Copper 1940 Ford (GT)

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
The 40GT is a special project that combines the running gear of a 2005 Ford GT with the stunning good looks of a '40 convertible body made of pure copper. Although the body is pure copper, the car weighs less than the GT and in theory it should be faster to 100 mph. The body was formed at the factory in Poland and then shipped to a facility in Provo, Utah. Once the mechanical work was completed they polished the exterior of the car to a mirror like finish. The flames are a brushed satin finish. The interior is lined with an African hardwood called Bubinga and trimmed in black leather with brushed aluminum accents. The shifter and shift mechanism from the Ford GT are utilized in the custom center console.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
A beautiful Kirkham car.

Some others:

Copper Cobra with a SOHC! 427
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ypw5bzsGAxE
image.jpg

Bronze slabside
image.jpg

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Crazy stuff. Denbeste does a copper Cobra too. I don't know who does the hammering, but it is over the top.

5D3_5617.jpg

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
The copper cars are over the top for me as well. I prefer the subtlety of the bare aluminum Cobra.

On the other hand, I'm all over that SOHC 427.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
The copper cars are over the top for me as well. I prefer the subtlety of the bare aluminum Cobra.

On the other hand, I'm all over that SOHC 427.

I am fascinated by the SOHC 427 also. I figure if the motor in that Cobra ever gives me an excuse to, I will be getting something like this to replace it with:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Ford-Aluminum-SOHC-427-FE-Cammer-Engine-Complete-/380282550288

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I'm with you 100% Clint. Although I really like a small block in the Cobra, there's just something about that cammer motor. Have you received your car yet?

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
I'm with you 100% Clint. Although I really like a small block in the Cobra, there's just something about that cammer motor. Have you received your car yet?

Supposed to be loaded onto the transport tomorrow!

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
SFSDGT I doubt a vintage 1960s SOHC 427 big block will fit in your cobra if that is the engine you are talking about. That's a really wide engine.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
SFSDGT I doubt a vintage 1960s SOHC 427 big block will fit in your cobra if that is the engine you are talking about. That's a really wide engine.

It takes some effort to get them in there, but they will fit.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Yep, been done before. I've seen a few on the 'net. Here's one: http://saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1362.0

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
A SOHC engine will not fit in a standard Cobra, at least from the majors. If you tell them they will accommodate it. It starts with engine mounts but as I recall at least in the Shelby CSX cars the foot boxes have to be trimmed.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
A SOHC engine will not fit in a standard Cobra, at least from the majors. If you tell them they will accommodate it. It starts with engine mounts but as I recall at least in the Shelby CSX cars the foot boxes have to be trimmed.

Nobody is saying it will drop right in, but to have the mystique of the cammer nestled in your engine bay, it may be worth the effort! My Lord, look at the beauty of this one (in the very thread you were just on over in clubcobra):

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all...bra-kmp-owners-post-up-pics-your-cobra-9.html

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
They are awesome, but not a single original Cobra had a cammer.... Side oilers, yes. a few with 428PIs. But no cammers. Except for Jay Lennos.

I do vote for them as the most awesome engines ever, the side oiler being my second favorite. Originality would say get a 427FE. Warning: There are quite a few NOS 427FEs out there. Many of them now are marine engines that go the wrong direction (now I forget if a standard auto engine is clockwise or counterclockwise). Marine engines were 50-50 as pairs one would be CW and the other CCW to keep the props from turning you in a circle. A backwards engine can be made right for a price.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I was asked to post on the Cobra forum pictures of my old car. It's relatively rare as it was a carbon fiber car and also one of the LA series vehicles (two of the 6 LA cars were also CF cars, all of the CF cars built by HST in San Diego while they were building fiberglass cars for Shelby) - it would be interesting to know if your roller is a HST or HiTech built. Anyway, as I was going through the pictures I realized how much I missed it.

campgreenlake

GT Owner
Sep 10, 2007
Florida
That would give you 5 speeds in reverse and 1 speed in foreward!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
That would give you 5 speeds in reverse and 1 speed in foreward!

OOOH I never thought of it that way. Could be fun, eh?

Of course, the Cobra aerodynamics pretty much sucked going forward, and I'll tell you, would be horribly, abysmally, bad, awful, sucky (any other bad word?) going backwards. In fact, I can see the rear wheels going off the ground at about 40MPH. I truly love the Cobra's butt though. Nice, round, hold onto the hips. :)

Last edited:

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
I was asked to post on the Cobra forum pictures of my old car. It's relatively rare as it was a carbon fiber car and also one of the LA series vehicles (two of the 6 LA cars were also CF cars, all of the CF cars built by HST in San Diego while they were building fiberglass cars for Shelby) - it would be interesting to know if your roller is a HST or HiTech built. Anyway, as I was going through the pictures I realized how much I missed it.

I know they weren't native to the original cobras, but then again, mine isn't an original cobra (although like yours, it is an authentic shelby cobra), so in my book, it isn't as sacrilegious to drop in a different engine.

Yes, I was admiring the photos of your old cobra recently. Sweet car. Is there a simple way to tell where my roller was built?

campgreenlake

GT Owner
Sep 10, 2007
Florida
I saw one of these Kirkham copper body Cobras when I visited Dave Wagner's shop a while back. Beautiful!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ppal3ytkzwc

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I know they weren't native to the original cobras, but then again, mine isn't an original cobra (although like yours, it is an authentic shelby cobra), so in my book, it isn't as sacrilegious to drop in a different engine.

Yes, I was admiring the photos of your old cobra recently. Sweet car. Is there a simple way to tell where my roller was built?

Oh, yours is an alloy car (I just rememberd and did a whole bunch of delete). In that era I would guess your car was fabricated in Nevada. It was a coop between Shelby in Vegas, and, er, the state prison up north :) PM me your CSX number and I'll ask. The Registry is a good source. I just went to Shelby American when they were up by the track and took pictures of the sheets in the registry with my car (and the others in the LA and carbon fiber series) on my cell phone. I think the guys on the Cobra site probably can answer quicker.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
CSX 4145, but that's ok. I will post the question on that forum sometime...