Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
What do you carry in your...

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Why in the world would anyone carry with FMJ? Characteristics in soft tissue damage (good) as well as penetration through walls (bad) both favor JHP.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Why in the world would anyone carry with FMJ? Characteristics in soft tissue damage (good) as well as penetration through walls (bad) both favor JHP.

What handgun and caliber do you have?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Don't know that was a something posted here.

True, but I will add my 2 cents anyway. You guys relying on pistols for personal protection should be using nothing but ball ammo for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is reliability. A revolver is a much, much better choice, but that is another discussion entirely.

The only reasons I would say are for reliability in some semi-autos and for penetration in marginal calibers such as a 380 or less.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
What handgun and caliber do you have?

HK45c. .45 ACP (obviously)

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Glock 19. FMJ. Although, I don't think of it as a self-defense gun (except for Rally 7, and possibly Rally 9 & 10). haha.

I wouldn't shoot a lot with large caliber, because it's stupid expensive. Accuracy counts more than caliber.

If I felt that I needed self-defense, it would be with a short barrel 12 gauge.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
For home use: After seeing first hand the collateral damage and carnage cause by firing ball ammo or hollow points inside a home this is the only round I will now use. It feeds very well, will stop at what it hits and wont kill what's on the other side of the wall.

http://www.corbon.com/corboncart/glaser/glaser-blue-6-pak

For CCW outside: My Kahr .40 feeds both ball and hollow points without issue so hollow point is what I use.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
For home use: After seeing first hand the collateral damage and carnage cause by firing ball ammo or hollow points inside a home this is the only round I will now use. It feeds very well, will stop at what it hits and wont kill what's on the other side of the wall.

http://www.corbon.com/corboncart/glaser/glaser-blue-6-pak

For CCW outside: My Kahr .40 feeds both ball and hollow points without issue so hollow point is what I use.

For home use I use reduced recoil 9 pellet 12g 00 buck. No CCW in CA for us non-connected, unlike S.D.F.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Ed,

Ball/FMJ ammo is far more reliable than a JHP in an auto loader. For a handgun used for personal protection, even a remote chance of a malfunction is unacceptable. The thing this, auto loader jams with the latest and greatest zombie killer ammo are anything but remote. Most people with pistols never even shoot with their expensive "personal protection" ammo because of cost and, as a result, have no idea how reliable their pistol/ammo combo is. As an aside, a .45 ACP requires no help from a fancy fragmentation round.

While I love the 1911 and own them, my preference for a personal protection gun is a revolver. I'm a huge fan of the S&W J frame revolvers for conceal carry. They are always ready and never malfunction. In my opinion, the S&W 340PD is the finest carry weapon made. At 11.4 oz. empty, you barely know it's there.

image.jpg

Last edited:

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
The rule of thumb for on board pistol ammo is JHP of a make that the FBI or major police forces use.
Easier to defend in court.
For home use, it depends on what your walls are made of and who else lives in the house.
If no one else home and plaster walls 00 buck, if sheetrock walls and other occupants, bird shot.
Carry gun, .45 ACP or 50 GI.
IMHO bigger trumps velocity!
Best,
Mark
Big dogs are good to have as well!

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Glock 19. FMJ. Although, I don't think of it as a self-defense gun (except for Rally 7, and possibly Rally 9 & 10). haha.

You have a 9mm Glock? I thought you had a GUN. :lol

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
You have a 9mm Glock? I thought you had a GUN. :lol
If you were the size of the squirrels in my yard, you could tell me how it feels to have a 9mm in your head at 50 feet.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
If you were the size of the squirrels in my yard, you could tell me how it feels to have a 9mm in your head at 50 feet.

Nice shooting. If you are ever attacked by rabid squirrels, you and Amy will be safe.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Nice shooting. If you are ever attacked by rabid squirrels, you and Amy will be safe.
Well, the 9mm was clearly inefficient for the task. A Walmart Marlin 22 was added to the arsenal. 69 squirrels later, we haven't seen one in a few weeks.

Did you know squirrels swim? I didn't. Much easier target.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Well, the 9mm was clearly inefficient for the task. A Walmart Marlin 22 was added to the arsenal. 69 squirrels later, we haven't seen one in a few weeks.

Did you know squirrels swim? I didn't. Much easier target.

Don't worry, they'll be back!

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Don't worry, they'll be back!

image.jpg

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I'm sure they'll be back. Sitting like that is the perfect target.

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
In the winter months I carry a 4" Kimber .45 with JHP. Summertime I usually have my Ruger LCP .380 with JHP in my pocket. Window smash in the middle of the night, pistol grip Mossberg 500 with a Surefire light, 4 00 buck rounds followed by 3 slugs. Also part of my night time intruder procedure is I have a remote on my bedside table that controls our home automation system. I can black the entire house out with the press of a button...or light the whole place up.

All in all you can never guess what will happen. Just have to hope that it never does and be prepared to fight.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Do you have a big crime issue in Oklahoma?

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
Not really in the town I live in but Tulsa is getting worse and worse. It seems at least 4-5 days out of the week there is a shooting or stabbing...usually robbery/home invasion type stuff. Here lately we have a group following people home and robbing them in the driveway. Carrying my gun has become as routine as putting on my watch in the mornings.