Battery Tender Jr failures

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Thanks Guys, my BT is working fine but I suspect I may have just jinxed it :biggrin

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
We need to do some work on this forum. It has degenerated to endless battery tender debates. Or is it the degenerating Optimas? Or is it the fluctuating power from my utility? Or is it the fact that I just need to drive my car once in a while? :leaving: :lol

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I have a rebranded version from Interstate Batteries. Works great. The kit sold by one of our vendors had the harness to make the battery connection to the header by the air scoop but I used the original power brick I had from my Cobra.

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
FYI, the Ferrari charger is a CTEK, branded and marked up accordingly!!!

Some OEM rebranded ctek chargers have unique connectors so you have to buy their version.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Some OEM rebranded ctek chargers have unique connectors so you have to buy their version.

Nothing a soldering iron and heat shrink can't fix.

Midengine-man

GT Owner
Apr 1, 2007
FYI, I have had a few Battery Tenders for 10 years, always hooked up.
When the BT's were (2) yrs old, there was a lightening strike near my house which wiped out
A single BT and a 4 channel BT. (It also wiped out all low voltage chargers and my vintage stereo receiver).

I sent the (2) units back to the BT factory and said I would pay to have them fixed since they were off warranty.
They sent me (2) brand new units, no charge. I don't know of many companies these days that will stand behind their product like that..........!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I sent the (2) units back to the BT factory and said I would pay to have them fixed since they were off warranty.
They sent me (2) brand new units, no charge. I don't know of many companies these days that will stand behind their product like that..........!

In that kind of space, almost everyone would choose to replace over repair. They are sealed so it is almost impossible to crack the case to replace components, and the cost of a human troubleshooting and replacing components (even swapping a circuit board) exceeds the cost of a new unit. What is surprising is that they (1) replaced a lightning damaged unit (2) out of warranty. That is customer service.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Not a helpful comment but......am I the only guy that has never used a tender and never had one issue? OEM battery lasted 8 years and I only replaced it with the Sears unit out of caution. Never one gauge failure either. Granted here in SoCal I drive it every 2-3 weeks on average. Must be that Midnite Blue magic.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Not a helpful comment but......am I the only guy that has never used a tender and never had one issue? OEM battery lasted 8 years and I only replaced it with the Sears unit out of caution. Never one gauge failure either. Granted here in SoCal I drive it every 2-3 weeks on average. Must be that Midnite Blue magic.

Same here. Replaced with OEM last year. No issues with gauges. Tungsten Magic!

Kevin - my guess it's all the tiny metal flakes are keeping all the electrons going in the right direction.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
My connector is a female power port I installed in one the a fake brake duct. That way if I forget to remove the charger's cable when I back out it just comes off without damaging anything.

I back the FGT in. I have the Cooltech connector but I lay the wire under the front wheel so if I forget to disconnect a roll forward will dis-connect the wire :biggrin and ask me how I know this works.....

........ it's from being a dumb ass and forgetting about disconnecting, but the brick stayed plugged in at the outlet so I'm happy with this fail safe

KMCBOSS

RED GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Bremerton, Washington
I have the Griot's Garage Battery Manager IV. Comes with a lifetime warranty - about $100.

TifosiTed

GT Owner
Jul 30, 2007
Chicago Burbs
I have had three BT failures including one that "cooked" and aircraft battery. I have used a Sears tender with great results for past 5+ years.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Guess I've had good luck, one has been on the gt since new, and have at least 6 more of them in service. At $40-50 each off amazon, I would not be heart broken if one failed after a while.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006