Takata airbag recall

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
According to this article, it'll be affecting all our GTs..........

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/06/23/airbag-recall-widens-include-bmw-chrysler-ford-and-toyota/

beckertb

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
Beaumont, TX
Perhaps will replace the steering wheel airbag and delaminated emblem :)

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
Haha, I thought about that too.

Looks like it's only in effect for a few southern states for now:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners...getCategory=R&searchCriteria.nhtsa_ids=14V343

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
"Ford Motor Company (Ford) is conducting a limited regional recall for certain model year 2005-2007 Mustang, 2005-2006 GT and 2004 Ranger vehicles originally sold or currently registered in Florida, Puerto Rico, Hawaii and the U.S. Virgin Islands, and equipped with Takata-brand air bag inflators."

Does anyone know why this is limited?

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Ralphie..from what I have read .."high and Continuous HUMIDITY" is the factor.
andy (ajb)

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
If I get a letter I will chime in. My Red car needs a new emblem.. we,ve got lots of humidity here ..:biggrin I think the humidity is hard on relays too...

debtdrives

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 20, 2007
Oakland, Michigan 48363
I'll find out. My neighbor is the Pres of Takata N.A.

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
If humidity is the issue, those of us in Houston would certainly be affected. Guess we'll see.........

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Part of the recall is to collect samples for the NHTSA for testing.

I'd hate to have my delaminated emblem replaced, because I'd lose Ed Sims' way cool blue and red stickers. :lol

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
I contacted Ford's 800 number and the girl said only certain vehicles are on the recall list and not all FL, etc. vehicles. I typed my VIN # in this Ford recall web site http://owner.ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/RecallsPage and it said my FL car was not on the recall. Maybe all FGT aren't equipped with the Takata air bags?

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
Mine has a wind bag when I let her in.

HiloDave

GT Obsessed
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 7, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii
Has anyone heard more about the recall? My Hawaii car is not being recalled - yet.

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
There is a lot of humidity in ontario Canada!!!

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
All the GTs have Takata air bags as do the all Mustangs and several others. I'm surprised my black car didn;t get recalled because it sat on the upper level of a parking solutions hoist right on the gulf off Texas and I had several issues with electrical due to faulty and corroded contacts. car only had 1900 miles but had sat for 7 years in the salt air enviroment.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
The initial recall is to do testing of a sample of cars, not to replace the airbags.

There's a thread somewhere with links to the official documents.

If I recall correctly, this is a cooperative effort with NHTSB, not a directed safety recall.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

debtdrives

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 20, 2007
Oakland, Michigan 48363
If you "recall" correctly? Lol.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Ha! Lots of recalls going on. Sometimes I recall things, and it turns out I made it all up. Brain recall may be needed.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I read the details when it first came out. My understanding of the FGT recall was as a sampling of FGTs that were delivered in humid southern climates. Apparently humidity is a contributor and they wanted to see if there were signs of failure in them. I don't think there have actually been any recorded incidents of failures yet.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Takata problems make the news.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
NYT article says California is affected for other makes...

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/12/business/air-bag-flaw-long-known-led-to-recalls.html?_r=0

Is Your Takata Air Bag Under Recall?

Recent recalls in the United States have focused on cars sold or registered in states and territories with high humidity, which may have been a contributing factor. Those include Florida, Hawaii, Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina, Texas and California, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

More information can be found on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s recall page. Outside the United States, car owners should consult their national safety regulator.

Go to NHTSA Recall Page »