Takata airbag recall

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Excellent point Andy, replacement is very simple and a good mechanic is very careful. My mechanic didn't even disconnect the battery as he is very knowledgable of the Ford GT . Didn't want to take a chance of messing up my tune. I know of a mustang replacement that was done and a reflash of the computer wiped out his tune. There is no reason to reflash of the computer as was told to me by my mechanic. Because most mechanics are very busy This time of the year, I would suggest making an appointment and don't worry about the parts being sent back as they are ordered for a specific vin. Number, yours.

REDEEMED

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 10, 2008
Who in Alabama has had both sides done? And where? Also Atlanta would be possible for me.
Mobile is about 3 hours away. My local dealer said he couldn't do it.

93extxdps

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 17, 2007
Texas
You could remove driver airbag your self (2 bolts and disconnect wires) take to dealership have tech remove and replace module then you can replace airbag in your car.

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
You could remove driver airbag your self (2 bolts and disconnect wires) take to dealership have tech remove and replace module then you can replace airbag in your car.
I suspect for liability reasons the dealer or Ford would not allow this.

93extxdps

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 17, 2007
Texas
I suspect for liability reasons the dealer or Ford would not allow this.

Have you asked?

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Have you asked?

No I have not but my service manager lets me hang out and watch in the back while the swap was done. I actually prefer this rather than someone coming to my garage.

68Rcodeman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2008
Spring Hill, FL.
OK, First know that I have 28 1/2 years experience with Ford as a Senior Master tech. Four months ago I retired from my last dealership of ten years. I own two GT's and waited for the second Gen air bags. I called them to order my parts and know a very self conscious tech that I would trust to do it. They said they did not want the cars done there if I would just pick up the parts and do them at my home. I busted there chops and ask what does it pay? I hear it pays $ 150.00 an hour to work on Ford GT's. LOL. I am glad to do it at home in my shop and not have to worry about an oil changer or someone backing into it. I guess if they don't want the liability of my old ones there I should take them off my Preferred dealer for the new one on my application.

beckertb

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
Beaumont, TX
So my experience again makes me so frustrated going to see dealerships.

I drove my black 06 GT to my local Ford dealer. I pulled up to the service department. I got out and walked up to the service rider station. The gentleman there pleasantly asked what I needed. I said I wished to inquire about bringing in my cars for the airbag recall and I pointed to the black car sitting outside. He asked what kind of a car was it, for which I replied a Ford GT. He said "A what?" After briefly trying to explain to him the kind of a car it is, I gave him my paperwork for the recall with the 3 vin numbers on it. He looked them up in OASIS confirming each one has a recall and asked for my phone number as he would have to call me next week after he made some calls. I thanked him, got back in the car and drove it back home.

So quick version: local dealership doesn't know what kind of a car it is, doesn't know if they have the parts available or in stock and will call me when he finds something out (a call I don't ever expect to receive)

SMH

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
So....are replacements for both driver and passenger now available nationwide ???

This thread has become pretty confusing ....

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
So....are replacements for both driver and passenger now available nationwide ???

This thread has become pretty confusing ....

I think the driver's side is readily available. Passenger sides are in shorter supply. I believe 'higher risk' areas are getting priority. Desert SW and California will probably be one of the last ones to get them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
NHTSA, Takata and your friendly local Ford dealers are playing Russian roulette with us.

68Rcodeman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2008
Spring Hill, FL.
OK, First know that I have 28 1/2 years experience with Ford as a Senior Master tech. Four months ago I retired from my last dealership of ten years. I own two GT's and waited for the second Gen air bags. I called them to order my parts and know a very self conscious tech that I would trust to do it. They said they did not want the cars done there if I would just pick up the parts and do them at my home. I busted there chops and ask what does it pay? I hear it pays $ 150.00 an hour to work on Ford GT's. LOL. I am glad to do it at home in my shop and not have to worry about an oil changer or someone backing into it. I guess if they don't want the liability of my old ones there I should take them off my Preferred dealer for the new one on my application.

Both recalls are done. Simple at home procedure. I have the directions printed from the PTS dealer web site if someone needs them.. Took about 1 1/2 hours each car. Simple and no issue with scratching the center console or radio face bezel. Parts for driver side were in stock and passenger side came in two days. Two separate recall numbers.

Last edited:

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Received a notice to go in and replace my steering wheel bag last week... went in this am and they actually had one in stock and installed it right in front of me while I waited... they did say there is a recall on the passenger side as well but it was still not available. Although there is a switch to turn the passenger side off.

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
Got mine done yesterday, both sides per the two letters. It was simple for the tech, who was/is GT trained. He spent as much time on computer and paperwork as he did on the car and it took 1.5 hrs.

One item of note. The entire lower dash is one piece and therefore is very flimsy in the small section above the radio. Take great care when removing and replacing that piece as I think it would bend/break easily if care is not exercised.

DWR46

GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 20, 2008
68Rcodeman: I sent you a PM.

GEE-TEE

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 1, 2009
Calabasas, California
Went into my local dealer which is the same one that did the last recall. They said they are waiting for the part to arrive and will call me when it comes in. Its the second recall for the drivers only!!! If eventually we will get a recall for passenger side, then why dont they just do them both now?

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
If eventually we will get a recall for passenger side, then why dont they just do them both now?

Because it's too logical. Things rarely work that way in life.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Having driven to the vintage races at Pacific Raceways outside of Seattle, WA, I left my GT with Bowen-Scarff Ford in Kent, Washington, and they performed the driver's side canister replacement yesterday morning. It took them very little time to perform the exchange, and the work performed was invisible to me. Additionally, the canister removed showed absolutely NO corrosion or other effects - in fact it looked like a brand new item, even after 88,000 miles in all weather conditions. Perhaps the low oxygen level at 8,000 ft where I live contributed to the new look of the old canister. Here are 4 pictures of it -

If you are in the Pacific northwest, I highly recommend Bowen-Scarff Ford, for, in addition to the recall work performed, they also performed (at no charge) a multipoint inspection, tested my battery, measured the brake pads and inspected the tires for wear. Amazing that I still have 6-7 mm of lining left on my OEM original pads after 88,000 miles! (Unbeknownst to them, I had measured the brake pads 3 days before I left to drive to the Seattle area) As the rechargeable batteries in my camera were low, they even installed 4 new AA batteries in it to take the pictures above, at no charge! And, they found an inoperative license plate bulb, and put in a new one - no charge! And, topped off the windshield washer fluid!

Truly, a Ford agency that provides exemplary service to satisfy it's customers.

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
Now that is a very exceptional dealer Ralphie. My drivers side airbag actuator definitely had corrosion but the passenger side was clean as a whistle. The corrosion was on the backside of the actuator where around the lip of the label with the serial number etc on it.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Went into my local dealer which is the same one that did the last recall. They said they are waiting for the part to arrive and will call me when it comes in. Its the second recall for the drivers only!!! If eventually we will get a recall for passenger side, then why dont they just do them both now?

I dropped by today and had my driver's side done in service drive. No one but me drove the car, they had the technician come out and replace right in front of me.

I saw the upcoming notification on the computer screen (for passenger side), there are a lot of different cars and models involved, so it's not just the Ford GT's that are affected. My guess is that's part of the reason it takes a while to get everything coordinated.

I turned off my passenger airbag, and usually have it off since i take my kids around mostly.