Takata airbag recall

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
Ha! Lots of recalls going on. Sometimes I recall things, and it turns out I made it all up. Brain recall may be needed.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
what's the old saying- "the older I get, the faster I went !" lol

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
From Kayvan's 2nd link -

View attachment 35753

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Most recent death was in Cali, non-ford

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Is there a way to disable the darn thing ? I'd rather take my chances without one vs. surgery to remove metal shrapnel from my face, (or death) courtesy of Takata, what a bunch of knuckle head engineers not testing under every variation of atmospheric condition before releasing the product to market.

According to the NYT article: "But Toyota is apparently concerned about availability and has received special permission from federal regulators to temporarily disable the front-passenger air bag. "

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
Mine were not part of the recall...

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Ford is only recalling the GTs that were originally sold in specific counties of those states listed. IE a very small number. The air bags are all the same and makes no allowance for where the GTs actually reside. My guess is that the recall will eventually expand to cover all units but there simply are not enough replacement parts to go around and will not be for a LONG time.

I too would like to simply disable mine in the mean time but it does not appear to be an option. When the recall does come, its going to be a problem getting it done. Very few dealers left that can actually work well on a GT.

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
I'll find out. My neighbor is the Pres of Takata N.A.

Any update on this?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I too would like to simply disable mine in the mean time but it does not appear to be an option.

There's always an option. A certain individual who shall remain nameless disconnected the wires to the airbag on the driver's side of his mother's car when 'twas revealed that small stature people could actually be killed by the darned things upon inflation.

SCREW "the law" in a case like that.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
The link in the original post contains the letter from Ford to the NHTSA. It says something like they are going to recall cars originally sold in humid areas (Hawaii, Florida etc) and also seem to say that eventually they will target cars that have been brought to those areas.

See here:

http://www.safercar.gov/staticfiles/safercar/recalls/Ford-confirmation-letter_Takata.pdf

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
Has anyone here received a recall letter yet?

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
My car was first registered in Florida and I haven't received anything yet.

It's easy to disable the airbag. Remove the two small plastic plugs around the column, remove the two bolts securing the airbag assembly, pull the assembly out and disconnect both plugs. Reinstall the airbag assembly. You will have an airbag warning light, but that's all there is to it.

I drove my GT around for a week without an airbag assembly while Sheby fixed my emblem.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
I'm not an Actuary (but my Nephew is an Actuarial Science major!), but taking out my HP-12C and looking at morbidity tables and loss triangles...I would say 4/14,000,000 (death) is not a high risk nor even 130/14,000,000 (injury).

So you or your heirs might have trouble getting plastic surgery or settlements without that airbag being operable .

There are tire lawyers here; I'm sure they know airbag lawyers who can opine.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
A lawyer, an accountant, and an actuary are arguing over whether it is better to have a married spouse or an unmarried lover. The lawyer says a lover because it's legally easier to disentangle yourself from a lover. The accountant says a spouse because you can get a tax deduction with a spouse. The actuary says it's better to have both because you can lie to each of them, telling each of them that you're with the other, and then go to the office to do some work.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I'm not an Actuary (but my Nephew is an Actuarial Science major!), but taking out my HP-12C and looking at morbidity tables and loss triangles...I would say 4/14,000,000 (death) is not a high risk

...unless you are one of the four.

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Has anyone here received a recall letter yet?

My car was delivered from the factory to a dealer in Miami, the car still resides in FL, and it is registered with a local Ford Dealer so it is still in Ford's system. I have not received a recall letter.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
The original Ford GT recall was a sampling to evaluate the units for exposure, not a general recall.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
My car was first registered in Florida and I haven't received anything yet.

It's easy to disable the airbag. Remove the two small plastic plugs around the column, remove the two bolts securing the airbag assembly, pull the assembly out and disconnect both plugs. Reinstall the airbag assembly. You will have an airbag warning light, but that's all there is to it.

I drove my GT around for a week without an airbag assembly while Sheby fixed my emblem.

Suggestion: Disconnect both terminals from battery (tape them) and wait a few minutes before you follow this procedure.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Suggestion: Disconnect both terminals from battery (tape them) and wait a few minutes before you follow this procedure.

Oooooooooooooh. Good point!

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Upgraded again: Immediate Action

Ford officially added to list, GT

http://www.nhtsa.gov/About NHTSA/Pr...ective-airbags-urged-to-take-immediate-action