Installing FRPP muffler

B. West

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2012
Irvine, CA
Any advice on who can install a Ford Racing muffler in the OC? Is it something I could do myself? I can take it to any of my dealers but I think installation involves removing the clambshell. A little concerned about that. I also read where some have cut the tips off of the stock muffler to remove it. Any advice is appreciated.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Talk to Rich at the GT Guys. He told me you can do it without taking off the clamshell, but it still involves two people, and it looks to me like the risk of damaging it is pretty high if you don't take it off.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Hennessy or Stillen. Or up north a bit to Newhall and have Kendall/Ryan knock it out for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
You can remove it without taking off the rear deck, like I did, but if I had to do it again, I would remove it. Don't cut the tips on your OEM muffler. Easy job with the deck removed.

B. West

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2012
Irvine, CA
Thanks guys. I thought about Stillen and I talked to Ryan but he needs a lift. I may just have him come to one of my shops and use one of their lifts. Installing without removing the clambshell seems like an accident waiting to happen.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
The clamshell is so easy to R&R, there's no reason not to.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
The clamshell is so easy to R&R, there's no reason not to.

Especially if one is height challenged - :lol

beckertb

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
Beaumont, TX
FWIW, I changed out the OE muffler for an x-pipe. The removal was a bit tricky but I was able to remove it without removing the clamshell, loosening the transmission or damage to above structures. It is a tight fit, though.

ben

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
FWIW, I changed out the OE muffler for an x-pipe. The removal was a bit tricky but I was able to remove it without removing the clamshell, loosening the transmission or damage to above structures. It is a tight fit, though.

ben

That's because you're a "surgeon", not a hack like the rest of us (except for EP)

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
That's because you're a "surgeon", not a hack like the rest of us (except for EP)

Any reason you used quotation marks around 'surgeon'? Did Ben get one of those mail order medical school diplomas?

HPGT

GT Owner
Jul 31, 2012
Little Rock, AR
I removed my muffler with the help of my son. I did a detailed search. I balanced my end, and he rotated and lifted the driver side end- up and out. There was no contact or scraping, and I did not loosen the transmission bolts. I've never had a need to remove the clamshell

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Any reason you used quotation marks around 'surgeon'? Did Ben get one of those mail order medical school diplomas?
Nah, no inference as to what type of "surgeon" or how he obtained his medical license. Just saying he's more accustomed to operating on things, and obtaining a "successful" outcome!!!

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Yep it's not bad, certianly easy with the clamshell removed but it can be done either way. Just have a couple of plush towels around to cover up the painted bits and take your time.

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
Yep it's not bad, certianly easy with the clamshell removed but it can be done either way. Just have a couple of plush towels around to cover up the painted bits and take your time.

This is a little off subject, but a good investment is buying a dozen cheap moving pads on line. I use them all the time for lying things on ,covering things, what ever.

Planecrazy232

GT Owner
Nov 28, 2012
Cape Coral, FL

Well I'm a hack and I was able to pull my stock muffler and install an X-pipe all by myself without removing the clamshell. I did use a 4 post lift, and I did have to lower the transaxle for clearance but that was a non issue. Did the entire job by myself including lifting the old muffler out (which by the way is probably half my enormous body weight). No tape anywhere, I just covered the engine compartment with towels.

B. West

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2012
Irvine, CA
Well......I finally got my FRPP muffler in today. Can't wait to install it. I'm fairly handy so I may attempt to do it myself. Now the only question is, should I polish it (like Sinovac who has been a great source of info) or leave it stock?? Suggestions.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Where did you get it? FRPP hasn't sold that for quite awhile.

Are the ends flush with the can with external welds, or indented 1/2" with no visible welds?

Last edited:

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Borla still makes and sells them. They just say Borla instead of Ford Racing. New and improved welds too.

B. West

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2012
Irvine, CA
Where did you get it? FRPP hasn't sold that for quite awhile.

Are the ends flush with the can with external welds, or indented 1/2" with no visible welds?

I was able to source one. Super excited to hear the difference.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Hey B. Good find!
If you need another set of hands, and/or a lift let me know.