The Long War

CH53Driver

Shelby GT500 owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 20, 2008
Arkansas.
Gentleman,

As most of you all are probably aware, the Global War on Terrorism (GWOT or often called The Long War) is winding down despite the current upheaval we are witnessing around the globe and especially in the Middle East. A long time ago I was fortunate to meet a man on here that many remember as Bony. Despite not being a GT owner, he was kind enough to let me join. While I never got to meet the man in person, despite him living a little over an hour from my hometown, we talked privately on quite a few occasions. He knew I was a helicopter pilot in the Marines (at the time) and had asked me if I would like to start a thread about aviation on here. He knew there were a few aviators and former military on this site and he thought people would really get a kick out of it. I declined at the time and sadly here we are many years later without his presence.

So fast forward a few years and I am no longer serving my country as an active duty service member. Recently, with all the current events that are taking place in the Middle East it stirred up quite a bunch of memories for me, some good and some not so good. So I decided to write a couple of articles, personal experience type pieces, and submit them to an online website I frequent. This website is about national defense, strategy, policy, current affairs, etc. I was very fortunate that the pieces I submitted to the website were well received by their editorial staff and were selected to be published.

Both pieces were recently published and I wanted to share them but before I did I asked Chip Beck if it would be okay for me to post them here. Chip was very gracious and told me that it would be fine for me to share so I am going to post the links to both articles that I wrote.For full disclosure, I did not get paid for these articles nor am I a member of their editorial staff. I am not endorsing them in anyway. To this day I really try to stay as apolitical as I can. So if you are interested in a couple of my personal stories, feel free to read them and comment if you desire. I am starting to find it therapeutic to discuss this stuff and if you ask something I don't want to share in public, I will PM you if the situation requires it. I also have a ton of pictures, but will not post pictures of people I served with. I feel it would be wrong to do so without their consent. Thank you.

http://warontherocks.com/2014/07/4116-days-or-thereabouts/

http://warontherocks.com/2014/07/you-cant-stop-shrapnel-with-canvas/

Last edited:

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Damn fine writer. Thank you for sharing. I trust you will be fine with me forwarding these along to friends.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Matt,

Thanks a ton for putting these up. Keep on writing bro. You've clearly got a knack for it.

Chip

CH53Driver

Shelby GT500 owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 20, 2008
Arkansas.
Damn fine writer. Thank you for sharing. I trust you will be fine with me forwarding these along to friends.

You most certainly can sir.

Matt,

Thanks a ton for putting these up. Keep on writing bro. You've clearly got a knack for it.

Chip

Thanks Chip. I'll try, I feel like there's a lot more to come.