Service in New England

Rainmaker

Jun 17, 2014
Hi guys. I have an inquiry out on a four option 05. I ran a search on here and got the service schedule from the owner's manual which seems very straight forward. Still, I would prefer to have an experienced service provider care for it. I'm in RI; willing to travel up to 50 miles for competent service if I purchase the car. Anyone in my area known for servicing these?

Thanks in advance.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Hi guys. I have an inquiry out on a four option 05. I ran a search on here and got the service schedule from the owner's manual which seems very straight forward. Still, I would prefer to have an experienced service provider care for it. I'm in RI; willing to travel up to 50 miles for competent service if I purchase the car. Anyone in my area known for servicing these?

Thanks in advance.

Cant comment on experts in your area. I would however suggest a serious approach to an expert PPI and initial service by someone very very knowledgable. I would not hesitate to suggest shipping your car 1,000 mi , if need be, so it is not screwed up (I have done so several times). These are expensive and increasingly rare cars with few people who have done even oil changes, and very few who have done much more. The fee in shipping will seem like mere pennies if a non-expert screws something up. Many here, present company included, can vouch for that.

Last edited:

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
roketman and specracer aren't too far away from you in Mass. They will have some advice when they see your post.

Also, if you have the VIN, there are guys here who may know the car's history.

Good luck with the purchase!

Rainmaker

Jun 17, 2014
Thnx. A friend recommended a Dan Cummings in MA; not sure if he has one of those screen names. I do have the VIN but can't add it as an attachment so ill type it in later once I write it down.

I realize its a ten year old car so a proper PPI is in order. Anything in particular to look for like certain leaks ie oil etc? I hear clutch life is extensive on these. How about tire wear? What is realistic on a non tracked car that sees 1000 miles annually?

partssmann

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 1, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
See my PPI list link below. Like the others stated, a good PPI by an FGT tech is recommended.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php/28160-FGT-PPI-List

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Have the PPI look for physical things, e.g., damage repairs, etc. Leaks of course, but if you buy it you SHOULD get every fluid changed. Oil, coolant, trans fluid, supercharger oil, etc. if it runs, get it refreshed.

Good luck!!!

P.S. Let me add I skipped the PPI because the car was from a trusted source. The only thing that went wrong was the supercharger bearings blew out due to lack of lube, and that wasn't found until it was run for a couple of hours so wouldn't have showed up on a PPI anyway.

Last edited:

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
In RI Tasca Ford has a good reputation.I have never used them,but I know they have sold some GT’s over the years.I would strongly as in very recommend having one of the GT guys come out and do a PPI/.These guys are the very best and 2 of the nicest people you could meet.
2nd choice is I have my race car mechanic who is excellent.Dennis of the GT guys was even impressed. He could also do the PPI.
PM me and I can give you my cell if I can be of any further assistance.What color you getting?My guess yellow.
Best of luck,Ron

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
In RI Tasca Ford has a good reputation.I have never used them,but I know they have sold some GT’s over the years.I would strongly as in very recommend having one of the GT guys come out and do a PPI/.These guys are the very best and 2 of the nicest people you could meet.
2nd choice is I have my race car mechanic who is excellent.Dennis of the GT guys was even impressed. He could also do the PPI.
PM me and I can give you my cell if I can be of any further assistance.What color you getting?My guess yellow.
Best of luck,Ron

I'm in the Boston area and I'm going to use Ron's race car mechanic to do fluid changes/regular maintenance. I haven't used him yet but he's worked on Ron's car and that's good enough for me.

If you do get the car we should connect as I'd personally like to find one shop in New England that several of us use so they can get to know the car well and, hopefully, build a relationship with the GT Guys for more serious work. There's nothing like experience when it comes to diagnosing and fixing a problem.

Good luck with the purchase.

Rob

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Dennis of Gt guys fame has met my friend Malcolm and was very impressed

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Cant comment on experts in your area. I would however suggest a serious approach to an expert PPI and initial service by someone very very knowledgable. I would not hesitate to suggest shipping your car 1,000 mi , if need be, so it is not screwed up (I have done so several times). These are expensive and increasingly rare cars with few people who have done even oil changes, and very few who have done much more. The fee in shipping will seem like mere pennies if a non-expert screws something up. Many here, present company included, can vouch for that.
I completely agree!
PPI is a must.
If you can't or don't want to do the regular upkeep yourself, send the car to one of the experts on this site.
Best of luck with your buy.
Mark

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I know dan, he services at least one gt. I know he has a day job, not sure how much car work he does these days. Pm me if you need his number.

Rainmaker

Jun 17, 2014
Thanks guys. Still searching for the right one. I really like the white with blue stripes one elite auto currently has listed.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Best of luck with your purchase. I know how exciting it is.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Rainmaker: Some more details are in order. How many miles on the car? Any recent service or repairs? Any changes to the configuration? What did the PO do with it? Etc.? it's hard to give you suggestions on what to look for without this info. Ditto the recommendations of others: Get a PPI by someone knowledgable on these cars. Based on my extensive experience with maintaining, rebuilding, and occasionally racing cars over 40 years, I'm probably one of the most DIY-oriented guys on the list, and I wouldn't buy a FGT without a PPI, unless it's from a known and trusted source. Too many opportunities for really expensive problems. I rejected one car in Miami based on the PPI I had done there.

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Service on a gt is no more complicated than service on an '05 F150. If you have the disposable income to ship your car 1000 miles to change fluids... Peace. Otherwise find a local person you trust and walk through it with him/her with manual in hand. I prefer do do it all myself, the view from beneath is purpose built beauty. This forum will be here to help.

As for tire wear, mine seems to eat rears... I've heard that's a common issue.:wink

Best of luck with your purchase.