Installing FRPP muffler

B. West

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2012
Irvine, CA
Hey B. Good find!
If you need another set of hands, and/or a lift let me know.

Will do. Thank you.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Well......I finally got my FRPP muffler in today. Can't wait to install it. I'm fairly handy so I may attempt to do it myself. Now the only question is, should I polish it (like Sinovac who has been a great source of info) or leave it stock?? Suggestions.

Polish it..... never will have a better opportunity than now.

You waited this long, whats a few more days?

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Now the only question is, should I polish it (like Sinovac who has been a great source of info) or leave it stock?? Suggestions.

You know the answer

DSC_4547.jpg

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I'm wondering how Sinovac's exhaust sound got so wimpy. Maybe that polish is dispersing the decibels.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I'm wondering how Sinovac's exhaust sound got so wimpy. Maybe that polish is dispersing the decibels.

Jealously is a very ugly thing.

rf18412

GT Owner
Feb 28, 2011
Omaha, Nebraska
I did not have the patience or likely the know how to do a good job.

Had it ceramic plated, worked great and has not changed color all season.

The sound and power is great.

Attachments

• IMG_2710.jpg
    IMG_2710.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_2709.jpg
    IMG_2709.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 85

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
That looks nice too. Who did it and what finish did you get?

B. West

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2012
Irvine, CA
That looks nice too. Who did it and what finish did you get?

+1

rf18412

GT Owner
Feb 28, 2011
Omaha, Nebraska
local ceramic coating guys, two employees, in 1000 sq foot bay, the place was a dump but it
had hot rod parts everywhere, they were backed up two weeks...
He had different colors, I went a silver that he polished when done.
Paid him $125

There has to be a shop near you.

rf18412

GT Owner
Feb 28, 2011
Omaha, Nebraska
This is the guy
Josh Trail

Trail Performance Coatings
1115 Applewood Dr.
Papillion, Nebraska 68046
Phone: (402) 932-7821

trailperformance.com
info@trailperformance.com

B. West

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2012
Irvine, CA
Any benefits of ceramic coating vs. polishing?
Update: From what I understand, ceramic coating is essentially the same as powder coating. This would serve to limit heat displacement but requires heating the exhaust system to coat it. This would likely void any potential warranty as a potential cause of failure. I will be polishing it. I also found out that it could possibly discolor over time from heat with the ceramic coating.

Last edited:

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
That is a very good price for the coating.

I don't think you would have any problems with a ceramic coating on the muffler. My ceramic coated headers have held up fine and they are obviously subjected to much more heat.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Anything you do to Borla parts voids the warranty. If you have the 1st gen Borla muffler, don't do anything to void the warranty, because you may need it. Cracked welds and rotten stuffing causing intolerable buzzing at ~2k rpm are common. As well as discoloration, which is not a warranty issue. 1st gens generally discolor within a few thousand miles. If you have the 2nd gen Borla, do what you want. They are bullet proof. And no discoloration.

Which is why I asked which muffler you have.

Last edited:

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Anything you do to Borla parts voids the warranty. If you have the 1st gen Borla muffler, don't do anything to void the warranty, because you may need it. Cracked welds and rotten stuffing are common. As well as discoloration, which is not a warranty issue. If you have the 2nd gen Borla, do what you want. They are bullet proof. And no discoloration.

Have to agree on all points. My experience exactly.

B. West

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2012
Irvine, CA
So I got my 2nd generation FRPP muffler installed today at Hennessey Performance in Lake Forest. Thanks again to William and LJ. And, thanks to Kendalll as well.....always willing to take a phone call and willing to provide his expert advice. Thanks Kendall. This was no easy task. I did not realize how tight of a fit it was in there to get the stock muffler out. After dropping the transaxle just a bit and loosening the manifold, we were able to squeeze this monster stock can out. Didn't remove the bumper or clambshell but that probalby would have helped. I have to admit, the additional room the FRPP creates seems a bit odd but definitely lightens the load and aesthetically looks great. Am I paranoid or are my ears deceiving me?? The FRPP sounds quieter at idle than the stock. Maybe it is breathing better (flow). Whatever it is, it appears to be quieter at idle. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. I have only driven it 8 miles since the install so not completely sure about the sound at WOT. Aside from that I thought I would share some pics of a vehicle I know we all can appreciate.....the Hennessey Venom GT that set the land speed record. Sweet car.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 120
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 121
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 119

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Not much difference between stock and FRPP mufflers at idle. The start up blip should be noticeable. Get into the throttle and I guarantee you will hear the difference.

B. West

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2012
Irvine, CA
Thank you xcentric. I was beginning to wonder. I will open it up next time I take it out

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
My first GT came with the Borla, it really was very similar to the stock box at an idle, but like Xcentric said, put you right foot into it, and you'll be rewarded. A nice deep and mellow sound. My wife was able to fall asleep in the car at cruising speeds, so it really is a nice all around exhaust. I now have the GT Guys X-pipe, and it's a lot more "aggressive" at all times.

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
The Borla with the Ford long tube headers really sounds great. Really.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
^^^ What he said. I know you are in California, which, for all its pleasures still makes life difficult in many ways. I know you will enjoy your new FRPP/Borla muffler, but the FRPP/Borla long tube headers going into the FRPP/Borla muffler is eargasm. There are Californians who seem to manage this, as well as the rear exit headers.

I am forever indebted to Sinovac for leading me down the road to perdition.

The audio is mono, but if you have good PC speakers you will get the message.

[video=youtube_share;t3BDEZFj-Mw]http://youtu.be/t3BDEZFj-Mw[/video]