Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Good one boys. Miss Texas.
b346b1aea693940875c63fdf7ab9b755.jpg

Taylor04

Nov 17, 2013
So Cal
Success!

Just want to say I had both airbags done on a 2005 at Tuttle Click Ford in Irvine, CA this week. Not a single issue, everything went perfectly.

Renato Rodrigues was my service advisor and Ted Deluca is the tech you want, he's been there 38 years! I'll try to get some pics up tonight.

Andrew

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
My air bag recall story is sordid indeed. It started with Ford claiming that the recall was already done (prior owner used my VIN). It took two months to get that straightened out. Dealer agreed to towing. Recall completed. Now they say towing is one way only!!!

Last edited:

GT35065

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Took my car to local dealer this morning. Had already provided VIN so they could order parts, so airbags were there. I talked to the owner of the dealership and the owners son who works there and they assured me they could handle the job. They had the service manager call me up directly to set up the appointment.

I got there at 9:00 and by 10:00, both airbags were done. They had their shop foreman Justin and another master mechanic on the job. They were very careful and took their time. I was able to stay with the car after getting permission from the service manager. They had pretty good diagrams and instructions from Ford and it turns out this was the first Ford GT they had done. Lots of other cars, but not a GT. Only small glitch was when the master mechanic was taking the car back to service bay. I explained about first gear, and sure enough he was going to take off in third. I was able to get him to shift it into first so no harm, no foul.

I can't believe how quickly they were able to do both, however two guys makes it easier. The entire shop came to a standstill when the car came in with most guys leaving their job to gawk and take pictures. I apologized to the service manager, but he just laughed. They loved the car. I can't believe how much love and attention these 13 year old cars still get. A bunch of people from the sales department came back to see it too. The dealership is Walker Ford in Clearwater in case anyone locally wants to know.

mymach5

GT Owner
Nov 18, 2007
Melbourne, Florida
Had my passenger airbag put in by local dealer but it looks like crap. It has a plastic face, not leather and the paint is sticky and coming off. Does anyone else have this problem?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I am confused. Plastic, paint, sticky? Please post pics. This is an easy job requiring only screw drivers as I remember.

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Me too, did they mess up the dash?

mymach5

GT Owner
Nov 18, 2007
Melbourne, Florida
The red hue is the thin paint! Is yours leather? think my dealer put in crap so I would quit calling. I will take a picture in the sun so you can see better.

Attachments

• IMG_2139.JPG
    IMG_2139.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2140.JPG
    IMG_2140.JPG
    946.1 KB · Views: 23

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Oh yeah, that's bad. It looks like they handled the air bag cover with some kind of solvent on their hands. Definitely take it back and talk to the dealer owner.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
That airbag cover is covered in black leather like the rest of the dash. It does not come out during the replacement. Someone has screwed it up.

AJK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
My father and I took the unit out of the car and went to the dealer to have the part replaced and we installed it back in the car. It is not removed with a screwdriver and the black cover that fits into the dash that you are looking at as far as we can tell is matching leather grained flexible plastic material not real leather. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.