to see if there are enough people who would like this service. I can even bring a second detailer who works for me if needed.

The basic package I am offering is a very thorough $60 exterior mini detail using a 2 bucket wash method with a separate bucket for the wheels. I can also perform a limited number of complete details for anyone who contacts and schedules with me in advance. If there is enough interest I will start a list to keep track of who wants this service. If anyone has any questions feel free to message me here or contact me through my email or phone number listed in my signature below.

Thank you,

Andrew Luzaich
Quickcarwash@gmail.com
707-836-3040
http://www.finaltouchautomotivedetailing.com/
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Final-Touch/96108469230

A picture of me with Ron's GT.
10609582_10152618309604231_9063139176641582253_n.jpg

Night picture in Sonoma.
10565148_10152618309589231_6072293987758851080_n.jpg

RALPHIE

GT Owner