Electrical Problem ???

FrenchBoss

Jul 14, 2014
Quebec, Canada
Hello gentlemans,

I am new on this forum, I own a 2006 Forg GT, I do most of my maintenance (oil change , brake, tune up etc...) I came across a problem recently that comes and goes. Some of my gauges dont work ( RPM, Boost, temp, oïl pressure, ) When this happens the check engine light comes on. I checked ALL fuses and they are ok, I also checked as many wiring connector as I could. Now sometimes I will start the car and by magic everything goes back to normal and the check engine light shut' off.
I am kind of lost, any suggestion.
Thanks
Steve

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
You need to replace the battery - the system voltage sags down when you start the car due to the high current drawn by the starter, and the gauges don't get sufficient voltage to initialize.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
What Ralphie said...and, in addition, you'd be wise to clean both ends of both battery cables and their 'attachment points' while you're at it. A good clean ground seems to be especially critical on these cars. :wink :thumbsup

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
Do you keep the car on a charger, that seems to help.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Are you sure it's not the check gauges light?

Check engine light should only come on if a code is thrown.

After checking battery condition and cleaning battery cables as suggested, make a practice of waiting for the gauges to boot before pressing the start button. Just watch the fuel gauge. Then start.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
New battery, terminals and ground as stated above!
Best of luck.
Mark

FrenchBoss

Jul 14, 2014
Quebec, Canada
Thanks guy's, I cant believe it's only that . I will put in a new batterry tomorrow , regarding the light it is for sure the little yellow engine light.

Are you sure it's not the check gauges light?

Check engine light should only come on if a code is thrown.

After checking battery condition and cleaning battery cables as suggested, make a practice of waiting for the gauges to boot before pressing the start button. Just watch the fuel gauge. Then start.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
If it is the check engine light, it's time to check the engine.

GT1261

GT Owner
May 28, 2012
Same thing happened to me at Le Mans. My fuel gauge stopped right after I started my 3000 mile trip and one day at the track she was totally dead, and before that all my gauges was going crazy. Bad ground and an old battery was the cause of that issue. Thank god for Dave at GT101 that had a new battery in the service car.

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
Amen to all the above. I stopped at a gas station last night and was pulling away from the pump and noticed a couple gauges didn't work and check engine light was on. I had also have gauges intermittently go out on start up but come right back on with turning the ignition key off and back on. I tried this trick last night but then the whole car went dead. NO POWER at all. I emailed Torrie who promptly responded to check terminals and ground. I didn't know where to check ground and didn't have a flash light but did everything I knew. Got a tow to the dealer and guess what???? Corroded ground!!!!!

Another word of wisdom, keep a wrench to tighten battery terminals, a flash light, and jumper cables just in case.

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
Although I've posted this previously, I think it bears repeating. It's awfully easy to add a redundant ground cable in parallel with the factory cable. For whatever reason (micro-corrosion to the aluminum chassis??) these ground cable issues, though infrequent, seem to be more common to our GT's than any other late model car I can think of. My solution, after almost being stranded once, has been
occasional maintenance and the double ground.

Howard

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
Howard how did you run it ??

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
There is already a threaded hole available in the trunk.

Attachments

• FGT Ground Strap 1 (1).JPG
    FGT Ground Strap 1 (1).JPG
    60 KB · Views: 235
  • FGT Ground Strap 1 (2).JPG
    FGT Ground Strap 1 (2).JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 235

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
Great !!! Thank you!!!