Takata airbag recall

JOEA2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 16, 2007
STATEN ISLAND,NY/SEA GIRT,NJ
To my amazement, they had it in stock. Does the passenger side fit something else?

Joe

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
To my amazement, they had it in stock. Does the passenger side fit something else?

Joe

Yes. Both sides are common with the same era Mustangs.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
My GT tech says the driver inflator is the same as 05-12 Mustang. Passenger inflator is the same as 10-11 Mustang.

IDK why this matters. The dealer still needs to get the parts based on your VIN.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I finally had passenger side today. Drivers side done 2 years ago at my house. Took about an hour and I helped the entire time. They had not done any GTs yet. Took more time because we removed the.bottleholders first to assure clean removal of the lower dash all the way across. Went back together without a hitch. No rattles afterwards. Very pleased with the process other than waiting so long.

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
I finally had passenger side today. Drivers side done 2 years ago at my house. Took about an hour and I helped the entire time. They had not done any GTs yet. Took more time because we removed the.bottleholders first to assure clean removal of the lower dash all the way across. Went back together without a hitch. No rattles afterwards. Very pleased with the process other than waiting so long.

Did Stormcat fly in to remove the bottle holders?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
No, he is MIA. They have not been touched since he installed in the parking lot in Vegas.

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
No, he is MIA. They have not been touched since he installed in the parking lot in Vegas.

I just talked/WhatsApp’d him this week. He is around you just need to know where to look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I know. Just yanking his chain.

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Yes. Both sides are common with the same era Mustangs.

My local dealership still seems not to have any in stock, dispite supposed availability for Mustangs as well.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
I didn't want to go back through 57 pages of searching, but I wanted to add a couple photos, to show what the one piece lower dash looks like (removed) and also the airbag assembly, particularly, where the updated replacement inflator goes.

I helped the tech handle and re-affix the lower dash since it is long and a bit unwieldy I imagine if one person were to try to remove and install while also holding it. Not to mention that the center portion is relatively small in relation to overall size.

Attachments

• GTairbag-6450.jpg
    GTairbag-6450.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 120
  • GTairbag-6455.jpg
    GTairbag-6455.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:

AJK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
By chance does anyone have a picture of the two bolts that hold the unit to the underside of the dash and their size and kind of head?

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
By chance does anyone have a picture of the two bolts that hold the unit to the underside of the dash and their size and kind of head?

Are these the droids you are looking for?

If you look at the floor mat in the photo, I believe these might be the two bolts you are looking for. The work has already been performed, so this is just one of my file photos documenting the work. I don't have additional information, but I'm hopeful that a forum member can assist with a positive bolt ID.

Attachments

• GTairbag-.jpg
    GTairbag-.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 159

laniakea

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 11, 2009
Air Bag Recall in New Mexico

Haha, I thought about that too.

Looks like it's only in effect for a few southern states for now:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners...getCategory=R&searchCriteria.nhtsa_ids=14V343

I received the letter about a year ago but am reluctant to take it to any of our dealers here in Albuquerque. I think only a few units were sold in town and I'd rather not be the guinea pig for the recall? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
You really have no choice but to take it to a dealer. I would check with your dealers to see if they have done any. First find one with a certified ford gt tech

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Anybody can do this job. It's just a trim panel and a few bolts and plugs. This is like saying I'm afraid to take my car to the dealer to get new wiper blades.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
I will add to this thread too... long debate for an easy job. I took my car to the dealer (Milliken) . Took 30 miniutes to do drivers side (twice ) and 40 minutes to do the passenger side. all done while I waited.
….quick, no issues , "easy peasy"
andy (ajb)

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
I received the letter about a year ago but am reluctant to take it to any of our dealers here in Albuquerque. I think only a few units were sold in town and I'd rather not be the guinea pig for the recall? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

As others mentioned here, the dealer has to perform this task to "clear" the recall from your Car/VIN, I don't think this can be bypassed. If you're nervous about taking the car there, ask your local dealer if he is willing to honor Ford Customer satisfaction program 14B009 regarding F-GT airbag inflators replacement at owner's home. My local dealer did mine and my buddy's GT at my home. Good luck!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
My dealer had not done a GT, BUT, they had done a lot of mustangs and Lincolns and made it much easier to do. No big deal.

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
If you're nervous about taking the car there, ask your local dealer if he is willing to honor Ford Customer satisfaction program 14B009 regarding F-GT airbag inflators replacement at owner's home. My local dealer did mine and my buddy's GT at my home. Good luck!

Tried to get this on the driver's side.
Dealer told me they would be willing to do the second option under that letter, which was loading it on a tow truck and hauling it in to the dealership for replacement.
I wasn't about to let some guy load and haul a car I'm sure he didn't know how to load, much less strap down on his roll back.
At least I was able to stay with the car at the dealership, and the GT tech was knowledgeable and easy to work with.
Still need to schedule the passenger side.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Anybody can do this job. It's just a trim panel and a few bolts and plugs. This is like saying I'm afraid to take my car to the dealer to get new wiper blades.

Yes, I watched the Ford GT certified Tech do the passenger side procedure and assisted with the removal replacement of the trim piece.

I don't think it looks that scary at all. I have removed and replaced air cooled 993 dashes a few times and that is kind of a pain in the ___ , with the limited and not always intuitive hardware access. I'd much rather do a Ford GT dash (with assistance - because the piece is long and unwieldy).

As for the air bag actuator, I did not touch any of that, for my own liability concerns, but it all looks very straight forward and simple.