Ford GT vs. S&P 500

dtomaso1

GT Owner
Dec 6, 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
Great article about collector car investment growth. Mention of FGT:

http://www.foxbusiness.com/industries/2014/08/05/as-market-expands-classic-car-values-rev-higher/

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York

Good read, also the NSX gets a nice mention at the end of the article!!!

david b

GT Owner
Jun 10, 2010
cleveland ohio
Does anyone really think investing in collector cars is a viable investment strategy? Dont get me wrong,,,,, its fun and the few times it works out you feel really smart but its hardly a way to grow your money.

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Does anyone really think investing in collector cars is a viable investment strategy? Dont get me wrong,,,,, its fun and the few times it works out you feel really smart but its hardly a way to grow your money.

Buy it because you want to drive it, if it goes up in price.......................icing on the cake!!!

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida

It can be, but you must treat the cars as investments, and what fun is that? It won't ever work for me because I only buy what I like, regardless of collectibility, and I generally don't sell what I like. So even if a car turned out to be a good investment, I will never realize a profit. My heirs might, but I won't. I did sell a car once for more than I paid. A 1970 Continental Mark III. But I put about $65,000 in gas in that thing, so it doesn't count as a good investment.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Guys who win on a car investment can take pleasure in their luck, not their skill.

In 99.9% of investment gains, the gain would be a loss if true cost accounting was done.

Congrats to the lucky 0.1%. Unless you didn't get to drive your investment.

matteuson

GT Owner
Jun 4, 2014
Cincinnati, OH
This hit today and I made several comments on the website:

http://www.sportscardigest.com/collector-car-market-the-beginning-of-the-end/

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Hey, remember MoPar Mania? They went up like a rocket and dropped like a rock (not a rocket on a parachute) but now they are back up again. It's a cycle. If you love your car and intend on driving it until you die and leaving it to your estate to figure it out, who cares. If you think it is an investment and want to maximize ROI, then watch the market and cash out when you think it is near the top. Then wait to the bottom and buy again. (I did that on my house in Las Vegas.)

Recall that noone thought anything of Michelangelo, Picasso and Andy Warhol when they were alive ...

In 1970 you could have bought an original 289 Cobra for about 3000 and a 427 for 4000. A GT40 was maybe 5000. They were really just leftover race cars that noone wanted. When Shelby was bringing the 6 Daytona Coupes back on the ship from Europe he almost dumped 'em in the ocean rather than pay import duty (since all but 1 was actually built in Italy).

It's all being at the right place at the right time.

I'm having fun, so like was said, the boost is icing on the cake. I expected to lose money as I have on every other car I've ever owned. Anything else is "icing on the cake".

Last edited:

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
On Cobra wiki page, says cars were not a
Commercial success

1989 Daytona prices have stil not been hit, when inflation is included. Mostly Japanese buyers with real estate bubble money ; not disimilar from China's ghost cities bubble

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
The big difference between 1989 and now: a billion more people in the market; Eastern Europe, Russia, China ( how they love brand names!!), even though less than 0.1% can afford them , Still allot more buyers than cars! Sure to slow and even pullback some but no Hugh crass like 1989.

StormBringer

Jul 18, 2014
Greenwich & Malibu

Nice to see Dubai property still gaining. When the credit crunch hit there you wouldn't believe all the abandoned supercars left by the roadside. You get jailed for debt in that country. I advised the small players to stick it out but many ex-pats ran back to Britain.

I think anyone buying any automobile for an investment has too much money to play with. lol On my flickr is our black 300SL gullwing it must be worth around 1.6 in it's condition and also in the our ownership since new. I've never sold a car in all my years and I think my grandfather only sold one to Bill Harrah in a trade. But the liability is staggering when I look at the many "classic Ferrari's" purchased from Mr. Luigi Chinetti decades ago. Growing up in Greenwich he along with Mr. Briggs Cunningham was a major influence on me and racing.

In that original article the Jaguar F type R was mentioned as a future classic. It may well be one especially the series seven model out of their special-ops division. Interesting to see what prices will be reached in Monterey.

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
The big difference between 1989 and now: a billion more people in the market; Eastern Europe, Russia, China ( how they love brand names!!), even though less than 0.1% can afford them , Still allot more buyers than cars! Sure to slow and even pullback some but no Hugh crass like 1989.

Agree. And the Internet. And auctions on TV. And us boomers reliving our youth.

david b

GT Owner
Jun 10, 2010
cleveland ohio
Agree. And the Internet. And auctions on TV. And us boomers reliving our youth.

How about the Porsche 918 (1m) , La Ferrari (1.3m)and the Mclaren F1 (1.3m)

Think these will appreciate.

The enzo has really gone up and so has the mclaren. Both are about 10 yrs old. The cgt is now a 500k plus car and going up. If you bought these cars 10 yrs ago you would have been able to drive them and enjoy them for a decade and for the most part at least break even...

Think the new ones do the same

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
These low # production cars will hold there values and even rise because of the low numbers. I think especially the CGT, I am not sure about the new "hybrids". What makes owning FGT great is the low cost of ownership compared to the others!

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I'm laying odds, Carrera GTs have peaked.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I'm laying odds, Carrera GTs have peaked.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I hope not....

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
There are probably 500 CGT's left in the US. With the 918 hybrid coming out, true Porsche aficionados and collectors are looking to add CGT's to their collections. The days of a sub $300k CGT are long gone. The market may take a breather but I doubt we are going backwards in the long haul.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Sadly, I'm with the ^^good doctor. And with that goes any hopes of me ever owning one:(

StormBringer

Jul 18, 2014
Greenwich & Malibu
How about the Porsche 918 (1m) , La Ferrari (1.3m)and the Mclaren F1 (1.3m)

Think these will appreciate.

The enzo has really gone up and so has the mclaren. Both are about 10 yrs old. The cgt is now a 500k plus car and going up. If you bought these cars 10 yrs ago you would have been able to drive them and enjoy them for a decade and for the most part at least break even...

Think the new ones do the same

Not sure if the top part you are referring to P1 and not F1.

As far as production the F1 is much older than ten years. Production basically from '92 -'98, making the F1 16-22 years old. There's a beautiful white one for auction next week.