1966 Le Mans winner to be auctioned

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
http://www.racer.com/more/road-cars/item/103996-le-mans-winning-ford-gt40-to-go-up-for-auction

phpThumb.php

The 1966 Le Mans-winning Ford GT40, chassis number P/1046 is now back in its Le Mans livery and up for sale this fall at London's Hampton Court Concours of Elegance.

Driven by Bruce McLaren and Chris Amon at Le Mans in 1966, P/1046 was something of an accidental winner (pictured) when the race-leading GT40 car of Ken Miles and Denny Hulme was asked to slow down to allow the second- and third-placed team cars of McLaren /Amon and Ronnie Bucknum/Dick Hutcherson to line up for a photo finish. Ford's intent was to have all three cars cross the line simultaneously, signifying that a car, not a particular driver, had won the race. But McLaren's car was ruled to have traveled eight meters farther in the equivalent time, so it was awarded the victory.

The Hampton Court Concours of Elegance will take place Sept. 5-7 at London's Hampton Court Palace. For additional details, visit www.ConcoursOfElegance.co.uk

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Mmp.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I'd be a little surprised if they bought it. I think the cars they've been buying really set the floor for their seriously significant ones. Unless they want to spend a metric ton of gold to make the point, I'd probably let someone else do it for me.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Miles Collier. Every car in his collection has historic significance. He already has P1031/1047 and 1049.

Come on Miles...we're counting on you to bring this car to Florida!

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Recently a basketball franchise sold for $2B. I think the Utah Jazz could probably go out and get a home improvement loan that would cover the cost of this car, and nearly be lost in the rounding. MMP...

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
Didn't George Stauffer used to own that car? It was at Road America a couple of times for the GT40 reunions.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
So, what's the number? $8 million? Ten? Ten plus? This was the first LeMans winner after all. Maybe a new high for GT40 prices? What did the McQueen camera car go for, $11 million?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
The McQueen car had a colorful history, but there's no comparison. I would not be surprised to see it go for a number that starts with a 2, especially given the timing of the sale. There's going to be a lot of GT fever over the next couple of years as anniversary dates are hit.

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
" ...I would not be surprised to see it go for a number that starts with a 2, especially given the timing of the sale. There's going to be a lot of GT fever over the next couple of years as anniversary dates are hit."

That should be the case, especially with various Ferrari's routinely going for $15-20 million without an ounce of this car's racing provenance.

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
" ...I would not be surprised to see it go for a number that starts with a 2, especially given the timing of the sale. There's going to be a lot of GT fever over the next couple of years as anniversary dates are hit."

That should be the case, especially with various Ferrari's routinely going for $15-20 million without an ounce of this car's racing provenance.

23+. There I said it.

Vince H

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I would be very surprised if this car sold for under $18m.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Is that your opening bid?

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Is that your opening bid?

Do you think I'm a piker? I'll come in at the highest bid plus $1m. However, I must cut short my lunch with the Queen of England so I don't miss the auction.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Do you think I'm a piker? I'll come in at the highest bid plus $1m. However, I must cut short my lunch with the Queen of England so I don't miss the auction.

Have you been Knighted yet? I'm sadly out of date following this.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida

Are you kidding? Sinovac is Barrister of the Month in Barristerboy magazine. Hot stuff!

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Are you kidding? Sinovac is Barrister of the Month in Barristerboy magazine. Hot stuff!

Yep

Turn ons: freshly cut grass
Turn offs: short men wearing Ronald McDonald sneakers

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida

My wife has tried to Knight me several times with a 9 iron. Good thing she is a hack.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
I guess my question is.......

Why doesn't FORD own this car...and why isn't it in "the Henry Ford" museum???

:frown

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
I guess my question is.......

Why doesn't FORD own this car...and why isn't it in "the Henry Ford" museum???

:frown

Assuming that wasn't a rhetorical quesiton, the same reason the FGT prototypes and preproduction cars are in private hands. Lots of people with a lot of money out there. The cost to 'reclaim' it probably doesn't make sense from the bean counters standpoint.