M2K Motorsports NEW GT Build (Mullet)

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
That looks like an expansion joint to me.

Ah, makes sense.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Another question: are you using the stock length rods, or do the custom rods and pistons allow a longer rod and shorter piston to increase the rod ratio (stock rod ratio is about 1.6)? I know the 5.4 modular engines last a long time, but I've never been comfortable with rod ratios much below 1.75. The longer the rod (the higher the rod ratio), the more torque the engine makes at any RPM. It's basically free horsepower, but the downside is you usually have to increase the deck height of the block to accommodate longer rods.

jbyrnes

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 13, 2006
Louisville CO
I'm curious what the plan is for filtering the intake air. Can't imagine a cleaner way to route all the plumbing.

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
wait till ya'll see the plating we are going to do on the plumbing. :)

MarkH

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 19, 2007
Katy, Texas
One other idea to consider: Put ceramic thermal barrier coatings (TBCs) on the piston tops, valve surfaces and inside of the combustion chamber, the exhaust port, and the inside and outside of the exhaust manifold or headers. Many race teams use this technique to cut down on heat transfer into the engine and increase exhaust velocity. This increases turbocharger efficiency too. Porsche air-cooled 911's used a TBC exhaust port during the last ten years or so of the air-cooled engine. It greatly reduces the heat transfer to the head. I don't know if they still use it in the water-cooled 911 engines. If I ever build a super-duper engine for my FGT, or my old 1973 911, or any other car, I will use this technology.

The piston tops are coated and all of the exhaust components and turbo housings will also be coated. These are just progress pics as we go along;)

MarkH

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 19, 2007
Katy, Texas
The fins on the crossover, are they for damping vibration Like droning? I am guessing they are too close to the point of exhaust exit for heat dissipation.

It is a inconel bellow. It is there to act as a H-Pipe and also as an expansion point to stabilize the exhaust pipes.

MarkH

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 19, 2007
Katy, Texas
I'm curious what the plan is for filtering the intake air. Can't imagine a cleaner way to route all the plumbing.

We are piping the 4" air intakes so that the filters will sit in front of the side scoop inlets to take advantage of the cool air coming in to the engine bay.

MarkH

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 19, 2007
Katy, Texas
Another question: are you using the stock length rods, or do the custom rods and pistons allow a longer rod and shorter piston to increase the rod ratio (stock rod ratio is about 1.6)? I know the 5.4 modular engines last a long time, but I've never been comfortable with rod ratios much below 1.75. The longer the rod (the higher the rod ratio), the more torque the engine makes at any RPM. It's basically free horsepower, but the downside is you usually have to increase the deck height of the block to accommodate longer rods.

That is a John Mihovetz question. I see where your coming from but I believe the rod length is stock. I know that he has his reasons for the things he does and who are we to argue with the great success we have had with his engine program;))

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
The packaging and workmanship are off the charts.
Congrats!
Best,
Mark

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
Interested in hearing more about the MoTec anti lag/traction/launch control functions. Sounds like a great build!

MarkH

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 19, 2007
Katy, Texas
Here is another updated photo of Mullet's build with the air induction. Naoto Negeshi will be flying down from California to start preparing for the customized MoTec wiring harness this Friday. After he designs the harness over the weekend we will disassemble and send everything off to be coated... Just wait till you see the finished product... You will not believe it.... Trust me!!!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 1,116

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Wow,

Will you be keeping a TransAxle cooler? Where will you locate that?

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
Here is another updated photo of Mullet's build with the air induction. Naoto Negeshi will be flying down from California to start preparing for the customized MoTec wiring harness this Friday. After he designs the harness over the weekend we will disassemble and send everything off to be coated... Just wait till you see the finished product... You will not believe it.... Trust me!!!!!

:biggrin:biggrin

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I've heard rumors about the plating and I don't beleive it.

The workmanship looks top notch, really impressive welding and design layout. Its a really cool idea to pull air from those scopes in the front (any concerns about water getting in?). Kudos to M2K!

Last edited:

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas

The workmanship looks top notch, really impressive welding and design layout. Its a really cool idea to pull air from those scopes in the front (any concerns about water getting in?). Kudos to M2K!

believe the rumors! :)

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Since when does putting the air filters up to where the air actually comes into the car make any sense? :) Nice job!

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Yikes!!! I can't imagine what it must be like to drive that beast at full power. Congratulations.

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx

Ok since they are rumors then lets hear them :)

The work so far is incredible

fordification

Aug 9, 2005
wrong thread