Takata airbag recall

jbyrnes

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 13, 2006
Louisville CO
Uh, yep. But you want to ask if they went to school or actually, maybe, worked on one... It's like brain surgery school: Did you pass the simulations or did you actually do something on a real, er, car.

Your best choice is Sil Ter Har.

I agree about your surgery analogy, I'd rather have some guy work on the car who's replaced a few actuators on Mustangs and never seen a GT than a tech with a GT plaque on the wall who hasn't. I've never heard good words about the service at Sil-Terhar though and have always done my own work so I'm wary about finding the right place, right tech. I'm going to hang tight for awhile and then talk around with the few nearby dealers first until I hear the right words from them that gives me some confidence, even if it is a .6hr simple fix. First red flag will be if I hear they need to test drive the new actuator.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
...I've never heard good words about the service at Sil-Terhar though and have always done my own work so I'm wary about finding the right place, right tech. ...

My car came with only one key so I went down to Longmont Ford to see if they could do one, but they didn't have the blank and would order one up from Sil Ter Har. Instead I just drove down. Sil Ter Har had (I don't know if they still do) a GT trained master tech. The service manager was the only one allowed to drive the car into the bay and they let me come back while he mated the new key. They did move quite a few Ford GTs and the owner is one of the big sponsors of the Shelby Museum.

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
Just checked with the Owner website, no recall for my car. My built date was 06/06.

Ed

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
18,000+ views for an airbag thread! We're dragging peeps out of the closet with this one.

Airbags ftmfw! (Or lose, if you happen to get fragged).

Too bad our gauges don't explode in our faces. Now...that would be a worthwhile topic.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I don't read that as they will make a house call, but rather Ford will reimburse a dealer for the expense to have a trained tech come from another location to that dealership should they not have a Ford GT Trained technician in house.

On the other hand, I'd be willing to bet a local dealer will send a guy to someone who has 8 cars all wrapped in plastic in their warehouse :) Maybe even one car if you make a good case of a wrapped in plastic car.

Hmmm, then why do they say that the customers will not be informed of this provision? Sounds like they want the customer to bring the car to a dealer for the service, but will pay up to $200 for the technician to go to the vehicle or have the vehicle flatbed towed to the dealer. No biggie to me--I'd rather drive my car there and wait for the fix (and watch it being done).

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
I think that is 100% proof of Ford's stand-up/class act stance on treating GT owners.

What about the re-do on the Tach and Speedo :rofl

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada
got my recall notice and mine will be done at my home, when the parts come in. i also have a spare "new in box" steering wheel one that is also being serviced.

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Viva: What is your build date ?

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
What about the re-do on the Tach and Speedo :rofl

Well lets take a looky at how other OEMS act

-F-Car belt service money-pit, I think Ferrari would tell you to get on 3yr waiting list

-Z8 leaning tower-brace owners were basically told to go shove it, even with class-action lawsuit

-Gallardo glass clutch/ change every 10K mi; it has AWD and large tires, so not warranty

-SLS AMG sea-sick transaxle software; wait a couple years till our coders finish their pizza, then re-flash for $1000+

-918, sorry.

Fact that they got Autometer to re-issue a part on a 8yr car is a miracle; order them and put on NOS shelf

Life is too short to sweat the pennies

Last edited:

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
For the record, I was able to install the factory engineered and produced strut tower solution on my Z8 years after buying for less than $1500. I had zero signs or symptoms of any problems FWIW.

Many BMW Loyalists got theirs for free. I am a Ford loyalist so no special treatment for me.

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada
Viva: What is your build date ?

2/27/06

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
I received no letter. i went on Ford website and put in my serial number, mentioned there was a recall for driver's side airbag, my car "may" be part of the recall??? I have no idea what this means?? I am original owner.

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Please see post #184 and verify vs. your build date-

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada
Please see post #184 and verify vs. your build date-

i see what you mean. i have an email to my buddy to confirm that he has the correct VIN for my car.
he has also sent me the Ford procedure as well as the internal memo that confirms.
i will update next week.

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
I called the Customer Relations number at Ford. According to my VIN# and build date, my car is not involved in recall. It's build date is 3 days before the Feb 11, 2005 date when the recalled VINs start.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Oh. Yeah, maybe you are correct. It sounded too good to be true. Still, it says "technician travel to VEHICLE location for repair", not to "closest vehicle dealership" for repair.

First, has anyone tried to get a Ford tech to make a house call?

Second, is anyone else still seeing just one side (mine is drivers) being the only side to be replaced? Mine says drivers side and doesn't list passenger side specifically.

Last edited:

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx

Second, is anyone else still seeing just one side (mine is drivers) being the only side to be replaced? Mine says drivers side and doesn't list passenger side specifically.

Gave my local dealer my vin # and its says same "drivers side only"

GEE-TEE

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 1, 2009
Calabasas, California
I went on The site and plugged in my VIN and it said my Drivers side airbag only! So, I called the local dealership and they ordered the part as it was on back order and then when it arrived I took it in and they did it up withing a few hours. I just wish they had replaced the center emblem too!!! :(

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina

Tony, in the doc you posted it stated:

"Dealers are authorized to claim up to a maximum combined value of $200 to provide unique services to Ford GT owners under Customer Satisfaction Program 14809. Examples of potential services include:
• Technician travel to vehicle location for repair
• Vehicle transportation (towing/flatbed) to and from dealership"

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
I have a buddy who is a service advisor. He ordered the part which was on back order but just sent me a message it has arrived. I will get the lowdown as soon as I get back from the auctions