Ford GT vs. S&P 500

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
:agree: Great advice Stormbringer. Why don't you take a step back, rethink your approach and then start out fresh. You will find this place has a bunch to offer for the real car enthusiast and can be very welcoming.

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
On a lighter note, I noticed the Ferrari California went for, what, $13,000,000ish? I have on good authority that Bob Norwood (whose work seems terrific to me, though I DO NOT represent myself as an F car expert) will re create a 250 Cali for the better part of $1MM. That's right, a million bucks for a Ferrari engined, "re-body" dare-I-say-replica. Let's say, hypothetically, it is worth it. Does that mean that Safir GT40s are cheap @ $400,000?
Again, I'll say it, real GT40s are cheap. Way cheap. But as George Stauffer once told me (note the name drop!), they're the wrong F cars.

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Someone on this forum - I do not remember who - has a signature using a saying that goes something like this:

"It´s nice to be important, but more important to be nice".

Works well in most situations :wink

:cheers
Anders

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
On a lighter note, I noticed the Ferrari California went for, what, $13,000,000ish? I have on good authority that Bob Norwood (whose work seems terrific to me, though I DO NOT represent myself as an F car expert) will re create a 250 Cali for the better part of $1MM. That's right, a million bucks for a Ferrari engined, "re-body" dare-I-say-replica. Let's say, hypothetically, it is worth it. Does that mean that Safir GT40s are cheap @ $400,000?
Again, I'll say it, real GT40s are cheap. Way cheap. But as George Stauffer once told me (note the name drop!), they're the wrong F cars.

There was a Norwood P3/4 that recently sold, as noted in SCM for a helluva bargain. On travel currently, but I think I remember a number like $55K. Note: if I had known about it, it would have been mine.....replica or not!!

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado

What is a Safir GT40? Who sells them for $400k?

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
Safir GT40s were a run of roughly 30 cars made in the 1980s that are essentially a continuation of the remaining Mark 1 style GR40s.

http://www.gt401132.com/the-ford-safir-gt40-story.asp

Here's one for sale:http://gt40photos.co.uk/page69.html

And another one:http://www.classicdriver.com/en/car/ford/gt-40/1986/148159

Last edited:

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
What is a Safir GT40? Who sells them for $400k?

Hmmm, thought you would have done your homework on that one. Safir Spares owns the trademark of "GT40" which is why we have the Ford GT. Safir GT40s would be the equivalent of the McClusky Cobras. About 0.5 generation removed from the originals.

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
I've done my homework Tony. Sorry for the sarcasm. I think it's funny that SAAC calls the first Safir cars "continuation" cars but SPF cars replicas. Just more Shelby sour grapes. Hey, if someone thinks a less authentic GT40 made in the 80s is worth twice what an almost exact copy of the original made by the company the currently owns the trademark, knock yourselves out.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I've done my homework Tony. Sorry for the sarcasm. I think it's funny that SAAC calls the first Safir cars "continuation" cars but SPF cars replicas. Just more Shelby sour grapes. Hey, if someone thinks a less authentic GT40 made in the 80s is worth twice what an almost exact copy of the original made by the company the currently owns the trademark, knock yourselves out.

Actually, check me but it is Safir that licenses Superformance/HiTech with their "continuation" P series cars... So the Safir cars fall into the continuation lineage "earlier".

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA

Yes, I've seen theirs...............though big difference between $340K and $55K :eek

$55K...no brainer. $340K...that's gonna take a tad more thinking! :skep

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
Ah, Kingman, what's $285,000 amongst friends?

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Touché :thumbsup

................or, as the market is trending, a non-Heritage broken-in FGT.